• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparing 360 w/ NSX :)

Eric5273 said:
The person who buys a 360 for 2.5 times that of a NSX is buying it for a different reason than the guy who buys the NSX.

100% agree, and as stated in my original post, there is no comparsion between the NSX vs 360. It's not about what's faster here/there it's about the overall feel and driving a work of art.

These comparos will never make everyone happy.I was laughing when you guys called the ferraris works of art.What is the nsx?-a hand built midengine aluminum masterpiece,constructed as well as a company could build.lol Regardless of its 14 yr old design it is still built to wonderful tolerances and strength.Having the F badge on a car is part of the high price and subsequent stout resale ,as well as thats what the market will bare.The 360(back on target) is desirable and better screwed together than previous models.I do like what Most other manufactures have done to consistently improve the breed,sadley Honda has allowed the nsx to languish,and thus it pays the price in the market place as well as in the hearts and minds of enthusiasts.

Eric5273 said:
over the next year, I expect to only put 3k-4k on the NSX. This would also be reasonble milleage for a Ferrari with only needing a major service once every 4 years.
I don't know if that's true; I suspect not, though. I am not familiar with what's included in the maintenance schedule of the Ferrari at various mileage intervals. However, scheduled maintenance is usually specified for every so many miles or every so many months, whichever comes first. For example, you really don't want to drive around with brake fluid or other fluids that are more than a year or two old.

nsxtasy said:
I don't know if that's true; I suspect not, though. I am not familiar with what's included in the maintenance schedule of the Ferrari at various mileage intervals. However, scheduled maintenance is usually specified for every so many miles or every so many months, whichever comes first. For example, you really don't want to drive around with brake fluid or other fluids that are more than a year or two old.

The 15k service in the Ferrari costs between $3000 and $4500 (depending on whether you use a private mechanic or the dealer) and is needed every 15k or 5 years, whichever comes first. So if you drive 1k miles per year, then you need it in 5 years. If you drive 4k miles per year, then you will need it in about 4 years.

I have always loved and wanted to own a Ferrari.(I like the 355 more than the 360.)
I bought a NSX because I thought it would give me the driving excitement of a Ferrari without the problems.
Cell phones and the addition of more cell towers throughout the countryside puts owning a Ferrari, Lotus or even a Jaguar back in the realm of possibility.

I don't know of any Ferrari owner who owns a 355 or 360 that has had his car in the shop as far as quality problems. The 348, that's another story, they have a bad history, but my understanding is after a certain year the bugs where worked out.

vince

I love this thread but I don't like to lack of insight and as always everyone has an opinion that is usually not backed by fact. I have owned an NSX stock and then modded it to no end including a BBSC that dyno'd at 389hp. I also owned a 99 F355 F1, currently own a 03 M3 SMG and just took delivery of a 04 Stradale so here are my thoughts (opinions)

- F355 build quality vs NSX: The 355 wins by a large margin, I felt it was rock solid. The only reason the dash has an issue with Shrinkage is that it is leather and leather shrinks when it sits in the sun. Can't compare that with too many other cars because very few other makes have a leather dash. FYI, I did not have a single bit of shrinkage nor did I have ANY issues with the center console and the sticky buttons.

- F355 vs NSX in handling: The F355 is far flatter in the turns but very unforgiving. Once you venture to the limit be willing to pay the price. However the rewards outweigh the risk. I believe I was 2-3 seconds a lap quicker at Sebring in the 355.

- F1 tranny vs SMG: Well, the F1 tranny has had many updates since the 355 but I would still take it over the SMG all day long. While quicker it feels very disconnected compaired to the F1, as a footnote I have no idea why you would ever mount the paddles on the wheel (BMW needs to correct this) Who changes gears in the middle of a turn?

- Stradale vs NSX or M3: I don't need to comment do I? The Stradale is simply amazing! The build quality is better than the M3, the interior is unreal, the brakes are unreal, the as far as the handling goes I urge you all to take a ride at speed. This is the first road going car I have ever driven where you can trully feel the downforce generated by the undertray and diffusor. Is it the fastest car on the road? No, but is sure feels that way

Cheers

Greg

Shuey2k said:
- F355 build quality vs NSX: The 355 wins by a large margin, I felt it was rock solid.

And the NSX does not? I am sorry, but there is no way I believe the build quality is better on the 355.

- F355 vs NSX in handling: The F355 is far flatter in the turns but very unforgiving. Once you venture to the limit be willing to pay the price. However the rewards outweigh the risk. I believe I was 2-3 seconds a lap quicker at Sebring in the 355.

Again, maybe you felt more comfortable in your 355, but there are guys on here that keep up with them easily all day long.

- Stradale vs NSX or M3: I don't need to comment do I? The Stradale is simply amazing! The build quality is better than the M3, the interior is unreal, the brakes are unreal, the as far as the handling goes I urge you all to take a ride at speed.

