• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Job

My clutch engagement point is getting pretty high. I have a 92 with 61K on it. Does anybody have an idea as to how much it might cost me to get replaced? Shoiuld I take this opportunity to upgrade to some sort of aftermarket clutch? I don't plan to seriously race the car.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Gavin

I just had my done at my local dealer in New York. The parts totalled $1556.10 and the labor was 12 hours for a cost of $960. I stayed with the factory clutch after getting 51,500 miles on the original with 10 track events included and being happy with that combination.

Bob

Originally posted by gavin:
My clutch engagement point is getting pretty high.

The engagement point of the NSX clutch is high.
If you still have 'some' free play, then you don't need a new clutch.

Mich

My clutch engagement is very low.

It starts to engage about 1/4 of the way out.

You might want to look into putting a 00-01 clutch in your car.

This is by far the best clutch feel I have had in any of my past NSX's.

------------------
James
2000 Red/Tan
South Florida http://members.aol.com/flnsx

[This message has been edited by nsxrock (edited 18 August 2002).]

how can you tell if your clutch is slipping?
when i first bought my car, the engagement point is about 1/2 way. Now i gota release it 2/3rd before it engage.
Does that mean the clutch is slipping?

A clutch that is slipping badly will smell really terrible too.

When a clutch slips it feels as if your motor is ready to rock and roll but your car never quite gets fully into gear. Like stated before... doesnt feel like its getting into gear but your RPM's still climb.

I have an ACT performance clutch that is everything -clutch disc, performace plate, and lightwieght flywheel. It is the best clutch I have owned (been through 3) and it costs around $1,400.00

Shop around on labor too.

Originally posted by TheSwishh:
When a clutch slips it feels as if your motor is ready to rock and roll but your car never quite gets fully into gear. Like stated before... doesnt feel like its getting into gear but your RPM's still climb.

In normal driving, when you're not changing gears, the engine revs are matched perfectly with the road speed. When it's slipping, you can feel the difference between the engine revs and the road speed. There is no longer a direct correlation between the two - as Swish says, it feels kind of like it's in neutral, the way you can blip the throttle and the engine revs climb but it's not directly connected to your road speed.

IOW - it's acting like you've got the clutch pedal pressed in, when you've already let it out.

So is there a way to adjust the clutch then so the engagement point is a little lower. It is so sever that if you just barely push in the clutch, it starts slipping. It has slipped while in gear with my foot off of the clutch, but this situation kinda freaks me out. I'd rather get it replaced before it totally goes to shit and strands me somewhere.

PS Thanks for all the feedback.
Gavin

gavin wrote:
>>It has slipped while in gear with my foot off of the clutch
>>I'd rather get it replaced before it totally goes to shit

If it's slipping with your foot off the pedal it has already gone to shit. Time to replace.

Wait a second, if your tach jumps a bit under quick shifting (quickly releasing hte accelerator and then jamming the clutch) but not when you release the accelor ped. and wait for a second then jam in the clutch is it slipping?

Back