• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clunk clunk noise coming from rear at low speed

I'm am hearing a faint clunk clunk clunk noise from the rear of the car at low speed in parking lots or around town when first starting out. Any input would be appreciated, I'm guessing one of the axles???

Paul Hamer
Blair, NE

Not based on NSX experience, but on other car experiences, and in the hope that others will provide more information to confirm or deny, I am thinking that you should lift the weight of the rear off the tires. Once the weight is off the tires, check to see if you can duplicate the noise with a slow rotation of the wheels by hand. I am thinking the one of the flexible joints at the ends of the driveshafts is worn. I think that ACURA calls them joint spiders.
Good luck.

Last edited:
yup, I'm with MPKR91

this is exactly the noise I got for a while... its a faint... clunk, clunk, clunk.. and then as you press the accelerator, the clunking finally fades away and disappears... Its exactly like how MPKR91 described it, definitely the in bound CV boot is torn/has leaked fluid and the "cushioning" is gone... replace soon!

Actually turned out the left rear tires was loose, noise went away when tight. It did get us looking at the CV boots though the the right side was starting to sling grease, so we replaced both on that side.

Back