• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Comptech NSX

Read in an article that some acura dealers in the past was selling brand new modded NSXs with basically the full line of Comptech NSX parts, body kit, supecharger at a price of $140,000. Is this true? If so, how many were made? Any owners that bought it on this board? Any difference if we take an NSX and mod it using comptech parts ourselves?

Ryan

Is this true?

Yes, but $140k sounds a bit rich.

If so, how many were made?

Good Question, but not important. I don't see any premium on the car's value, other than the possibility of warranty coverage, which is really questionable at best, despite what the dealer may promise.

Any owners that bought it on this board?

No, too expensive that way!
wink.gif

Any difference if we take an NSX and mod it using comptech parts ourselves?

Yes, you would probably do a better job, especially if you hire someone who really knows what they are doing to do the work!!

Neillo in Sacramento has a new white 2000 with the following options:

COMPTECH SUPERCHARGER
CHROME SSR\EVOLUTION WHEELS 17x8
COMPTECH HEADERS, INTAKE & EXHAUST
215/40 17 FR 275/35 18 R MICHELIN PILOT SPORT
T-TOP COVER W/ CROSS BARS
HIGHFLO CARBON FIBER AIRBOX
COMPTECH SPRINGS
EQUIPMENT TAKES THE HP TO A STAGGERING 430!!
**** ASKING PRICE WAS $140,135 *****
Now asking $99,700
http://acura.niello.com/cgi/lookup/3870A

[This message has been edited by Exotica (edited 03 January 2002).]

I don't see any premium on the car's value, other than the possibility of warranty coverage, which is really questionable at best, despite what the dealer may promise.

I think that some mods may increase the value of the car, although not as much as the cost of the mods. For example, I think a car (especially a new car) with the Comptech supercharger is worth several thousand (perhaps five thousand) dollars more than a similar car without one, so there would indeed be a premium IMO. However, the cost of this mod is around $10K so please understand that I am NOT saying the mods are worth as much as their cost. And I am not saying that this car is worth anything like the current $99,700 asking price.

Warranty coverage is the same as with any other aftermarket component. The added parts themselves are covered by the warranty from Comptech. Any warranty on the installation services would be the responsibility of the installing dealer. The rest of the car remains under Acura's warranty, but problems with the car that are caused by the mods are excluded from coverage. Determining the cause of any problems is often a contentious issue, and it's not uncommon that disputes arise among the aftermarket vendor, the installing dealer, the automobile manufacturer, and the car's owner.

All of that being said - if a car has exactly the mods that a prospective buyer would have wanted anyway, it may be a relative bargain to buy a car that has already been modified.

I was under the the impression that the question was whether the fact that the dealer installed the components (vs. anyone else) add to the value of the car....

If that's the case, then I would guess the answer would be "no". I would think that the mods would affect the value (and sellability) of the car the same way, regardless of who installed them.

Maybe you get a little "bump" from the fact that the dealer can warranty the installation work for a while, but I doubt that it would be all that significant.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 04 January 2002).]

Originally posted by RyRy210:
Read in an article that some acura dealers in the past was selling brand new modded NSXs with basically the full line of Comptech NSX parts, body kit, supecharger at a price of $140,000. Is this true? If so, how many were made? Any owners that bought it on this board?

Yes it is true. I have one of those cars (I bought it used). Mine was built by John Eagle Acura in Houston. I understand they were building 3 or 4 cars a year like that and had no problem moving them. Not all had body kits (mine did not) and some had slightly differnt mods (full big brake kit, front-only big brake kit, etc.)

Any difference if we take an NSX and mod it using comptech parts ourselves?

Not as long as you know what you are doing.

Yea,

There was a brand new Comptech red targa at Scottsdale Acura for a long long time, price was $140,000, IMO it is a total waste of money as you can do all of those mods for much less, this one only had supercharger, BBS wheels, exhaust, and suspension upgrades. I dont know if it is still there, saw it there about 2 months ago.

Originally posted by NSXTC:
I was under the the impression that the question was whether the fact that the dealer installed the components (vs. anyone else) add to the value of the car....

How about that "Staggerring" 430 hp.
Wish mine could make that much power, gee wiz.

(Bad) Mark

Originally posted by Syonara:
Yea,

There was a brand new Comptech red targa at Scottsdale Acura for a long long time, price was $140,000, IMO it is a total waste of money as you can do all of those mods for much less, this one only had supercharger, BBS wheels, exhaust, and suspension upgrades. I dont know if it is still there, saw it there about 2 months ago.

That car was bought by a friend of mine. He paid under $90k for it.

Back