• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an NSX over the competition?

So i'm not sure when it happened but this year i had started to look more and more at the nsx (gen1). Now in the following 1-5 months i am looking at buying an nsx or another competitive sports car for my next 'toy' car. For my daily i have a work truck and for a project to keep me busy i have a 92 slicktop 300zx (long term restoration big power kinda build). I have been looking at tons of threads on prime for the last couple months and absorbing all i can. I was looking at the 97-01 models for the 3.2L, variable p/s, pop-up headlights, and the targa. the weight/rigidity don't outweigh the pros for me.

Now in that budget there are a number of cars that i am also interested in, i want some input on these in comparison to a nsx.

-R35 GTR
-Lotus Exige
-Cayman R
-370z
-Z06

Now these are all very different choices. As of right now i put the nsx at the top. I am not too interested in having a crazy fast car, but i think i would probably enjoy a car that is fun to drive and is very responsive to the driver. Also a car that goes fast but drives itself i think is boring, i want my skill level to reflect in how fast the car can go. I also think that having a smooth and enjoyable ride is also important, a road trip worthy car is something that i think would be a requirement to get the most out of the car.

So now for another comparison:

the cars mentioned above vs a 3.2L nsx with:

-CTSC / SOS @ 400whp
-KW V3
-Stoptech Brakes/Front + Rear
-NSX-R Bars + STMPO Front + Rear bars
-Exhaust

Now the performance is very comparable and exceeding in some parts. But will the following mods ruin how the nsx feels? Will it become something else? I hear constantly that the nsx has character and has a drive like no other. I think that is whats entices me the most. I love to modify cars and i think having an nsx wouldnt be any different but i would hope to reach solid performance (paper #'s lol) without ruining how the car feels and drives.

Previous history:

My first project car was a 2006 tiburon. Built engine, full exhaust, supercharged, intercooler, stereo, custom suspension, coils, lsd, clutch + FW, catch cans + evac system, custom tune, methanol, injectors etc, etc, etc. 320whp, 260wtq / 30000lbs. So its pretty quick and the response is amazing, very fun to drive. But now i am ready for the next step up. The tiburon was a great car to learn on but i am at the limit of how the car behaves now. It is quite a handful on the street.

Best Regards,
Reuben

You can eliminate the R35 GTR if you're not looking for a car that drives itself.
The Exige's limited cargo space might put a damper on the whole road-tripping requirement.
I have an '09 Cayman S for DD which is very comfortable and capable so I'd imagine the R is similar (a little more raw and rare).

I also think that having a smooth and enjoyable ride is also important, a road trip worthy car is something that i think would be a requirement to get the most out of the car.

Cross the Exige off the list in my opinion. I think it is a GREAT car and will put a huge smile on your face when you drive it. It roars around corners and is nimble as hell. Zero on the comfort factor though. It's small and stiff - which is what you want for zipping around, but not what you will want for long drives.

You can eliminate the R35 GTR if you're not looking for a car that drives itself.
The Exige's limited cargo space might put a damper on the whole road-tripping requirement.
I have an '09 Cayman S for DD which is very comfortable and capable so I'd imagine the R is similar (a little more raw and rare).

How comparable is the cayman to the nsx? Always liked both. Although its weird i can't get the nsx out of my head, the more i look the more i want more then anything. Just trying to get a good idea of other options i have before pulling the trigger lol.

And yeah the R35 has performance but just doesnt seem like the right choice. My father has a 550hp+ mustang. Its very fast in a straight line and rides pretty decent, but its not a car i would enjoy driving, it felt like: only fast + plastic + random noises (squeaks, clunks, exhaust).

Cross the Exige off the list in my opinion. I think it is a GREAT car and will put a huge smile on your face when you drive it. It roars around corners and is nimble as hell. Zero on the comfort factor though. It's small and stiff - which is what you want for zipping around, but not what you will want for long drives.

Yeah i listed it mainly because its been one of my favorite cars, but i think i would probably drive it less then i would with something a little more DD friendly.

Also i guess i should note that with 18's on coilovers and suspension bars and the rear seats removed i didnt mind the stiffer ride quality, the biggest thing was that it was smooth and tight rather. I appreciate the input guys.

How comparable is the cayman to the nsx? Always liked both. Although its weird i can't get the nsx out of my head, the more i look the more i want more then anything. Just trying to get a good idea of other options i have before pulling the trigger lol.