I have taken a ride at speed and I would agree with you there. However, the interior unreal? You are kidding right? There is no carpets, you see the welds all over. It looks cool for a race car, for a street car, not eactly very nice. And also doesn't keep a lot of noise out when driving around town.

All-in-all, There is no question the 360 CS is way beyond the NSX. Congrats on your car. It looks awesome.

NetViper said:
And the NSX does not? I am sorry, but there is no way I believe the build quality is better on the 355.

It is

Again, maybe you felt more comfortable in your 355, but there are guys on here that keep up with them easily all day long.

Think about what you are saying, I am telling you that back to back I am quicker in the 355. I have done at least two dozen track days in the NSX and I was quicker day one in the 355. That is the only fair comparision and truth be told I don't think I was ever comfortable in the 355, it is a 6 figure car was takes any sense of comfort the moment you turn the key.

I have taken a ride at speed and I would agree with you there. However, the interior unreal? You are kidding right? There is no carpets, you see the welds all over. It looks cool for a race car, for a street car, not eactly very nice. And also doesn't keep a lot of noise out when driving around town.

All-in-all, There is no question the 360 CS is way beyond the NSX. Congrats on your car. It looks awesome.

No, I am not kidding. The Carbon work is perfect and all the gauges, switches and the like don't feel cheap and plastic. The dash and seats are spot on. The interior isn't as raw as you might think.

Shuey2k said:
No, I am not kidding. The Carbon work is perfect and all the gauges, switches and the like don't feel cheap and plastic. The dash and seats are spot on. The interior isn't as raw as you might think.

I don't have to think, I was in one a month ago on a track at speed. I loved every minute of it. I only wish I got to drive :(

Shuey2k said:
- F1 tranny vs SMG: Well, the F1 tranny has had many updates since the 355 but I would still take it over the SMG all day long. While quicker it feels very disconnected compaired to the F1, as a footnote I have no idea why you would ever mount the paddles on the wheel (BMW needs to correct this) Who changes gears in the middle of a turn?

OMG, just lost all respect for you over this stupid freaking post. You would take the F1 over SMG? LOL pass me whatever you are smoking. let's get real drive both of these cars before posting. do me a favor get some driving lessons before posting.

- F355 build quality vs NSX: The 355 wins by a large margin, I felt it was rock solid. The only reason the dash has an issue with Shrinkage is that it is leather and leather shrinks when it sits in the sun. Can't compare that with too many other cars because very few other makes have a leather dash. FYI, I did not have a single bit of shrinkage nor did I have ANY issues with the center console and the sticky buttons.

Selecting the right materials for use in some part of a car also contributes to build quality I think.

THonda said:
OMG, just lost all respect for you over this stupid freaking post. You would take the F1 over SMG? LOL pass me whatever you are smoking. let's get real drive both of these cars before posting. do me a favor get some driving lessons before posting.

Please show me the way oh wise one! Yes, I would take the F1 over the SMG and as I stated above I have owned two F1 equiped Fcars as well as the SMG. So, have you also owned all three and if so please shed light on why SMG is soooo much better.

By the way, I would love to have you as a student durning a track day so I could show you the way as I am sure you are still classified as a novice and not allowed to drive without an instructor. Let me know if I can help.

Shuey2k said:
Please show me the way oh wise one! Yes, I would take the F1 over the SMG and as I stated above I have owned two F1 equiped Fcars as well as the SMG. So, have you also owned all three and if so please shed light on why SMG is soooo much better.

By the way, I would love to have you as a student durning a track day so I could show you the way as I am sure you are still classified as a novice and not allowed to drive without an instructor. Let me know if I can help.

LOL, perhapes I read too fast and miss that you owned all these cars. you opinion differs from mine, I nevered owned any ferraris but I still do not believe you need to own one to draw your own conclusions.

You are correct I am a novice and maybe when I am a super race car driver like you I would learn to appreicate the F1 in the 355.

It's all in fun! The main differnce to me comparing the two is the M3 feels very cheap, you pull back on this piece of plastic that you can barely reach and it changes gears. Please don't turn the wheel becuase you will have no idea where upshift is compared to downshift. The F1 is mounted on the steering box and feels very mechinical. As you have said in previous posts it's all about the feel - well the F1 feels much better.

I will have to give kudos to BMW as they have deleloped their system in house while Ferrari had Magneti Marenelli develop theirs.

No super skills on the track here - but don't tell my son, he thinks I am Schumacher.

vdavie said:
I don't know of any Ferrari owner who owns a 355 or 360 that has had his car in the shop as far as quality problems. The 348, that's another story, they have a bad history, but my understanding is after a certain year the bugs where worked out.

vince

We have at least one Prime member with that problems. He's called PulpStoryTeller and you can read about his experiences on his site:
http://www.pulpracing.com/stories.htm
when you scroll down the left column to chapter 50 and click on it.

