• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Change the timing belt?

After one week of owning my 92 NSX I brought it over to the Acura dealership to get the oil changed and let them give it the once over.

They came back with a short list of things to be done including the biggest item....the timing belt & water pump changeout. The car is not due by mileage because it only has 55K, but it is due by time (10 years).

Does anyone have any input on this subject? Should I just suck it up now and spend the $1,500.00 or can I wait 3 to 6 months?

Congratulations on your new car!!

I would say -do it now (the risks aren't worth a 3 to 6 month delay-JMHO). Also a good idea to check/change all the radiator hoses (if this has not already been done).

P.S. I assume you are not in the "snap ring range"?
------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 18 April 2002).]

I think the FN needs to provide a few links on this repeatedly discussed topic.
smile.gif

Whatever you do, don't spend $1500 for a timing belt/water pump change. My dealer quoted me $590 for labor and I can order the parts for around $250. My dealer was willing to drill a hole in the old cover to save me $120 for a new one.

Congrats on your new purchase! If you are ever in the Monroe area, I would love to check out your car!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Originally posted by gobble:
Whatever you do, don't spend $1500 for a timing belt/water pump change. My dealer quoted me $590 for labor and I can order the parts for around $250. My dealer was willing to drill a hole in the old cover to save me $120 for a new one.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
I just spent $1550 on timing belt, water pump, and 2 gaskets.

I disagree with the opinion to get the cheapest possible price for this. I think establishing a relationship with your local dealer can bring benefits beyond saving a few hundred dollars. This is especially true if you plan to keep the car a while - they will be able to help you for years. YMMV.

Originally posted by rickro:
After one week of owning my 92 NSX I brought it over to the Acura dealership to get the oil changed and let them give it the once over.

They came back with a short list of things to be done including the biggest item....the timing belt & water pump changeout. The car is not due by mileage because it only has 55K, but it is due by time (10 years).

First of all, even though it is Monday morning quarterbacking, having your dealer give it the "once over" should have been done before you made the purchase. This is something I insisted upon with I bought my '94. The seller was initially resistant, but when it became clear that either my tech sees it, or I walk, he relented.

As for the timing belt, change it now. The dealer cost seems a little high, but if it's a dealer that you trust, it could be worth it rather than finding a cheap place you never heard of. I don't know of anyplace in Louisiana that's good, but perhaps someone else here will chime in with a good local shop for you. For something as crucial as the timing belt, it wouldn't bother me a bit to drive 100 or so miles to a good shop.

Do also check out that snap ring thingee.

-Bob ('94 #496)

Originally posted by Michigan NSX

I would say -do it now (the risks aren't worth a 3 to 6 month delay-JMHO). Also a good idea to check/change all the radiator hoses (if this has not already been done).

P.S. I assume you are not in the "snap ring range"?[/B]

Rickro-
Michigan NSX has great advice. Make sure your mechanic is Acura certified, knows the NSX well and has done these procedures several times-worth the extra $. The radiator hoses should be affordable. These cars respond quite well to preventive maintenance. How's the gumbo?

Originally posted by flaminio:
First of all, even though it is Monday morning quarterbacking, having your dealer give it the "once over" should have been done before you made the purchase. This is something I insisted upon with I bought my '94. The seller was initially resistant, but when it became clear that either my tech sees it, or I walk, he relented.

As for the timing belt, change it now. The dealer cost seems a little high, but if it's a dealer that you trust, it could be worth it rather than finding a cheap place you never heard of. I don't know of anyplace in Louisiana that's good, but perhaps someone else here will chime in with a good local shop for you. For something as crucial as the timing belt, it wouldn't bother me a bit to drive 100 or so miles to a good shop.

Do also check out that snap ring thingee.

Thanks for the advice. I am really reluctant to let anyone but a certified Acura tech.work on the car.I want a tech. who has been trained for the NSX. There is only one guy at Baton Rouge Acura, his name is Jay. I really like his attitude and he seems meticulous. Has anyone had any work done in Louisiana? I am definitely going to get the work done now.

-Bob ('94 #496)

Originally posted by NSX-Ster:
Rickro-
Michigan NSX has great advice. Make sure your mechanic is Acura certified, knows the NSX well and has done these procedures several times-worth the extra $. The radiator hoses should be affordable. These cars respond quite well to preventive maintenance. How's the gumbo?

We have left the gumbo weather behind. We are up to 85 degrees with 85%humidity! We have moved into the Jambalaya and boiled crayfish season. Oh, and the beer. Let me know when you get this way and I'll treat you to some true coon ass food....Dude.

Originally posted by NSX-Ster:
Rickro

Oh, and the beer. Let me know when you get this way and I'll treat you to some true coon ass food....Dude.

