• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Compustar alarm ??

My Python inexpicably bit the dust yesterday - suddenly started goofing up;there are relays going nuts chattering on/off inside the controller & it won't arm/shut-off or open/lock the doors/trunk.

Anyone who hasthe Compustar?
I'm looking at the 2WSS-AS
Should I get the motion/proximity option?
(Had the DEI one with my Python & it was such a PITA I took it out & threw it away!!!)
Any other optional extra's? I'm considering the window module.
Comes with 2-stage shock sensor anyway so was going to pass on the glass sensor.

E-Baydealer

Is this a good price?

Should I be thinking of something else or is this "the" alarm to get right now?

COMPUSTAR

I have the 2WSS-AS COMPUSTAR Alarm on my NSX and I love it. I didn't get the motion sensor becuase it really doesn't stop people from touching the car - I have it on my truck and while I'm in a store the pager beeps constantly when people simply walk by.

An early warning is what you want besides you can change the sensitivity level on those things. I usally park where usally people dont walk so close so .

OK - now I'm torn ....
Compustar - Viper - Crimestopper????
Thanks for the opinions above & also I've had some great private mail too - need more inputs on Pro's & Con's please of these three options.

It's tough deciding on an alarm. Most of them have the same basic features. A good resource online I've found for installation, problems, reviews, etc is www.the12volt.com

What it came down for me for my decision with Crimestopper was at the time, it had the smallest 2 way remote. The remote uses a single AAA battery that lasts several months. Compustar's alarm now looks almost identical in remote size. Another thing the Crimestopper had was a dedicated output to disarm the factory alarm. Plus they've been around forever and I've never had a problem getting support. They support self installation.

I try sticking with Directed (which basically owns almost everyone now) or Crimestopper. I've seen too many of these little alarm companies come and go. Someday you are going to need a new remote or a relay in the brain will go out or you need a new harness.

Malibu Rapper said:
.... I try sticking with Directed (which basically owns almost everyone now) or Crimestopper. I've seen too many of these little alarm companies come and go. Someday you are going to need a new remote or a relay in the brain will go out or you need a new harness.
(Malibu has been most helpful - great support in the pm's I mentioned in my post above.)

I'm almost resigned to go with the Viper for these reason's - the install should be a lot easier too as a lot of the existing wiring interface will likely not have to be replaced due to the previous installation
(not that that really is a probitive reason against going with the others).
With the new remotes being more compact it narrows the differences too - let's be honest, they all do pretty much the same thing, a lot of the preference comes down to the remote features & programability.

What's with Directed & all those brands anyway - is there really any difference between them??????

Thanks for the kind words Ken, only trying to return the favor...

Anyhow, there really isn't a difference between all the different Viper, Hornet, Python brands. I think the reasoning had to do with authorized dealerships. The equivalent alarms with different model numbers had the same prices but Viper is their prized name which should have the higher end alarms that may not be offered in Hornet or Python.

One reason why you might want to stick to Viper is that as long as I had been installing their alarms, they used the same harness. So I remember a while ago, a girlfriend's car had this old viper 300 alarm in it and I just went and purchased a Viper 800 ESP alarm and all the harnesses just plugged right in. Easiest alarm install I ever had. You might want to call them on the new Viper alarms to see if they use that same old harness. It kinda looks that way from the pictures on Viper's site and from some pictures on eBay. So if you don't wanna have to do a lot of cutting and splicing, this may make your decision a little easier.

D'Ecosse said:

What's with Directed & all those brands anyway - is there really any difference between them??????

No, not really. Well, there are differences, but many of the top line Viper is the same as the top line Python. At least that is how it used to be. I know all the sensors, siren, and accessories are all the same either way. I'm not sure if it is still this way, but back in the 90s DEI was well known for their Viper line. Only a select install shops that meet a certain level were allowed by DEI to be Viper dealers. The great marketing guys at DEI wanted more exposure, so they released the Python line and Sidewider line to lessor dealers. My friends shop was a Python dealer, and the top Python (For example Model 5000) was the exact same as the Viper (For example Model 500) unit. We took it apart and the only difference was the name on the remote. Anyway, from a sales point of view they can sell the same equipement but keep their Viper line elite. I'm not sure if they is stil true today, but the Viper 2 way pager model is the same as the Clifford Matrix models.

I also agree that DEI alarms are very easy to work with and install. I have installed Clifford (Before it was bought out by DEI), Crimegurd, Alpine, and various DEI (Python, Viper, Hornet). I personally an using a DEI Hornet/Valet 554T.

I agree with chrisK and Malibu .I was shopping for a car alarm today and was told by an installer that I know that there is no difference between the viper and python. He stated that DEI does this so that they can have lots of dealers in one area. If they have a viper dealer in one area they technically can not open beside it but they can open a python dealer next door :D . He also stated that Viper is viewed as the cadillac (oops i meen NSX) because of its history and brand image.

I am trying to get an alarm for theft protection and keyless entry. I never received a factory remote with my car when I bought it. I was wondering what you guys think about the 2 way paging models vs standard style. The three types he showed me were a python 2 way, sidewinder and hornet. Do you feel the 2 way is worth the extra or just a little fancier.

Thanks Wade

Back