Those of you who keep arguing over build quality need to re-read Eric5273's post above. I think you'll find that each of you is using a different definition of the term.

Eric5273 said:
I think in order to argue which car has a better "build quality" you first have to agree what exactly that means. I think the guy arguing that the 355 has a better build quality means that the materials used are of higher grade quality, such as using leather instead of vinyl, etc. If that is the case then I have to agree with him. The 355 definately has higher grade materials used to construct the car. I think the guy arguing that the NSX has a higher build quality is saying that the car is better built and therefore more reliable -- not necessarily built with better materials, but assembled with more precision. And I would have to agree with that as well.

This from the FAQ on this site:

"Honda in Japan did extensive testing on what dash material to use. They did have a few with leather and the leather shrunk and the stitching pulled apart. That is why the fake dash but the real stitching."

The European vehicle manufacturers have been and still are slow to recognize this. Cracked and shrunken dashes door panels and consoles are the hallmark of many of the "higher end" European cars because of their failure to recognize this and the silly notion by the public that real leather is somehow better and more luxurious.

I know that the older design window regulators in the NSX had some problems because of a failing component but even they were miles ahead of design Ferrari uses. I have had a couple of Ferrari owners ask me to refrain from putting the windows up and down because of this.

Go to ANY Ferrari dealer and count the number of cars in the service department for major repairs. I went to a invitation only Sunday brunch at a nearby Ferrari dealer. The purpose was to have your Ferrari checked over while you look at the new model and nosh on some great treats.
Later you would be sent a appraisal and recommendation of service you would need as a result of their findings.

At this event I had the opportunity to hang with some of the mechanics and was stunned when they showed me cars with less than 100 miles that needed major overhauls because of gasket failures and oil leaks. These included a F50 with 35 miles on the clock and a few 355's. This was before the 360 was introduced.

I respect the fact that some folks here can afford cars I cannot. If I could afford a new or newer model Ferrari I would buy one, I love the cars but I have no illusions about the reliability and build quality.

A fellow who is a member of Prime and a ex-Ferrari owner said of the owning experience: "it's like dating a supermodel. When it's good it's great, but when it's bad it's horrible."

Another friend of mine who raced a Ferrari sponsored car (used their motor in their IMSA car)told me when we were talking about the Ferrari "Joe, I don't mean to hurt your feelings because of your Italian heritage but they got the one thing right and the rest...."

l still want one. I just don't have the shekels.

And so it goes. I guess this can go on forever, being this is an NSX site it's only natural for folks to come to the defence of there cars, however, i suspects most of us own a NSX so we can talk about them with some history. As i have said many times before you can only form an informed opinion when you have ownwd and lived we a certain car for a period of time. I just read an artical last nite on the 430, but i cannot say what they said, good or bad in the artical is how i would see it. Until you have owned an NSX or a Ferrari you would not know. But hey THONDA, you can continue to call people stupid, even though you have never owned one and don't run one on the track. yes, yes, i know your thoughts

v

vdavie said:
And so it goes. I guess this can go on forever, being this is an NSX site it's only natural for folks to come to the defence of there cars, however, i suspects most of us own a NSX so we can talk about them with some history. As i have said many times before you can only form an informed opinion when you have ownwd and lived we a certain car for a period of time. I just read an artical last nite on the 430, but i cannot say what they said, good or bad in the artical is how i would see it. Until you have owned an NSX or a Ferrari you would not know. But hey THONDA, you can continue to call people stupid, even though you have never owned one and don't run one on the track. yes, yes, i know your thoughts

v

who did I call stupid? I don't even understand why you feel the need to defend the 355?? as this topic was never about the F355 at all. If i was a big man like you and owned a ferrari i wouldn't even bothe replying to post like this...but i guess you feel insecure in your purchase. Let's get over your babbling and move on.

Let me refresh your limited memory " just lost all respect for you over this STUPID freaking post" The post have been going back between the 360, 355, NSX and now the m3. Enough said, your right, i wont waste anymore of my time.

v

vdavie said:
Let me refresh your limited memory " just lost all respect for you over this STUPID freaking post" The post have been going back between the 360, 355, NSX and now the m3. Enough said, your right, i wont waste anymore of my time.

v

Vince,

Did you get a chance to take any pix this weekend?

i was not good weather this weekend, i thought it was going to rain so i didnt take the 355 out...It didnt. however, i did take some of the cars in my warehouse, they came out kinda dark.

v

Lets lighten the mood! How about some pictures of some 355's/360's!!! How about some modded F-cars?!? I've never seen a 355/360 with some nice aftermarket wheels!!! :D

Regards,
- Z

Back