• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car starts but dies after 1 second

yes main relay, or the ignition switch. those are the only 2 things it could be

if you have an aftermarket alarm that the moron Alarm guys installed probably shorted out the main relay.

also if they Hacked up the ingnition switch to install the alarm just buy a new one.

I had the same thing happen to mine. it was an aftermarket Alpine alarm

also another trick to see if its the main relay start the car with the gas pedal pressed all the way down. if the car starts and the RPM's go up- to 3-4K before the car dies its your main relay

Last edited:
yes main relay, or the ignition switch. those are the only 2 things it could be
Not true. Mine had the same symptoms when it jumped the timing.

However, the main relay is the most likely culprit. It's also relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. So replacing it is the first thing I would do. (In fact, it's the first thing I tried when mine jumped the timing.)

Like others have said, main relay or ignition switch. Also check the age/condition of your battery. If the battery is sulfated and not holding charge enough, it will cause this as well.

Try to start the car and hold the key at position III; if the car stays running, it's your ignition switch.

Try to start the car and hold the key at position III; if the car stays running, it's your ignition switch.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126038

Yep, it's the ignition switch.

No dash lights at position II. Car stays running and dash lights are on if I hold it at position III. Soon as I let go of the key car dies.

Earlier today I jiggled the key in the position II for a good bit. It seemed to temporarily fix the problem. It runs now and I'm not able to replicate the problem.

I guess I will be cleaning the ignition switch this weekend. I'm going to go ahead and buy an extra main relay and ignition switch just in case.

Thanks Prime! :smile:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126038

Yep, it's the ignition switch.

No dash lights at position II. Car stays running and dash lights are on if I hold it at position III. Soon as I let go of the key car dies.

Earlier today I jiggled the key in the position II for a good bit. It seemed to temporarily fix the problem. It runs now and I'm not able to replicate the problem.

I guess I will be cleaning the ignition switch this weekend. I'm going to go ahead and buy an extra main relay and ignition switch just in case.

Thanks Prime! :smile:
This is something I have not addressed yet. I need to do this "before" I need too.

Can someone please give me the part number for the ignition switch? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you!

attachment.php

Curious as to why an ignition switch fails...

Dirty contacts? Worn out surfaces?

Thanks for posting up the part number, this will surely assist others

I need to replace my electrical portion of the ignition switch as well. Exact same symptom as the OP, and in fact the same symptoms as my previous NSX and Legend as well. On my previous 92 NSX I had it go out around 100K miles back around 2009. This car is actually in my brothers possession. My current 92 has just gone bad at 49K miles. My old 93 Legend I recall went bad around 110K miles.

Back