• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Combo 17/18 combo - best tires size, please

Nice day here, beleive even better there!

I decided to buy Rays Volk TE37 17/18'' well, 18/19'' is too dangerous for Russia.
Now looking to fix the tires. I'm planning to buy Toyo Proxes R888, but in which size?
My vendor recommend following:

I think right tyre size to 17/18 combo is
215/45-17
265 or 275/35-18
unquote

what do you think, respected NSX owners?

...I'm planning to buy Toyo Proxes R888, but in which size?

Why are you buying R888s.. They are Competition DOT Approved tires? If this is a road wheel/tire combo, find another tire and the tire sizes most recommended are fine. Also what size width of the wheels?

If this is a track wheel/tire combo, then I'd do the 235/40/17 setup.

My choice for 3 season tires would be Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3... They are available in the 215/40/17, 265/35/18 setup.

Why are you buying R888s.. They are Competition DOT Approved tires? If this is a road wheel/tire combo, find another tire and the tire sizes most recommended are fine. Also what size width of the wheels?

If this is a track wheel/tire combo, then I'd do the 235/40/17 setup.

My choice for 3 season tires would be Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3... They are available in the 215/40/17, 265/35/18 setup.

Thanks, width of the wheels are:
17x8
18x9.5

Actually right now I'm in doubt wheter R1/T or R888, I'd never driven Toyo -but heard they are pretty fine and soft enough. why R888 - due to I'm driving this car not everyday, going with it to the race days and drag competitions. Only in summer time. Neither driving on wet road, nor under the rain. Hence thinking the performance will be better. IMHO, but pleased to hear opinions. I do not have turbocharger, but playing yet with intake/ECU/manifold/exhaust, beleive will have ca. +50hp, i.e. ca 320hp or so...

Actually right now I'm in doubt wheter R1/T or R888, I'd never driven Toyo -but heard they are pretty fine and soft enough. why R888 - due to I'm driving this car not everyday, going with it to the race days and drag competitions. Only in summer time. Neither driving on wet road, nor under the rain. Hence thinking the performance will be better. IMHO, but pleased to hear opinions.
The R-888 is a very good R compound track tire. The disadvantages of using track tires on the street are that they wear quickly, so you are paying a lot of money for tires for the street miles; they don't provide a lot of warning before breaking loose (although you probably aren't driving crazy enough on the street to break them loose); they need to get warmed up to be fully effective (although again, you probably aren't driving crazy enough on the street to use their full effectiveness). If you're not driving a lot of street miles on them, except for driving to and from the track, then those disadvantages may not be important to you, and using R compound track tires may be a good choice for your needs.

FWIW, I have two sets of wheels, and I put my R compound track tires inside the NSX and drive to the track on my street tires.

The R-888 is a very good R compound track tire. The disadvantages of using track tires on the street are that they wear quickly, so you are paying a lot of money for tires for the street miles; they don't provide a lot of warning before breaking loose (although you probably aren't driving crazy enough on the street to break them loose); they need to get warmed up to be fully effective (although again, you probably aren't driving crazy enough on the street to use their full effectiveness). If you're not driving a lot of street miles on them, except for driving to and from the track, then those disadvantages may not be important to you, and using R compound track tires may be a good choice for your needs.

FWIW, I have two sets of wheels, and I put my R compound track tires inside the NSX and drive to the track on my street tires.

Thanks I think it's a good way - right now I wonder if I buy Rays Volk TE37 17/18' in gold colour for agressive style and maybe to order Rays Volk SF Challenge 18/19' in what colour? For show stopping on da street. Have you ever seen Red/black NSX on black wheels? Do you think it will be lookin' cool?

Any photos?

I'm driving this car not everyday, going with it to the race days and drag competitions. Only in summer time. Neither driving on wet road, nor under the rain. Hence thinking the performance will be better.
It will be better and generate more grip. If it's 60*F out or warmer, the R-comps don't need to be 'warmed up' to generate grip. Once they're warm they will generate a lot of grip but even when cold they are comparable to a cold street tire.

-500whp turbo nsx driving on the streets has no issues with R888s even when 'cold' (They are much better than any street tire option out there IMO) for the conditions you will be driving the car in.

Track use:

17x8" front wheel:

235/40-17

Rear

275-35-18

Why R888s? are you going to track your car, do you have a turbo or supercharger?

I have a question for the wheel/tire experts. Wouldn't running 235/40-17 or even 225/40-17 run the risk of rubbing on a lowered NSX? All threads I have come across point to definite or likely rubbing running those sizes on the front.

I am currently deciding upon buying a new/used track set-up (17/17 or 17/18 options) and do not want any rubbing issues. So, I pretty much decided upon nothing larger than a 215 size tire for the fronts. Am I wrong?

PS. Thanks, Billy, for already providing me with your opinion from an earlier email exchange.

I did not think the 888's were available in 215/40/17

Rich

I have 215/40/17 and 255/35/18 's on my car.

Here's what you want taking into account your wheel sizes. (17x8 and 18x9.5)

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

215/40-17 Front
275/35-18 Rear

Don't bother listening to anyone else. I've driven my current NSX close to 200,000 miles and I've been through so many sets of tires that I've forgotten more about tires than most people will ever know. Let's not forget that I'm always right. Just ask anyone here. :)

Hi Folks,

thanks all. It's a thread year ago. After your advices and some research I did, I have 2 sets:

- 18/19'' HRE 841R Black Polished + Red (Honda OEM coulor) lip
225/35/18 | 285/30/19 toyo T1R

- 17/18'' Rays TE37 Black
225/40/17 | 265/35/18 YOKOHAMA A048

IMO Toyo is the bet tires I drowe. Soft, smooth, good grip. At least for everyday use.

All the Best

The R888 is not available in 215/40/17 but I have run the 205/40/17 , in this sixer it actually measures just as wide or wider than other 215's , in case you were wondering , the R888 is great in the wet too.

Here's what you want taking into account your wheel sizes. (17x8 and 18x9.5)

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

215/40-17 Front
275/35-18 Rear

Don't bother listening to anyone else. I've driven my current NSX close to 200,000 miles and I've been through so many sets of tires that I've forgotten more about tires than most people will ever know. Let's not forget that I'm always right. Just ask anyone here. :)

+1 on this. I am currently running this setup and it was day and night compares to the stock wheels with Michilen PS (The stock setup was great and fun to drive already:biggrin:). I did a few right angle turns on uphill then downhill corner and the tires grip so well that it feels just like a roller coaster running on the rails. With the same corner and the stock setting, the car still nibble through the corner. However, I can hear the tire squeal and feel the car is about to slide.

Anyway, Listen to Hugh. Can't you see that honest face of his on his avatar? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (j/k Hugh)

Last edited:
I think black wheels look like crap, like someone put the spare tire on all four wheels. But you need to get whatever you like.

This one looks pretty good with black wheels with red lip:

3374288520_a2241d3a28.jpg

3373473117_0578b499f0.jpg

Back