• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech doesn't warranty its 9lb Supercharger?!

I was going to install the 9lb SC until I found out that Comptech leaves you completely on your own. So I am stuck with the 6lb, which they cover for a year. Did you guys know this?

Yup, and I didn't buy it specifically because they don't warranty it.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

Yep, and it's not CARB certified either, though the smog check station won't be able to tell the difference. There are numerous 9-psi kits installed into the 3.0L base and over a dozen in the 3.2L base. No catastrophic failures that I'm aware of to date. It's about 20 RWHP gain. Potential problems actually seen are: wandering idle, improper A/F (one-size-fits-all rising rate fuel pressure regulator settings), sucky throttle response. Comptech ESM fixed the sucky throttle response and I didn't suffer from any of the other symptoms on my 3.2L, so I'm a happy camper.

Originally posted by 02NSX:
In theory after the warranty already expired one could upgrade to the 9lb? I was told it's roughly $1500.

Wow, only $75.00/hp...that's a bargain for Comptech! After all, they want $10,000 for about 85 hp which runs about $117.64 per pony. That makes the $45/hp I got with my BBSC seem pretty reasonable. (124hp for $5,600) Even at the new price that would only be less than half the $/hp.

Originally posted by TampaBayNSX-R:
Wow, only $75.00/hp...that's a bargain for Comptech! After all, they want $10,000 for about 85 hp which runs about $117.64 per pony. That makes the $45/hp I got with my BBSC seem pretty reasonable. (124hp for $5,600) Even at the new price that would only be less than half the $/hp.

Well, no one ever bought an NSX for its HP/price ratio. At least no one rational. Like the NSX, the CTSC has been field proven to give reliable performance. Nothing wrong with that. That's why we paid the premium for the NSX in the first place. My 10 PSI aftercooled commuter car with centrifugal SC is a much better price/performance ride than any NSX, BBSC or otherwise. Based on your logic, shouldn't you all be trading in your NSXs for bimmers then?

Originally posted by Number9:
Well, no one ever bought an NSX for its HP/price ratio. At least no one rational. Like the NSX, the CTSC has been field proven to give reliable performance. Nothing wrong with that. That's why we paid the premium for the NSX in the first place. My 10 PSI aftercooled commuter car with centrifugal SC is a much better price/performance ride than any NSX, BBSC or otherwise. Based on your logic, shouldn't you all be trading in your NSXs for bimmers then?

Not exactly. My logic was applied within the context of the NSX forum. I was simply comparing the value of two popular NSX performance options. If I wanted to consider a "Bimmer" I'd do it on the BMW boards.

I would suggest that, instead of comparing PEAK HP per dollar, people consider the increase in the area under the curve for the type of driving they are primarily concerned with per dollar as a more meaningful analysis.

Then of course there are also other factors aside from price which influence most of our decisions in life.

Originally posted by 02NSX:
Is there any other mod I should make to maximize HP? I did comptech headers, air thingy, SC, and Taitec JGTC parallel.

Drive the car on the track and get some seat time experience ..........
wink.gif

First - the upgrade is not that costly, mine was $1000.

Second - if you approach Comptech properly (not being a beligerant "you owe me this and that" type of a customer) they will warranty components on their 9 PSI unit.

Third - I never had *any* of the problems that Number9 mentions.

Fourth - unless they changed policy, the warranty on a new Comptech supercharger bolted onto a used NSX is two years, not one year. If the SC is bolted onto a brand new NSX, the warranty is three years.

Originally posted by Hrant:
Drive the car on the track and get some seat time experience ..........
wink.gif

Assuming that you are still under Acura warranty, how does all of the aftermarket parts affect warranty?

Originally posted by Blue Knight:
Assuming that you are still under Acura warranty, how does all of the aftermarket parts affect warranty?

The simple answer is that the Acura warranty still covers the car, but excludes any problems that are caused by the aftermarket parts. The devil is in the details, of course. Many of those details are well described in the FAQ here.

I just bought mine with a new CTSC set at 9 and I assumed it was covered. How difficult would it be to change to 6? How big a difference would that make?

The difference between the two kits is (a) blower pulley size (b) injector capacity (c) fuel pressure regulator spring (d) 20 HP.

If you are mechanically inclined, it will take you 4-6 hrs to "undo" the 9 PSI version to a 6 PSI version.