Can't say as I don't own an NSX but looking to buy. They are both very balanced cars (mid-engine, power-to-weight, weight distribution, etc). I'd argue that the Cayman will have more creature-comforts simply because it's newer and should have more oomph. I wouldn't say the Cayman isn't beautiful but I think the NSX has a timeless design. The one thing that kind of surprised me about the Cayman is the real world gas mileage I'm getting (29+ mpg, 50 mi/day commute). I think the biggest thing you can do is to test drive both. 97+ NSX v. Cayman R or even an 09+ Cayman S.

I went through this debate a little over a year ago. The new C7 was getting a strong consideration. Even rented 1 for the weekend to test drive. Damn it was a good car. Absolutely ticked all the boxes except that it was not rare nor was it my first love...an NSX. I don't think you could go wrong with this car. You mentioned Z06 but based on price I assume you mean previous version?

The Cayman I always appreciated and can't stand people who were 911 snobs. I still think the Cayman is the best P car, especially now with the latest offerings. But this doesn't give you open top enjoyment. Since you have a daily and a project car seems like you need to get a convertible or targa.

The 370z is a fun car. Driven a few of them. Bad blind spots unless you put the top down and if I recall the trunk was big enough for a weekend trip.

Good luck in your search.

I went through this debate a little over a year ago. The new C7 was getting a strong consideration. Even rented 1 for the weekend to test drive. Damn it was a good car. Absolutely ticked all the boxes except that it was not rare nor was it my first love...an NSX. I don't think you could go wrong with this car. You mentioned Z06 but based on price I assume you mean previous version?

The Cayman I always appreciated and can't stand people who were 911 snobs. I still think the Cayman is the best P car, especially now with the latest offerings. But this doesn't give you open top enjoyment. Since you have a daily and a project car seems like you need to get a convertible or targa.

The 370z is a fun car. Driven a few of them. Bad blind spots unless you put the top down and if I recall the trunk was big enough for a weekend trip.

Good luck in your search.

Yeah the nsx was always a dream / unobtainable car in my mind for along time. Fast forward to the present and i realized i could afford one quite comfortably. So hence the hunt. I think i'll have to test drive a couple cars first but i have a feeling the nsx is what i am looking for. Want a little less 'tech' and more of a pure drive. What are some key aspects of the car that you love? and what are some that you dont like?

Also the wrap looks great, looks like imola orange almost. And the 280z have always been one of my favorite cars i see you also own one of those.

Yeah the nsx was always a dream / unobtainable car in my mind for along time. Fast forward to the present and i realized i could afford one quite comfortably. So hence the hunt. I think i'll have to test drive a couple cars first but i have a feeling the nsx is what i am looking for. Want a little less 'tech' and more of a pure drive. What are some key aspects of the car that you love? and what are some that you dont like?

Also the wrap looks great, looks like imola orange almost. And the 280z have always been one of my favorite cars i see you also own one of those.

Yea the wrap was a great way to protect the original paint and change it up looks wise. Yes always loved the early Z cars and wanted something fun and cheaper to zip around in, as I was starting to put way more miles than planned on the NSX because it was so good to drive.

When I did finally decided to pick the NSX over all the other cars, I basically had the same boxes you mentioned..."I was looking at the 97-01 models for the 3.2L, variable p/s, pop-up headlights, and the targa. the weight/rigidity don't outweigh the pros for me. "

I would say after a little over a year of ownership the pros for me are:
1. Childhood dream car
2. Rare/big time attention grabber
3. Timeless looks
4. Comfortable on long road trips with plenty of legitimate trunk storage (golf bags no problem)
5. Analog direct driving feel, watch the regular car guy's review, hilarious
6. High rev reliable engine right behind your head
7. Hands down the best drivers cockpit, ergonomics and visiblity, the only thing better is a motorcycle (oh and steering wheel telescopes and tilts!)
8. TCS can be turned on/off with push of a button (the track guys probably enjoy that option)
9. I fit comfortable at 6'1" and 220 lbs.
10. Everything just works as designed. I swear I have more issues with any of my other vehicles
11. NSX community is amazing, knowledgeable and some of the best people I have ever met
12. Going up in value, so its nice to know that if you do sell you won't take a depreciation hit.
13. One of my favorite shifting manuals, never missed a gear, while I have on other cars...like my Z.

