• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

[1st Gen] Coil over advice needed

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 91 NSX and am interested in purchasing coilovers for the car. This car will not be tracked at all. I know there are other forums in regards to coilovers, but many of those include people who track there car. I am just wondering what coilovers you would recommend. I have looked at KW version 3, Tein, D2 racing, Megan, and BC. I know they vary vastly in price point, but I am mainly interested in lowering the car and decent ride quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

I recommend Fortune Auto. Their parts are probably made in China (most are nowadays), but they are assembled in the U.S. and serviceable in the U.S. I just installed a set a few months ago and love them. I've only put a couple of hundred miles on them and considering selling them if you're interested. I might go back to stock so I can sell my NSX.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Haven’t heard too much about fortune auto. I’ll have to do some research on it.

What is the recommended setup for BC? Is the ride quality harsh on street roads?

See my thread here for all you need to know about BC. For your needs they are perfect. I tracked my first NSX, so i went with a 10kg/8kg setup. For your needs, I would go with the Type-S spec: 8kg/6kg. Definitely do the Swift springs. The linearity of those springs definitely improves the ride quality.

...I am mainly interested in lowering the car and decent ride quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

What others have mentioned here are good recommendations.

Just keep in mind that if you're going for a slammed look then ride quality will be terrible unless the roads in your area are like glass.

You should have decent ride quality with the spring rates Honcho mentioned.

Go with BC coilovers and go with the 8kg front/6kg rear setup suggested by Honcho so it is not harsh on the street. Definitely get the upgraded swift springs.

Thank you all for your feedback! It seems like BC coilovers with swift springs is the answer. I’m guessing KW version 3 are more for track?

What's the price of a set of BC coilovers nowadays?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

For new, they are about $1000 or $1300 with swift springs. New KWV3 can be had for $23-2400.

I was facing the same situation. Wanted to get lower but not planning to track the car. Went with the BC racing coilovers used, with the swift springs included. Saved a few bucks by finding used parts.

Really considered the KW 3 coilovers but ultimately decided it was overkill for my usage.

I was facing the same situation. Wanted to get lower but not planning to track the car. Went with the BC racing coilovers used, with the swift springs included. Saved a few bucks by finding used parts.

Really considered the KW 3 coilovers but ultimately decided it was overkill for my usage.

Why did you considered KW3 after installing the BC?
Did the BC not meet your needs? If not, please share as to why. Thanks.

Why did you considered KW3 after installing the BC?
Did the BC not meet your needs? If not, please share as to why. Thanks.

I did not have the BC Racing Coilovers first. Prior to purchasing the BC Coilovers, I was contemplating which set to purchase. If money were not a consideration, I would have just gone with the KW 3 as I believe they are the higher quality option.

Ultimately I chose the BC Racing Coilovers because I determined they were good enough for the type and amount of driving I was anticipating. The set I picked up also came with the Stance AirCup system which I need for getting around town and navigating Seattles steep driveways and hills. So for me practicality won out in the end and my wallet is not as light as a result

For the Seattle roads, without the stance aircup system, how was your ride quality with the BC coilovers and upgraded springs? Also where did you purchase your set from? Car will be in Redmond so that is why I am wondering specifically.

I did not have the BC Racing Coilovers first.....

Thanks for sharing. What did you have prior to the BC setup? Was it the stock suspension? I understand that ride quality can be subjective, but I am curious about the results. Would you say the BC setup is worst, better, or the same in terms of ride smoothness when compared to stock (or whatever you had prior)?

Thanks again :)

Having had the Teins on my last car, ride quality sucked. It wasn't worth saving $1000 to get an inferior product on a car of this nature. This time around I went with the KWV3s and I have ZERO regrets. Ride quality is amazing for a coilover. Johnny Chen usually has them for $2200, if you're a member on the NSX Owners group on FB you can message him. And I would pose this question out on the NSX Owners FB page and I'm guessing that you'll get an overwhelming support for the KWs. Good luck either way!

MT9A1829.jpgMT9A1849.jpg

Back