• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon fiber console double din

That interior looks Amazing! yes just how i would like to have my interior but with the ashtray in it , just to make it more of a consistent look and also have the power plug avail but i would love to replicate your interior on mine! Very nice synergy004.
I would def pay 500 or $600 for that console and also the armrest in CF, very nice! Any advice where i can get mines done the same ?

Thank You Sir.

As for the consoles is everyone more interested in an overlay of brand new OEM consoles or a pure carbon pc?

That interior looks Amazing! yes just how i would like to have my interior but with the ashtray in it , just to make it more of a consistent look and also have the power plug avail but i would love to replicate your interior on mine! Very nice synergy004.
I would def pay 500 or $600 for that console and also the armrest in CF, very nice! Any advice where i can get mines done the same ?
Ross at STMPO did some wrapping awhile back. I bought a wrapped armrest/glovebox lid, and knee bolster. All look quite nice.

This is very disappointing to hear (not attacking your statement, just making an observation in general). You always get what you pay for and there is no difference with car parts. I consider the NSX to be a unique car and worthy of parts that have a top end fit/finish. There are options on the market for cheaper consoles that may or may not have that OEM fitment and I would recommend those that don't want to pay $600 for the part, go and acquire one of the cheaper units. I personally am willing to pay for something that is going to be as good as the original except in CF. I thought about buying a procar one but spent so much time trying to navigate the thread and see what parts are actually available and in stock that I gave up. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Based on a discussion with a member in another thread, I briefly looked into making this myself out of plastic on a 3D printer and applying carbon wrap. I have a few projects on the go at the moment so my time is limited to explore further however I'd be interested in hearing from other members who have 3D printing and/or CAD experience. The stage that I got to with my investigations was that this is certainly doable however economies of scale would likely be difficult to achieve on low production numbers with the current state of 3D printing technology (I suppose the story for all NSX parts).

It is very possible to reverse engineer the OEM console and have it rapid prototyped with a 3D printer, and have a carbon overlay added on. The probelm would be price. From my experience with 3D printing, a part like this would cost roughly $1000 because of the size and geometry of the part. This price of course depends on quantity. It would take a ton of machine time because of the angle of the part (building layer by layer up, you have to add support material below). The piece would also be brittle (most likely) and would not withstand being used as a finished part.

Also, the cost of a 3D printer that has a bed able to produce a part like this would cost well into the $100-200k range.

You can reverse engineer the part for injection molding, which would be the best solution, but you are looking at easily $25,000 in tooling costs, and this would be for a piece with no cutouts. This is also not including finishing the part, applying carbon, painting, etc. If SOS did something like this, they would probably have about $10,000 in R&D for the part, $15,000 in mold changes, and about $250 worth of overlaying and finishing to each part before selling. So at the $500/each price point, they would have to sell over 200 pieces before breaking even...not a good business proposition.

Last edited:
My favorate piece STMPO ever wrapped was the door handles.. but the center consul was done numerous times by them as well.

a couple in frp... a couple oem overlays.

5435e987.jpg

8fd29953.jpg

d01c6556.jpg

7a5d3375.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dont ask... no amount of money outside of 5 digets would get me to even consider making a cf part again

I used to make carbon overlays, thats a lot of boring tedious work.

Now, I produce parts via vacuum infusion with nice molds so it's a bit easier for production use.

I used to make carbon overlays, thats a lot of boring tedious work.

Now, I produce parts via vacuum infusion with nice molds so it's a bit easier for production use.

Same here, vacuum bag or infusion is the way to go.

We bagged every part as well... had to make a jig to hold the center consul and door switch panels...

I wonder if that is why the vendors who tried center consuls couldnt get them to fit... well.. im done thinking about that...

Your car is coming along nicely synergy

I too have been really curious about CNC machining as well.

Since the piece is rather intricate and all the tolerances have to be in check to have a proper fitment, my idea was to make a plug mold from a Polyisocyanurate foam with the flanges and all. Then go through the steps of finishing etc etc.

Last edited:
Back