• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Centre console paint colour

I've used search but didn't find what I was looking for; I think the OEM center console originally used some kind of metallic film instead of paint for colour because it's "blistered" a bit in places. I'd like to remove it and paint the console, but I want the OEM color (I have a '91 with a black interior).

Has anyone found a paint colour match for the OEM center console?
Where can I buy some?

I know it's not "real" but as an alternative I'm considering 3M Di-NOC carbon fiber film. I've heard it may have trouble staying adhered when it gets really hot. Does using Primer94 address this problem?

Tks!

The closest I could find is Duplicolor's Honda Graphite Grey 88-00928 which is available at Canadian Tire. Other Primers have used it too - there are a couple of threads with pics, etc.

On a related note, the OEM painting process for the center console is really quite unique. It looks like an anodized finish applied to a metal base which has been applied to the underlying plastic. When the finish starts bubbling up it's the metal base separating from the plastic, not the colour separating from the metal.

I ended up scraping off all of the metal finish and then laid down a thin coat of Evercoat Rage Gold auto body filler.

Cheers,
Ian

I had the same problem and just ended up going with Krylon Fusion Gloss Black. It was a MAJOR pain in the arse to get the metallic coating off.

I am however thinking about having a guy I know at the vinyl shop completely re-wrap it if we can find a film close enough in color. If that is the case I will let you guys know what I come across.

ENT is right, I believe originally it was 880-0928 but was replaced by BHA0928 Graphite Grey Met (NH91M), Perfect Match by Dupli-Color. I ordered mine on-line someplace, but many auto parts stores carry it. I have the BHA0928 Graphite Grey Met (NH91M) Duplicates Original HONDA Colors.

I used it to touch up my console. It is very close, but not perfect. Maybe because my dash was 20 years old. Nobody has mentioned noticing the difference, but I can tell.

I'm sure nobody would ever be able to tell the difference from the console to the other parts, like the arm rests if the two colors aren't side by side. Like I said, I used it to touch up a few scratches on my console and nobody seems to notice them. I do, mostly because I know they are there.

Last edited:
I tested Rustoleum oil-rubbed bronze and Dupli-Color BHA0928 Graphite Grey Met (NH91M) and felt Dupli-Color was a closer match.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back