• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Slave cylinder/master cylinder rebuild kits?

Hi guys, The slave cylinder went on my car Tuesday while driving home from picking up a replacement windshield molding strip from Acura. My heart sank as the clutch pedal sank to the floor and stayed there. My son came and rescued me with his trailer and we got it back to his shop. At first we thought a separated line but after seeing all the fluid around the tranny pan he figured the slave cylinder. When he disassembled it the only failure was the rubber around the middle of the piston/spring assembly was disintegrating. Come to find that there's no rebuild kit offered by Acura. We were wondering if any of you know if there is a rebuild kit for this or the master cylinder out there aftermarket. To get back on the road I'm buying a new slave cylinder from Acura for $170. but it seems silly that this can't be rebuilt by the owner. Its a simple rebuild.
I've got 1950 Plymouths that have rebuild kits available for all the wheel cylinders and the master cylinder and this is a 65 year old car. How many of these are left out there?

AFAIK there are no rebuild kits, but rockauto is definitely a cheaper option. I got my clutch master/slave from rockauto when I replaced mine last October. No problems with them so far, after about 2000 miles.

slave:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1370696&parttype=2044
master:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1370696&parttype=1996

The centric slave was identical to the OEM one, and had the OEM part number on the bag:
IMG_20141022_191700.jpg
IMG_20141022_191715.jpg

The centric master from rockauto is also almost identical to OEM, just the color of the left bit changed. Old OEM on top, Centric from RockAuto below. Both made by NISSIN. Came adjusted exactly correctly as well.
IMG_20141019_133257.jpg

Last edited:
Are those reman'd? Both are nissin products. If that is "new", then just wow. I don't consider that aftermarket. I realize Honda doesn't actually make a some of products on their cars as many are from various manufacturers like any other auto maker but that's a big price difference.

Are those reman'd? Both are nissin products. If that is "new", then just wow. I don't consider that aftermarket. I realize Honda doesn't actually make a some of products on their cars as many are from various manufacturers like any other auto maker but that's a big price difference.

no, both master and slave are new parts from rockauto. indeed, a big price difference. I actually weighed the old/new parts and they were the same weight as well.

Last edited:
Yet another NSX owner here who purchased clutch master & slave (as well as brake master) from Rock Auto. Its the OEM part! Every lump and bump on the castings match - only date stamps differ. On many of the NSX parts, the production volume is so low, it doesn't pay anyone else to build them.

As another example, look at oxygen sensors. You can buy them from Acura for $300 of buy them under the OEM's name for roughly $75 and avoid the expense of Acura stocking and distributing the same part. (In the same manner I bought a Bosch O2 sensor for our MB SLK320 from Rock Auto vs Mercedes with similar price savings).

Damn, I just wrote a lengthy multi-response and then lost the page.

Adnan might have a solution for you @32york.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/188686-Clutch-slave-cylinder-refurbished

@vivanshah
That RockAuto slave cylinder looks just like an OEM part.
The master cylinder looks different, but the fact that it is made by Nisin also, bodes well for it being a great part and probably just like the OEM part.

Plus those prices at RockAuto are amazing.
I just bought a new OEM slave cylinder a few months ago for when my slave cylinder was finally on its last legs (it had been leaking slightly for quite some time).
Got the OEM slave cylinder for ~$100. A new OEM master cylinder would've been about ~$130.
Look into Tim Poliniak at OEM Acura Parts if you want OEM (he does a nice discount and free shipping for NSX Prime members).
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...ngine/chassis-cat/clutch-master-cylinder-scat

I agree with @ftuhy about the O2 sensors. That's one thing I did not feel like paying OEM prices for, so I went with SOS's NGK NTK Factory Replacement options.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...s/ngk-ntk-factory-replacement-o2-sensors.html
Probably could've got them even cheaper from RockAuto, but I believe I also ordered O2 extension harnesses for my NA2 exhaust manifold install.

This is great info... Just wondering if Centric also sell OEM parts for other makes (Mazda, Nissan, Toyota) as well?

no, both master and slave are new parts from rockauto. indeed, a big price difference. I actually weighed the old/new parts and they were the same weight as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked up Centric and it is founded in Socal since 2000. I think they produce after market parts. I have a feeling that they don't produce parts for Honda. I don't know how they compare to the Honda parts in term of quality since I haven't used them.

BTW: I have seen re-manufactured parts with the Nissin casing from local auto part stores.

This is great info... Just wondering if Centric also sell OEM parts for other makes (Mazda, Nissan, Toyota) as well?

- - - Updated - - -

I looked up Centric and it is founded in Socal since 2000. I think they produce after market parts. I have a feeling that they don't produce parts for Honda. I don't know how they compare to the Honda parts in term of quality since I haven't used them.

BTW: I have seen re-manufactured parts with the Nissin casing from local auto part stores.

It's pretty clear that centric is reselling the adler slave in this case, and that leads me to believe they're reselling the nissin master as well. All I know is they look, feel, fit, and weigh exactly the same, and the slave had the OEM part number on it. That's good enough for me and worth a 50% price cut.

Centric definitely sources & resells parts for other makes as well. They're all over rockauto.

Last edited:
Anyone else using the Centric master and slave cylinders please? I need to buy a new master as my 14YO OEM just started leaking and figured why not save $90?

Thanks.

Thanks. I ordered the Centric master from Rock Auto and will give it a try. I replaced my slave a few years ago with a transmission rebuild and I'm surprised that I didn't change the master at the same time.... Oh well.

+1 on the Centric, which I bought from Rock Auto about 18 months and nearly 10k miles ago. No issues here.

Thanks for the info.

so Centric get the parts from another manufacture and put their brand name on it?

where are these Centric parts made? Are most of the Honda parts made in Japan?

I ordered Centric clutch master and slave cylinders about a year ago. They are identical to OEM down to the manufacturer stampings, as far as I can tell they get the parts from the same factory that Honda does. I have a side by side comparison photo in my build thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Thread/page2?p=1955444&viewfull=1#post1955444 (scroll down a bit)

I installed a Rock Auto Centric (CE 136 40006 $55.79) in early February and 7000 miles ago. I also changed the Slave at the same time (Beck/Arnley 0729097 $31.34).

I have had flawless performance since that time.

Several years on the Rock Auto Master/Slave here with no issues.

I did keep my old parts in case of future rebuild options.

update... is it any good?

I just need to bleed the system and then I'll report back. Maybe I can find time to sneak in the garage tomorrow.

Some of the stampings were different compared to what I removed, but it looked very close. The length was correct out of the box.

I broke my made-in-USA Craftsman flare wrench trying to remove the flare nut from the distribution block going to the rear of the car. Sprayed some PB Blaster on the fittings overnight and then they let loose. Hope it reseals OK after it's bled and I apply pressure to it.... It shouldn't have been that tight!

I think I am going to have to do this job (master, not slave). I am pretty handy with wrenching but am not excited about laying on the floorboard and trying to reach my arms up into the small space. Maybe I pay someone else for this job. :)

Back