• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Start Stop

greetings gang, car starts but turns off immediately after. Any suggestions before I tow to the mechanic? i tried giving gas but once i let up it dies.

greetings gang, car starts but turns off immediately after. Any suggestions before I tow to the mechanic? i tried giving gas but once i let up it dies.
Sounds like the main relay. Could also be the fuel pump resistor.

It runs ok but dies seconds later even if I try to rev it

If it starts and then dies as soon as you return the key to the run position that is a classic dirty / worn out ignition switch problem.

If you can keep it running after returning the key to the run position by applying throttle; but, it dies if you let off the throttle that is not an ignition switch problem and sounds like an idle control problem. I would be looking at
- dirty throttle body passages
- bunged cold start idle valve
- dirty or bunged EACV

Did this problem creep up on you or happen all of a sudden?

I agree this happened all of a sudden but I’m also not thinking it’s relay so you may be correct.

If it starts and runs briefly its probably not the main relay. If you can keep it running by applying some throttle then it might be idle control. If it starts and then dies regardless of what you do with the throttle then it is probably fuel supply related and that could be lots of things - failing fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, power supply to the pump (the resistor), MAP sensor, ECU problem .... Try using the service check connector to see if there are any stored codes that point you in a particular direction. If you don't have any codes and you are not prepared for or don't have the time for a deep dive then tow it to a competent mechanic.

If it starts and runs briefly its probably not the main relay. If you can keep it running by applying some throttle then it might be idle control. If it starts and then dies regardless of what you do with the throttle then it is probably fuel supply related and that could be lots of things - failing fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, power supply to the pump (the resistor), MAP sensor, ECU problem .... Try using the service check connector to see if there are any stored codes that point you in a particular direction. If you don't have any codes and you are not prepared for or don't have the time for a deep dive then tow it to a competent mechanic.
Towing to Japanese mechanic on Saturday so he can diagnose, I’ll keep you guys posted thank you much

Back