• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comic Book Collecting

Hey, Primers - Any comic book collectors on here? I geeked out and went to a comic book convention (wizard world) here in Dallas (Arlington) this last weekend. Picked up Hulk #181 in Very Fine condition. Lovin' it! I used to collect back in the day, and only occassionally do these days. I generally just look for higher quality keys (X-Men #1, etc.) nowadays and like the investment angle.

If you're still an avid collector - or the occassional investor/enthusiast like me- chime in. Would love to know about some of your favorites in your collection. Pics of your collection would be awesome, too.

While certainly I can't hold a candle to hardcore collectors, I guess I've got a decent base. Probably about 10,000 so far with a grip of keys. My favorites in the collection being Avengers #1, FF#1, Daredevil #1, Strange Tales #110 (1st Dr. Strange), Tales to Astonish #39 (1st Ant Man), X-Men #94, and alot of other keys. Would like to eventually get around to Tales of Suspense #39 (1st Iron Man) and Journey Into Mystery # 83 (1st Thor) to round out my missing Silver Age keys, but darn-it, life and other responsibilities get in the way. LOL.

Thanks,
Eggman
aka recovering geek

Collected about 20 yrs ago, have some that i've been told are valuable. Wanna help me sell them Egg? I'll vig you out on all that sell.

I got the two different covers X-Men #1 done by Jim Lee. Wildcats #1. Maxx #1. Gen 13 #1. Deathblow #1 (carbon cover). Danger Girl #1. Many others just collecting dust. They are all stored in the vacuum plastic cover. I stopped collecting comics nowadays.

TurboLexus said:
Collected about 20 yrs ago, have some that i've been told are valuable. Wanna help me sell them Egg? I'll vig you out on all that sell.

Well, maybe. Sounds like a funny answer, I know. :) Do you have a listing of those you want to sell, along with their grading? A side note on grading, though: be strict and conservative.

Eggman.

Eggman said:
Hey, Primers - Any comic book collectors on here? I geeked out and went to a comic book convention (wizard world) here in Dallas (Arlington) this last weekend. Picked up Hulk #181 in Very Fine condition. Lovin' it! I used to collect back in the day, and only occassionally do these days. I generally just look for higher quality keys (X-Men #1, etc.) nowadays and like the investment angle.

If you're still an avid collector - or the occassional investor/enthusiast like me- chime in. Would love to know about some of your favorites in your collection. Pics of your collection would be awesome, too.

While certainly I can't hold a candle to hardcore collectors, I guess I've got a decent base. Probably about 10,000 so far with a grip of keys. My favorites in the collection being Avengers #1, FF#1, Daredevil #1, Strange Tales #110 (1st Dr. Strange), Tales to Astonish #39 (1st Ant Man), X-Men #94, and alot of other keys. Would like to eventually get around to Tales of Suspense #39 (1st Iron Man) and Journey Into Mystery # 83 (1st Thor) to round out my missing Silver Age keys, but darn-it, life and other responsibilities get in the way. LOL.

Thanks,
Eggman
aka recovering geek

I still collect. Nothing like your collection though and I've been collecting for twenty years. I use to buy them when I was a kid then stopped. Picked up the habit again back in 87 and haven't stopped since. I suggest you pick up "Civil War" it's definitely the most surprising thing to come out of Marvel in a looooong time. Prize of my collection are my Captain Marvels ( Mar-Vell ) I believe I have everything ,but I'm always looking for an special appearences he made during the Silver age.

My brother is a serious collector, and a walking encyclopedia of comic book trivia. He mostly buys Golden Age books, but I don't know any specifics to tell you.

i had about 2-3 box full... a lot of good ones too... but sadly the value of these comics have gone down so much since i used to collect them in elementary/junior high... :frown:

I have around 10 laserprinter paper boxes of comics mostly from the 70's and early 80's, some of which I think could be worth more than bird cage lining. They're all just lying around unused in the basement. Like how I got my NSX from an owner who wasn't driving it enough, I want to sell them into the hands of someone who'd appreciate them but also not give them away; I would like to put some effort into homework and maximize what I could get for them so I can best recycle the proceeds into NSX tires & goods.

I'd really appreciate very much if anyone new or still around from this thread could make any suggestions -- best websites other than Ebay to valuate comics? Best suggestions for selling - stick to local stores (there are a few by me)? Ebay? Local comic conventions? Any good enthusiast sites that are the nsxprime version of comic books?

Thanks, I'd really appreciate any help!!

Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

I'm sure the Marvell movie machine has upped the ante on some original series.

Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

Thanks. Feeling lazy and just wanted to get a kickstart for some prime areas to begin with. Ok not lazy but just not as motivated here as I am for some buying/selling endeavors (NSX....). Haven't looked at those comics for 30 years and know some are worth at least something. This seems like a good starter/how-to guide for dummies too.

http://comicbooks.about.com/

Thanks again for the responses to my question about values. I was hoping to clean house of those 8 boxes of comics that I collected as a kid from 1975-1983. I was almost kind of hoping that I could sell them in bulk to make this easier (which would essentially also be hoping that I didn't have much of value), but a quick scan on Ebay suggests this may be worth taking a little more time than I expected...

I do think that only 5% of them may be worth more than fire starter material; I'd consider any one worth $25 or more to be worth some effort. Most are things like disney, richie rich, etc. kid stuff. But wow, some of these spider-mans and other DC/marvels surprised me as to what very good examples are going for. And I haven't even yet found that box of what I thought was the "good stuff" back in the day and put them aside.

I can tell that accurate grading means a lot. I looked around online tonight and found some grading websites (CGC, etc) that look to cost $35 each minimum. Are there any experienced or still active collectors/experts here who could offer some practical advice on where'd be a good starting point either thru PM or here? What's the state of comic values/trends nowadays? It'd be nice to know if things are in a trough or steady or declining or etc. I'm thinking at the minimum, I'll take 25 of what I think appear to be the most potentially valuable ones to a few local stores and see what kind of feedback I get about condition & value, and use that as an indicator.

Thanks a lot.

pyrytana.jpg

y5yde2et.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk..._nkw=amazing+spiderman+194+black+cat&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk..._nkw=amazing+spider+man+129+punisher&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Funny, that spider man with the first appearance of punisher in it is one of the few comics I still need to get. I have a couple boxes of punisher comics and a punisher themed home theater called The Armory. :)

I don't think a local store is going to give you much for them. You might be better off putting the few with good value up on eBay individually then maybe selling the others in lots to save on shipping hassles.

Thx! No I wasn't suggesting selling to them - was more hoping to get a few opinions on condition etc. Man do I have a lot of comics from when I was young.

Luckily there are lots of spider man w/punishers on ebay. Why not just pick one up there or are you after a certain condition?

I also found some Star Wars comics/books in plastic sleeves. What a time machine tonight was. I feel like I'm 8 again lol.

Last edited:
As a kid I was an active collector about the same time as Yinzer. I've got several yard-high stacks up in the closet back in my old bedroom at my folks house, stuff ranging from Richie Rich to Batman.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll go dig through it, now.

Back