• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Sway bars - review requested

I know CT comes with front and rear, and the NSX-R is the rear one (available from SOS). NSX-R is always on back order also.

My car is pretty much stock at the moment, lowered on Bilstein lower perch, not close to afford a full coil-over setup yet (just did TB service and all hose replacement so feeling the pain ...), but may be lowered on H&R or Eibach springs soon. Maybe using for some HPDE days every year, mainly used in street/twisties. Do you think F & R CT bars would make the car too stiff? How adjustable are they? Can I play around with them - slightly stiffer than stock to more?

Looking for all your suggestions/comments.

Thanks.

NSX-R has a stiffer front bar, (it isn't back ordered or it wasn't last time we had them in a few weeks ago)
NSX Type-S has the stiffer rear bar.

You should also take in to account the chassis bars you already have, a NSX-R chassis bar or a aftermarket one will effect the swaybar.
It's very possible to generate under steer by having the front suspension too stiff.

Last edited:
I know CT comes with front and rear, and the NSX-R is the rear one (available from SOS). NSX-R is always on back order also.

My car is pretty much stock at the moment, lowered on Bilstein lower perch, not close to afford a full coil-over setup yet (just did TB service and all hose replacement so feeling the pain ...), but may be lowered on H&R or Eibach springs soon. Maybe using for some HPDE days every year, mainly used in street/twisties. Do you think F & R CT bars would make the car too stiff? How adjustable are they? Can I play around with them - slightly stiffer than stock to more?

Looking for all your suggestions/comments.

Thanks.

I think you will like them. Not too stiff. Slightly stiffer than the R bar and adjustable to go softer.

So, you feel that the CT sway bars will be a good fit with the NSX-R chassis bars that I have, or would NSX_R rear sway bar be a better match?

So, you feel that the CT sway bars will be a good fit with the NSX-R chassis bars that I have, or would NSX_R rear sway bar be a better match?

The chassis bar has nothing to do with the sway bar other than you may need to space out the chassis bar to give clearance to the sway bar. Which I can tell you on the comptech are not needed due to its shape. They are fully compatible. If you get the comptech, you get the set. Front and rear. Fully adjustable. The rear R bar I believe is identical to the 2004-2005 rear sway bar.

The front comptech bar hit my front nsxr bar on my 1997 nsx. Acura moved things around in 1997 and newer to accommodate the larger spare. User hrant used to sell (and may still sell) a spacer kit to make the lower nsxr brace not hit the front comptech brace on 1997 and newer cars

Really? I seem to have lots of clearance.

The pre 97 (batman) feedback is irrelevant as this interference issue started with the larger spare of the 1997 car. If Dave does not have the issue on a 04/05 car the the OP may or may not be ok with a 2000 nsx. To the op I would as ct engineering or driving ambition if they changed the shape of the front bar, or what model years had the nsxr bar interference issue. Maybe it was an issue for a subset of years (ie 1997-1999). But I know for a fact that it was an issue on my car and it was so much if an issue that a kit was made to address the problem.

Thanks for all the info. I will check with CT before ordering.

I just wanted to correct my previous error. I have a clearance issue and have since removed the lower brace. The clearance with the car on jacks is very different than clearance with the suspension compressed. My bad. You will need a spacer kit from what I can tell.

CT says there will be no clearance issue. Turbo/others, can you please provide more details?

Turbo/others were running the lower OEM type r bar which causes clearance issues with CT front sway bar. according to your profile, it sounds like u are running the same bar under your car. when you asked CT, did you mention that minor detail? just add a spacer if you wish to keep the lower bar or remove it entirely.

Last edited:
Correct. It's only with the lower R brace.

Oh, I see. I dont want to remove the lower R brace as it helps with stiffness for the targa.

Let me ask the CT folks again. Thanks.

You can space the bar out. SOS sells a kit. I don't think that brace does much honestly I think it's a placebo effect. It's one thing on an already stiff coupe with an R suspension on the track it's another on a targa car on the street. I'm not saying get rid of it if you like it but I've sort of had this discussion before on the subject of chassis rigidity and some of these braces.

The targa car only holds its entire structure front of the doors and aft of the doors via the floor and the frame rails. Doors are not structural at all. They are pivot points. Lots of claims are made on this site about various braces "stiffening" the targa but what you are actually doing is stiffening the rear half and the front half. What you are then doing with torsional stress on the chassis is increasing pressure on the weakest point, that being center section that's wide open from the floor pan up through the doors and all the way up and around the car to the other side. You are, if anything, increasing chassis flex at THAT particular weak point on the targa. While it may help stiffen the chassis elsewhere, it won't help at all with targa flex.

Here is your kit:

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...ducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/chassis_bar_spacers/

chassisbarspacerkit_NA2.jpg

Last edited:
Official email reply from CT - so does the above kit solves the problem, even though the SOS page does not mention CT swaybars?

----------------------------------------
We design all of our parts to work on totally stock cars. From what we have heard there are no clearance issues, I am sure we would have heard something from the thousands of these bars we have sold over the years. If people are running an NSX-R lower chassis bar in conjunction with our sway bar I suppose there could be an issue and while this may be a popular “upgrade” the amount of people running this combination is pretty low. Like I said, we haven’t heard of any clearance problems but if people are running parts other than stock you open the possibility of issues.

It sounds like you may need the spacer kit if you want to keep running your NSX-R bar. We don’t offer a spacer kit though, sorry.
----------------------------------------

Last edited:
The main thing in that kit are the longer bolts. You can even space it out with washers. But the spacers are helpful. SOS bars are comptech bars.

TURBO i remember you sketched up a targa roll cage that would reinforce the structure between the front and rear halves across the weak point. Did you ever have any other thoughts on how to *actually* reduce targa flex?

Yes what I drew up will work, but I need to gut my interior and move forward with the fabricator on it. I want to make something that works with and without a rollbar or cage. And do some actual tests. It is on my project list after I get my wheel and brake situation resolved. Just now starting the finite element analysis on the wheel design. I'd like to see if FEA can be done on the whole cage/bar/brace structure too.

I'm basically welding the A and B together up top. It's the only way. That bar will see a lot of stress it has to be solid. With the fabricator we were looking at aluminum 2" thick and 5" wide. A big plate with a slight curve and attachment wings.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with the Dali track sway bar rubbing the NSX R chassis bar so i purchased the GT Spec bar from Source 1, it has a kink in the bar so doesn't rub anymore i bought those spacers and thought that would make the whole thing weaker so tried this option and sold the 'R' bars
View attachment 113717View attachment 113718View attachment 113719

OP: if you want to keep the lower NSX-R bar, just buy the spacer kit from SOS, at stock height there may not be interference but as you go lower you will eventually hit. I had to buy the spacer kit to for my 91 and like Turbo said, it all looked fine when I installed it until I lowered the car back to the ground. The lower chassis bar probably does nothing we will ever really notice, but I still like my placebos :smile:

I have the old, non-adjustable CT bars (19mm front and rear) on my NSX and love them. Just right for street and track. No difference in comfort level.

Back