• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

CARFAX terms/customer agreement

folks,

i often see requests here on prime asking for other prime members to use their carfax accounts to run reports on their behalf.

yet, when i read the carfax customer (click wrap) agreement, in part it says, "redistribution of CARFAX Reports is strictly prohibited and may lead to deactivation of my account and the imposition of additional charges for CARFAX Reports."

when i read "redistribution is strictly prohibited" this seems to be misuse and in direct conflict with the stated agreement terms, however convenient it may be for prime users.

comments, thoughts?

I had Carfax for a month before I bought my car and ran lots of reports. The way I read the agreement was that I couldn't redistribute for any commercial reason. I saw nothing that came right out and said I couldn't run them for friends.

Anyway, after I ran about 40, I got redirected to this nice legal looking click-through screen that warned me these were for personal use only but again I didn't see any explicit language about running them for free for others. I slowed down at that point but probably did another 6 or 8 before my time ran out and never heard anything else from them.

CarFax is crap anyway. They have a monopoly on information that may or not be correct. There are no checks and balances put in place to make sure their information is right.

White92 said:
CarFax is crap anyway. They have a monopoly on information that may or not be correct. There are no checks and balances put in place to make sure their information is right.
sure, i understand what you're saying... but that's a different issue than what i was asking about.

bodypainter said:
I had Carfax for a month before I bought my car and ran lots of reports. The way I read the agreement was that I couldn't redistribute for any commercial reason. I saw nothing that came right out and said I couldn't run them for friends.

Anyway, after I ran about 40, I got redirected to this nice legal looking click-through screen that warned me these were for personal use only but again I didn't see any explicit language about running them for free for others. I slowed down at that point but probably did another 6 or 8 before my time ran out and never heard anything else from them.
gotcha, thx.

today's IP issues being what they are (say, after the recent p2p file sharing decisions), i'm surprised there isn't more attention by them to the issue. i suppose it's because there's more value to them in the distribution of their reports - whether in compliance with their interpretation of their agreement or not - than spending resources on enforcement for another <$100 purchase.

have a good 4th.
hal

Bingo. It's the Microsoft model. Piracy leads to ubiquity which leads to market dominance. Wink wink nudge nudge...

bodypainter said:
Bingo. It's the Microsoft model. Piracy leads to ubiquity which leads to market dominance. Wink wink nudge nudge...
(i'm in the software biz and...) i often hear it called "heroinware" or "crack biz model".

cheesy, but there it is....

have a good 4th.

Back