• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cold start screaching noise

My nsx has been making a loud screaching noise when I first start it. It has to be a belt cause it only happens when the engine is cold or just started but I can't seem to find what belt it would be and I hope its not a loose roller. I'm hoping someone's ran into this problem and could share from their expierience?

Spray some WD40 on the belts one by one when it is happening and see when it goes away. That would be your belt.

What makes you think it's a water pump? My car has 4k miles on a full rebuild(running FI) and I had new coolant pumps installed

- - - Updated - - -

My car has had a hard time starting lately but I just thought it was due to my fuel system on cold starts

- - - Updated - - -

Spray some WD40 on the belts one by one when it is happening and see when it goes away. That would be your belt.

Last edited:
My best guess your tensioner, was told once to never spary WD40 on belts since it will make it slip, anyone know if this is true?

Yes it did. About 4/5 minutes. I loosened the belt tensioner and let the belt hang the next morn at cold start. That's when I knew.
Did the noise go away after a minute or two of warming up

- - - Updated - - -

My best guess your tensioner, was told once to never spary WD40 on belts since it will make it slip, anyone know if this is true?

It won't hurt to put a little WD on the belt/belts. It doesn't last very long.

With my cars it has always been the alternator belt. Just tighten it up a little, or remove it and try a cold start to see if it goes away.

Now the noise has gotten consistent....it doesn't happen when I'm accelerating but does ALAWAYS happen when you rev the car at all (again when clutch is depressed or when not in gear)

Have you removed the belt and started it. If not, this is your next move. It takes 10 minutes tops.
Now the noise has gotten consistent....it doesn't happen when I'm accelerating but does ALAWAYS happen when you rev the car at all (again when clutch is depressed or when not in gear)

Hey Ken.........my MDX just did the same thing and it was replaced under warranty........glad you are able to drive your cars, its still winter here :<

Back