I called comptech just to confim all of this and they said that "They thought that the 9lb was pushing it too far for everyday use, and that although they haven't really had any problems they said that serious problems (ie engine blowing) were possible with 9lb unit. I also asked about warranty.
There is no 3 year warranty.
2 Year warranty on all new parts except for the 9lb SC.

They did say to check back in a year for a 9lb upgrade and that maybe things would be more sorted out by then.

Originally posted by Number9:
Yep, and it's not CARB certified either, though the smog check station won't be able to tell the difference. There are numerous 9-psi kits installed into the 3.0L base and over a dozen in the 3.2L base. No catastrophic failures that I'm aware of to date. It's about 20 RWHP gain. Potential problems actually seen are: wandering idle, improper A/F (one-size-fits-all rising rate fuel pressure regulator settings), sucky throttle response. Comptech ESM fixed the sucky throttle response and I didn't suffer from any of the other symptoms on my 3.2L, so I'm a happy camper.

"SUCKY" ? Sounds like a term one hear often at a local Chinese brothel.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

So 3 psi extra boost over std. 6psi boost for a measly 20rwhp gain isn't worth the extra $$ spent and the pain IMO. Me 2 cents, of course.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 30 July 2002).]

If I had the SC, the extra cash and a great race shop nearby, I would use that $1500-$2000 to tune the 6lb to produce more power than the 9lb and do it safely. This is what was done on Ken's 6lb NSX from Factor X. It's putting down more power than a 9lb (without the NOS) and has a better curve. If you plan to tune, they actually recommend the 6lb over the 9lb kit as they feel they can get better results. I tend to agree as I have yet to ride in any Comptech Sced NSX that feels anywhere near as fast.

I am always of the opinion that vendors should be held to their advertised promises, and I have posted on the subject before ...... and this applies to my products as well
wink.gif

Having said this, I think anyone who buys an aftermarket product with purported HP increase should hold the vendor to their word with before/after Dyno results. If the Dyno results prove the purported promises, the buyer pays for the Dyno cost. If the results improve on the stock but not as close as to the purported claims within 10% margin of error, the vendor pays for the Dyno and provides free labor for the install. And if the claims offer less than stock HP, the buyer has the option of refusing the product and vendor pays for the Dyno as well as the labor for un-installing the product - otherwise free labor and Dyno by vendor.

Now, if Factor X can improve the HP on a Comptech SC 6 boost, then I think that should be included in any Comptech SC offered to the public ...... or in the alternative, the above approach should apply to Factor X services as well but Dyno costs are already part of Factor X services ........ happy negotiations
biggrin.gif

Sorry but I think that is absurd. These are not stand-alone products that either perform or not on their own right out of the box.

If the unit is INSTALLED by the vendor, then I agree on holding them to their claims.

But when they sell you a performance part and it is installed by someone other than the vendor, there are way too many variables.

For example Comptech has ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over:

* Reliability of third party dynos (how often are most dynos calibrated??) or dyno operators

* The general condition of the car prior to installation of the new part (ask Mark Basch how many "other" problems he has run into while installing superchargers). Are your valves adjusted? Fuel filter clean? Air filter clean? Timing right? Rings worn? Injectors clean? Compression low? Wrong oil? Clutch slipping? etc. etc.

* The training or technique of the person installing or "tuning" their product

* Other items which may be installed in the car that could adversely affect the performance of their part

* Heck, even the quality of the GAS you bought down the street before your dyno run

Therefore it is ridiculous to hold them responsible for all these factors outside their control which influence the numbers on your dyno chart.

Why do you think Mark Basch is not allowing anyone else to install his sc right now? Because if something went wrong or didn't produce the right amount of power his product would automatically be blamed even if it was not at fault. Since it was a new product he wanted to make sure HE personally had control over the install of the first several dozen units, so if any of these outside factors adversely affected a later installation done by someone else, he would have a good basis of data for showing that it was indeed an outside factor and not related to his product.

Lud, those are all excuses .......... except for the one regarding the vendor doing the install, or the certified technician that the vendor sponsors/recommends. My post was based on such an install. We all know better!

All other issues you raise are variables which are assumed. No one in his right mind should expect to have maximum HP if they have abused their car or if it has over 100K miles with no major service ..... this is common sense .........
rolleyes.gif

The vendor can "calibrate" some of these variables by making upfront disclaimers, and if it makes you happy, I will give you 15% margin of error
smile.gif

If I for example bring my 98-T with 19K and meticulously maintained and serviced to Comptech or Basch (as an example) seeking a supercharger, they better deliver their advertised HP when I pick thie car. No excuses. And the comments were based on susing the same Dyno machine before and after ................ sheesh .......!

