• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Compressor problems

I received my new compressor with clutch from Airco yesterday and started dismantling my car for its installation today and have a couple of questions. The new compressor has the incorrect diameter clutch wheel even though Cindy from Airco triple reassured me it would be the correct size.
My old compressors clutch has a dry bearing. So ,now i'm stuck with my car on jack stands in the driveway with no compressor. Should I just get a smaller belt and use the Airco compressor and if so does anyone have a part# of a smaller belt that will work? At this point I'd like to order a factory original replacement does anyone know of somewhere where I can get one overnighted for Saturday?
Another thing I noticed is my original compressor had zero oil in it.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

Chris, I would not change the pulley size. It is calculated for compressor speed based on average engine rpm. The compressor (10PA15C) is used in hundreds of cars, but the pulley size is engine specific. Too large and it will not turn fast enough. Too small and it will over-rev at 8k rpm. You need to get the correct pulley and clutch plate, wherever you have to. Depending on what they sent you, the mag clutch is *probabally* the same size, but measure it to be sure before ordering parts so you don't loose more time.

f there was no oil in the compressor you removed, I would check the inside of both lines very carefuly for grey death. The best way to do this is to get a LINTLESS white cloth (hankerchief is great) and roll up a small bit. Use this to swab the inside of the metal lines, like a cutip, and look at the swab. If there is a barely percievable greyish tint, this is normal. If you see a definate grey transfer of obvious residue, flush the whole system before installing the new comp. This is an important step, not to be taken lightly.

HTH,
MB

NSXTech said:
Chris, I would not change the pulley size. It is calculated for compressor speed based on average engine rpm. The compressor (10PA15C) is used in hundreds of cars, but the pulley size is engine specific. Too large and it will not turn fast enough. Too small and it will over-rev at 8k rpm. You need to get the correct pulley and clutch plate, wherever you have to. Depending on what they sent you, the mag clutch is *probabally* the same size, but measure it to be sure before ordering parts so you don't loose more time.

f there was no oil in the compressor you removed, I would check the inside of both lines very carefuly for grey death. The best way to do this is to get a LINTLESS white cloth (hankerchief is great) and roll up a small bit. Use this to swab the inside of the metal lines, like a cutip, and look at the swab. If there is a barely percievable greyish tint, this is normal. If you see a definate grey transfer of obvious residue, flush the whole system before installing the new comp. This is an important step, not to be taken lightly.

HTH,
MB

Thanks for the info NSX tech, I will double Qtip every line is site. I was worried about using a smaller belt for the reasons you mentioned and you have persuaded me not to do so. I measured the original pulley diameter 5.750" and the Airco pulley is 5.00" I called Airco back and they have located a 5.750" refurbished unit and are having it shipped overnight on Friday so i'll hopefully have it on Sat.

Is it ok to leave the NSX on jack stands a couple of days?

Back