Dude- oh that coon ass food! I'm getting
misty. Hand me another cold one.

"I disagree with the opinion to get the cheapest possible price for this. I think establishing a relationship with your local dealer can bring benefits beyond saving a few hundred dollars. This is especially true if you plan to keep the car a while - they will be able to help you for years. YMMV."

So you're suggesting that you overpay for service to get on the good side of your dealer? Must be nice to have money to burn.

Originally posted by gobble:
"I disagree with the opinion to get the cheapest possible price for this. I think establishing a relationship with your local dealer can bring benefits beyond saving a few hundred dollars. This is especially true if you plan to keep the car a while - they will be able to help you for years. YMMV."

So you're suggesting that you overpay for service to get on the good side of your dealer? Must be nice to have money to burn.

It's not so much money to burn -- the NSX is not a Civic. If a dealer with an NSX certified technician charges $1500, and Joe's Garage will do it for $800, where would you take your car? Now, if Don's Garage were 100 miles away, and Don was a certified NSX tech, and Don charged $800, I'd make the drive. But no way would I let Joe touch the car -- I'll pay the extra money.

-Bob

I took my 1991 with 60,000 miles on it to superior acura to have it checked out and the service rep said they just recieved a new service bulletin that said they have changed the requirement for have the timing belt changed from 72 months or 90,000 miles to just 90,000 miles they did away with years to change it and said that i should wait to have it done until 90,000 miles. I also shipped it to brookfield acura in Wis to have the cam timimg,cam plugs,valve adjustment,new plugs and vavle cover gaskets changed and they did not say it was time to change it either.

Originally posted by kevin Ratekin:

I took my 1991 with 60,000 miles on it to superior acura to have it checked out and the service rep said they just recieved a new service bulletin that said they have changed the requirement for have the timing belt changed from 72 months or 90,000 miles to just 90,000 miles they did away with years to change it and said that i should wait to have it done until 90,000 miles...

I'm scheduled to get my timing belt done next week... is there a service bulletin # to which I can refer my Acura dealer? I'm all for maintenence but if Honda says it's not really necessary then personally I'd rather save the $1500.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

I'm talking about paying less than $1000 at Acura of Brookfield. It's one of the best NSX shops in the midwest. People come from all over because they're very good. Check them our in the FAQ under dealer reviews. Part of being a trustworthy dealer is that don't overcharge their customers. $1500 is too much.

I did say my "dealer" will charge $590 for labor, not the corner garage. I obviously woudn't take an NSX to the corner garage.

The service tech didn't give me a service bulletin number but he did say they just recieved it and that was about 3 months ago .I will try to find out what that number is if i can.I know that john Vasos at brookfield Acura went conpletely throught my car and never said it was time for a timing belt and he is suppost to be one of Acura's top techs.

Rickro,

I hadthe exact scenario as yours as mine had 69,000 miles. After that anxiety of breaking the belt Mark Basch do not it ASAP.
As far as charges from dealer, I called them over the phone told them I have been quoted $1050 out the including water pump. They easily agreed. Of course the tech has to be nsx master tech, that all I care. $1500 is a rip off, that my opinion.
Lastly, I look at it this way. $1000 for 10 more years of fun w/o anxiety.
Danny

Sorry for the bad post. I email Mark Basch he said do it ASAP. That was $1050 out the door including water pump (new type) drilling the old timing cover and replace all grommets and gasket in the valve covers. And of course new radiator fluids. I have mine for 3 months, it is awesome. Enjoy

The place i took it to was superior i was not to impressed thats why i sent it to brookfield in Wis to have the service done,also superior was $82.00 and hour and brookfield which is much better and can probably complete the job in half the time is $76.00 and hour.

Originally posted by kevin Ratekin:
I also shipped it to brookfield acura in Wis to have the cam timimg,cam plugs,valve adjustment,new plugs and vavle cover gaskets changed and they did not say it was time to change it either.

what do you mean when you say "cam timing"? How does one change cam timing on a stock NSX without removing the timing belt? Why would you have it changed?

If they replaced your cam plugs then it seems that they would also need to remove the timing belt. If they removed the timing belt then it seems they would put a new one back on because there is no method to properly tension an old timing belt.

DanO

I just recently came back from Mullers Woodfield Acura in CHicago. I highly recommend them. Top NSX tech, great customer service. They only charged me 1244.43 for timing belt and water pump, then decided to give me a 10% discount on parts. So it wound up being a 1100 or so job.

I only have 55,000 miles on the NSX I bought, but I changed the timing belt because I sure do not want to have a extremely pricey engine job (Im guessing about $7000 for it) if it does go out. I rather do it and live free without a worry then to drive it with that nagging engine job at the back of my mind.

Back