• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CD Changer

I read the FAQ at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Accessories/sound.htm and saw the following "[BZA - 99/9/12] I purchased [an Alpine CHM-S620] today and installed it in my '91. I paid $254.99 at Circuit City. I purchased the M-bus version of the CHM-620 so I did not need another cable."

This is the same unit I just ordered online, my question is do I really NOT need the PEI cable/adapter? I thought it was a must for ALL alpine changers. Anyone know?
Thanks Mike
P.S. I'm having some serious problems staying out of my car. I can't stop driving it everyday. Are there any self help books for NSX addicts out there
wink.gif

You DO need the ACUALP cable for any Alpine branded change you use with the factory stereo.

You do not need the AiNET-to-MBus converter cable if you use an MBus changer.

Thanks LUD much obliged.

After closer inspection, looks like the ACUALP is already installed. Sweeet!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by NSX Wanna B (edited 18 April 2002).]

Sony came out with mp3 10 CD discs changer will it work with NSX radio ? This is hours and hours of music
smile.gif

Thanks,

I bought the same changer at Circuit City in Phoenix about 3 weeks ago for only $219.99, regular price. The cable was $29.99.

Originally posted by SCS2k:
I bought the same changer at Circuit City in Phoenix about 3 weeks ago for only $219.99, regular price. The cable was $29.99.

I found it at electronics.com for 184.99 + 15 shipping (but no tax)
smile.gif

Originally posted by winreboot:
Sony came out with mp3 10 CD discs changer will it work with NSX radio?

No, only Alpine units that can talk MBus will plug-and-play.

Originally posted by NSX Wanna B:
I purchased [an Alpine CHM-S620] today and installed it in my '91. I paid $254.99 at Circuit City.

I also bought an Alpine S620 for my '94, but I quickly returned it and bought the new Alpine S630 changer, which fully supports CD-R/RW (it says so on the box).

The nice thing about it is that it's a new model, it plays CD-R's, and it costs the same as the S620. It works flawlessy for me (I play mostly CD-R's).

Circuit City will accept your returns within 30 days, I believe. You can get the S630 at etronics.com for ~$185 plus shipping. I believe there may be some etronics coupons out there also, so do a Google search on that.

[This message has been edited by whs520 (edited 19 April 2002).]

Originally posted by whs520:
The nice thing about it is that it's a new model, it plays CD-R's, and it costs the same as the S620. It works flawlessy for me (I play mostly CD-R's).

My stock CD changer in my '91 will play CD-Rs with no problem (however they are CD-R "music for audio recording" discs - not computer CDRs).

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I didn't know that there was any difference between data and audio CD-Rs (other than an extra royalty fee).

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I didn't know that there was any difference between data and audio CD-Rs (other than an extra royalty fee).

-Jim

I believe the Music CDRs are designed to be recorded on a stereo component type recorder (this ensures the use of SCMS-Serial Copy Management System). They can then be played back (theoretically) on any CD player - including computer CD drives. Music recorded on Computer CDRs won't play on most stereo components.

If there were no difference in the discs why would anybody pay the extra royalty fee?

MP3 files recorded onto CDRs are a different can of worms.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Mine plays CD-Rs just fine. I've made all of them on my computer. CD-RWs do not work though.

Originally posted by SCS2k:
Mine plays CD-Rs just fine. I've made all of them on my computer.

Did you use computer CD-Rs?

CD-RWs do not work though.

I believe CD-RW will only play on other CD-RW machines.

I am in the Audio/Video industry as my trade and even I can't keep all of the various formats straight on what will play what when.

Music CDRs made on my home stereo CD recorder play fine in my '91 NSX factory CD changer and my 2000 Kenwood CD player in my '93 MR2, but not my 1998 high end Kenwood CD player in my '91 CRX. They play fine in my home Laserdisc/CD players but only sometimes in my 1999 DVD/CD changer
rolleyes.gif

I guess "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

P.S. And you thought picking a supercharger was hard.
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 19 April 2002).]

The CDs I've most often used are Memorex CD-R recordable 80min/700MB "professional compact disc". I bought them at Comp USA in a package of 50 for $30. I've also use TDK CD-Rs as well as Maxell. As long as they are CD-R I've never had a problem. All recordings have been made by my computer. A Hewlett-Packard if anyone is interested.

The supercharger thing was easy, I bought the Comptech.

Back