• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech High Boost and Comptech ESM?

Looking at a 91 NSX which lists having a
-Comptech high Boost SC (10 psi)
- JDM NSX Type R high flow injectors
-Comptech E.S.M. (Electric Signal Modifier)

Is the ESM a replacement for the normal AEM EMS? Does this sound like a reliable setup that is commonly used? Seach didn't answer my questions.

Thanks for the info.

Keith

The ESM is just a signal modifier that tricks teh MAP sensor so the ECU keeps working under boost.

It is not a replacement for EMS.

Cheers,

AR

So would you think that an add on control such as the AEM be required for the high-boost setup?

The Comptech HiBoost Kit included larger injectors, a different FMU (variable rate fuel pressure regulator), and a smaller pulley, I think that was the only difference. I have been running the HiBoost on my car for three years and it was on the car prior to my ownership. The first thing I did when I got the car was to enlarge the injectors to 550cc, replace the FMU to an AEM 1:1 unit, and remove the boost-a-pump from the car. These changes require some sort of engine management, I used the AEM ECU and was very happy, I have since changed mine to the OEM ECU and the AEM FIC and have been very happy with that outcome as well. I changed the ECU for the FIC to learn the differences in the two systems, after learning to tune the AEM ECU I wanted to learn the AEM FIC.

If you plan is for street use only go with the FIC, easier to setup, install and tune. But if you are going for track/drag use then I would use the AEM ECU so you have total control. For me I have been happy with the FIC it does 98% of what I want it to do, the only real issue for me is not having the ability to command idle RPM like you can with the AEM ECU, but the trade off in tune time to get the drivablility and cald start was worth the trade to go with the FIC.

The idle control thing is only an issue for the older Whipple based HiBoost setups as the gear lash on the Whiple blower at idle is much louder than the later Autorotor units. Having the ability to command a higher idle to 900RPMs got rid of the unwanted noises on idle. With the FIC you have no control over the idle settings as the OEM ECU is charge of that all you can do is play with the throtle cable tension and throtle stop to raise the idle, not the most precise way to control idle.

Dave

Back