• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Noise Fixed

This past summer, after a few hours of highway driving then going through local small town traffic, I would get a squealing noise at the point of clutch engagement. No noise with the pedal fully up or fully down.

Also, in past winters, when I first started out of my driveway (a sharp left turn), I would get a brief squeal that I thought was the differential "posi-traction" not warmed up.

The clutch was replaced 50 kmi /14 yr ago, by a local dealer, all Acura OEM parts. Despite having no clutch slip but facing a long drive to NSXPO in the Fall, I decided to pull the transaxle and examine the clutch. The discs were less than half worn, and the pressure plates were better than new spec for warp with no measurable wear. The release bearing was very smooth and so I thought it was OK. In all my previous experiences (non-Honda) failed release bearings would be noisy and felt like there was gravel inside when spinning them. With all the work getting to it, I ordered a new release bearing and, at the advice of Larry B, new discs.

The new release bearing was much easier to spin than the old one. Without any attempt at measurement, at least 4 times easier. So apparently, the squeal was the bearing slipping against the pressure plate fingers at the moment of release.

Net result: Both the hot weather and cold weather squeals are completely gone. But that was a lot of work to replace one bearing! :eek:

Perhaps this will help someone else who might encounter the same mysterious squeals.

Frank,
This is good info for the group. Things at the middle of the engine / transmission are ALWAYS very labor intensive, sometimes realitively inexpensive for the parts.
Brad

I may have that same squeal. Happens only under hard acceleration out of the hole. Never makes a noise otherwise.

sounds a bit like a squealing tire, and only from a compete stop in 1 gear under torque.

Original clutch 48k miles.

Last edited:
So the dealer was too cheap to replace the TOB? I guess that mine was also 13 years ago when he only replaced the discs as he was too cheap to the WP too.

I actually have a gearbox apart with a common ISB bearing problem growing (not NSX but Honda ZE1). They all fail after 100k miles. When you spin it hand it feels good but if you press on the bearing you can fell the roughness in it while spinning. And sometimes you can only detect parts by having a new one as a benchmark.

Happy wrenching!

The clutch in my S2000 started to make a similar sound after I was being an asshole doing a few donuts in a parking lot before switching out the worn out rear tires. I think I must have been feathering the clutch too much and caused the clutch surface to glaze slightly. At least that is what I was told was the problem. The noise went away after awhile, by driving the car normally and changing the revs and speed of engagement of the clutch. Lesson learned, leave the drifting to the pros!

Back