• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch slipping?

When I bought my NSX, the dealer that did the pre-purchase inspection thought that that clutch would need to be replaced within 3K miles. I've put 1K miles on it and I think my clutch is "slipping".

Every once in awhile, when I would change gears, the engine would rev for no appearant reason when I would smoothly accelerate. It would also occasionally happen when I slowed down in a gear and then accelerated again.

It's now happening on a regular basis. I'm going to take the car in, but was curious...is this a typical sympton of a clutch going out? Should I not drive the car at all until I take it to have it looked at?

Thanks for any feedback!

Mike

Yes, Those are the symptoms of a slipping clutch. You can still drive the car. Take it it Greenlight Honda in Kearny Mesa and have Jerry do the clutch. He is the local NSX guru.

BTW - If you plan on reusing the pressure plate, don't drive the car too long. As the disk wears down, the fasteners become exposed and they can score the pressure plate.

Last edited:
Your welcome. Tell him Dennis with the Black 91 sent ya. I just had my 60K service done there yesterday.

BTW Some local SD folks are meeting at the Starbucks in Scripps Ranch. See the SW forum for details. Not sure if Im going yet.

I have a slight tangent...mine "slips" only during 1st gear, during initial engage, where between 1-2K RPM, the car seems to shake and struggles to engage. Is this also a problem of slipping clutch, or could it be something else?

SDmike said:
When I bought my NSX, the dealer that did the pre-purchase inspection thought that that clutch would need to be replaced within 3K miles. I've put 1K miles on it and I think my clutch is "slipping".

Every once in awhile, when I would change gears, the engine would rev for no appearant reason when I would smoothly accelerate. It would also occasionally happen when I slowed down in a gear and then accelerated again.

It's now happening on a regular basis. I'm going to take the car in, but was curious...is this a typical sympton of a clutch going out? Should I not drive the car at all until I take it to have it looked at?

Thanks for any feedback!

Mike

If your dealer knew it needed one then, I hope he discounted the clutch costs into the price of your car, because a clutch that would last 3000 miles could have been replaced then.

Back