If there is that much variation in relatively well kept and low mileage NSXs, then the smart thing to do is to advertise less HP and let the customer leave the showroom with a bigger smnile. If you hype your product with numbers you better deliver the numbers or die with them ....... that is the essence of competition
wink.gif

And by the ay, I love both and all vendors, this was not directed to either one of them ........

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 30 July 2002).]

I like this thread, and my question maybe related. I don't know what HP the CTSC puts
out, But I have the SC, Headers, Thermal exhaust, 6spd trans, oil cooler ec. ect. ect.
And the car ran down a Mallet 435 and a 396
Supposedly 460hp and 425hp. It also kicked their butts through the esses. I was on a track. The car is very responsive with the 6lb.SC and I agree with a little tuning the car should be a little better.
I am very satisfied with the car, However I have a problem with the clutch it broke.
I don't know if it was the power or a defective unit. It only had about 2500 miles
on it. And I can drive, so it was not being abused. My question (finally) is what are you guys that have the high horsepower cars
doing for clutches and flywheels?
To be more specific the guys with the SC'd cars, I would like to get a quality clutch and flywheel set up for my car.
I don't drag race at all, so that isn't in the equation. I just want to make sure that I replace this with a proper setup, not one that just cost $$$$.
email offline if you want or if you are a
dealer of this kind of product I invite you to call me and tell me what you have.
314-741-0590 Leonard ,
I need a solution and fast
I can't wait 3 weeks for a part.
Thanks
Len3.8

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 30 July 2002).]

Hrant you are agreeing with me though you say you disagree -- in your example the vendors are doing the install!

Your arbitrary margins of error aside, the fact is this: Once the install is out of their hands, they cannot be responsible for it, any more than Dell is responsible if my computer runs really slow after I installed 86 different applications.

Same dyno? Yeah that may help. Or may not. If you have done enough dyno work you would know the same car on the same dyno on a different day with different people running it can vary considerably.

You are trying to bring a black and white "no excuses" attitude to an area that is NOT black and white. All the issues I listed are VALID REASONS, not "excuses," why a modification to a car may perform differently on a customers car than on the vendor's test car. Based on your feelings here I am guessing you came to modifying cars later in life...

When John Q. NSXer comes in with his Splitfire Magnum spark plugs, aftermarket intake mods designed by an amature, a slightly slipping clutch which he doesn't feel under normal driving, you can't put it on the vendor's shoulders when his dyno doesn't look right. You might think this scenario is rare, but it is actually COMMON!

If the vendor can reproduce their results on cars which are known to be sorted out properly, their product is obviously valid, and the people who are not getting those results need to look at THEIR car to see why. In my book people who try to put this on the vendor are the ones making the excuses!

Of course you may simply disagree with me, and I with you, and that is what makes this country great!

Originally posted by Lud:
Hrant you are agreeing with me though you say you disagree -- in your example the vendors are doing the install!

<snip>

Of course you may simply disagree with me, and I with you, and that is what makes this country great!

Lud, I too believe we are more in agreement than the posts may reflect but we ar coming to this from different perspectives ....... you as a tinkerer with mechanical skills who appreciates the nuances of whether it is a black, gray or white area ........ whereas I am approaching it from a marketing/consumer/vendor relationship ...........
wink.gif

As a vendor, I still stand behind my post which was premised on a basic good faith marketing principle: if one advertises certain benefits to a product they better be able to deliver those benefits to their customers. Very simple.

As a consumer, piling excuses, qualifiers, asserting such benefits will be achieved only in ideal conditions, or in a lab, or when all the stars are aligned and we have a harmonic conversion is silly ............ the last thing you want from a vendor/customer relationship is to deflate someone's expectations and ego for HP bragging rights (and we know the manhood of most are in bragging statistics and not seat time talent .....
biggrin.gif
) by identifying their car's shortcomings ......... when one pays $7K or $10K they don't want to hear: "oh I'm sorry but your car can't deliver what we advertised because we tested ours in such and such conditions which incidentally cannot be duplicated again ........"
rolleyes.gif

Thus my post focused on a better marketing mouse trap approach: advertise less HP based on the rule of averages (and this assumes the product has been tested with some numbers). If one's car is "average" they will get the same results on the "average" within a certain standard deviation ........

Yes this country is great! And caveat emptor seems to be the operating modus operandi in capitalism unless of course you can negotiate it as part of the price/risk of doing business ........

Cheers.

Back