Cons
1. If your a stereo guy, the OEM one is inadequate and costly to upgrade. Double din, new dash, nav pod, new wiring, amps, speakers, etc. Personally I am ok with the quality and left it stock.
2. Certain Oem parts are no longer made and a few items are pricy like the targa seal, but for the most part the community has worked out good solutions or aftermarket vendors have stepped up. For example took me a year long search to find an OEM trunk mat to complete my full OEM car. So you if want something you have to have cash on hand and spring fast if rare parts come up for sale.
3. NA engine is a blast, but as many people mentioned the car really deserved an extra 100 Hp to push it into the next level. A turbo or SC setup will fix that. So factor in that extra $10k+. I am planning to do a SC at some point in future, but I am letting myself and driving skill grow into it.
4. The big Acura airbag steering wheel is comically bad looking but screw it I like the charm along with the oem tape deck
5. You start to sweat bullets sometimes in traffic knowing that you have an aluminum car and if someone runs a red light or is looking at their phone your car will most likely be a write off. But hey buy back the salvage and you have a badass track platform
6. You get very anal retentive about what shops and mechanics work on your car. I really don't mind on my other cars. I just go to the dealers.
7. Depending if you have knee or back problems this car and any sports car will give you issues. But this is lower than a vette. Its deceiving in that it clears speed bumps and can handle most driveways, but the seat rails and seats are very low in car so its down there. Otherwise this is a big positive.

Well that's all I can think off right now. Depending on where you are there should be some guys willing to give take you for a spin.

I typically go through new cars every few years. While I have thought about selling my NSX, everytime I get close, I back out. It truly is an amazing machine and no other car in the price point gives you what it does: exclusivity, reliability, and performance. The targa experience is also very important to me so that makes it even more special. The only gripe I have is the lack of torque/power, even with a CTSC. I recently test drove a turbo NSX and completely fell in love. CTSC is fun, but a turbo NSX is a whole different experience. Check out my review of the NSX of your interested: https://autosist.com/the-nsx-a-timeless-machine/

Good luck!

I you buy a nsx try very hard to buy one bone stock with all parts still on the car. Then upgrade it so you have all the Oem parts. You'll want them later on. As for modifying the nsx, I put a ctsc on and would never take it off. I love it.
Turbo nsxs are indeed awesome but for me personally, they require too much fiddling unless you live close to science of speed or lovefab. Even my ctsc had a few little tweaks needed. Keep in mind, parts are rediculously expensive for the car so shop wisely.

I'm curious if you know the power numbers of that car and yours.

I'm at 353 rwhp with around 250 pounds of torque. The turbo was 400 rwhp and not sure torque numbers. It was not worlds faster, but definitely noticeable and a lot more fun to drive IMO.

I'm at 353 rwhp with around 250 pounds of torque. The turbo was 400 rwhp and not sure torque numbers. It was not worlds faster, but definitely noticeable and a lot more fun to drive IMO.

Not trying to discount your experience at all but its important to qualify the differences imho. I have driven few turbo cars at the track. As a novice driver I think a powerful NA, Positive Displacement Supercharger, Turbo in that order is most fun. On the street or basically Stop/Go straight driving a turbo would be more fun. The throttle control just isn't there when feathering the gas pedal in a turbo. I'm not that good as Billy Johnson so managing the peaky nature of turbo boost is not fun. Though it might be for some people.

BTW... I'm on a "low boost" on a stock NA1 motor and I'm getting your numbers. Actually with better gas (I.e. meth) and additional timing we can get nearly 380wHP. This is only possible with a standalone of somekind. The parts are there... Just needs to be better tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

My current "safe" tune has my car running 350wHP/250ft-lb all day long getting beat on at the track or street in any condition whether it's raining outside or 110° at nsxpo.

You should be getting better numbers than that I reckon.

Last edited:
Not trying to discount your experience at all but its important to qualify the differences imho. I have driven few turbo cars at the track. As a novice driver I think a powerful NA, Positive Displacement Supercharger, Turbo in that order is most fun. On the street or basically Stop/Go straight driving a turbo would be more fun. The throttle control just isn't there when feathering the gas pedal in a turbo. I'm not that good as Billy Johnson so managing the peaky nature of turbo boost is not fun. Though it might be for some people.

BTW... I'm on a "low boost" on a stock NA1 motor and I'm getting your numbers. Actually with better gas (I.e. meth) and additional timing we can get nearly 380wHP. This is only possible with a standalone of somekind. The parts are there... Just needs to be better tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

My current "safe" tune has my car running 350wHP/250ft-lb all day long getting beat on at the track or street in any condition whether it's raining outside or 110° at nsxpo.

You should be getting better numbers than that I reckon.

I'm not a track rate, so your experience is likely dead on. I have heard many say the same. I am strictly talking about "street" fun which you agree, turbo is more fun. I definitely also don't want to discount the CTSC - it still puts a smile on my face, especially in the canyons. I personally just love the way turbo cars sound and the difference in torque just makes it a better driving experience for me.

I think I should be getting better numbers as well. I haven't really tinkered with it since I have driven other CTSC's with 10-20 more HP and really didn't feel a different around the street.

Back