• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Connecticut school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say we are very similar to Canada. Canadians for example own more guns/100K people than Americans YET somehow they have a much much lower homicide rate. Any logical reason for that?
Sure: It's not true. Canadians own only about a third as many guns as Americans on a per capita basis, as noted here.

Oh my.

The 2nd Amendment provides "a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The 2nd Amend makes no mention of the right to hunt or shoot clays or targets. It specifically notes "...necessary to the security of a free .

Ok so can you help me understand what you are saying better? What exactly is your point? Sorry if I am not getting it. Can you tell me what you mean and how this relates to the types of guns you think should be available as you seem to have alluded to?

What I am thinking you mean, is that the second amendment in so many words is saying there should be enough firepower in the hands of a people to free themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure: It's not true. Canadians own only about a third as many guns as Americans on a per capita basis, as noted here.

I was about to same the same thing.

So let's just give children guns as well and have ourselves a good ol' shoot out a la the O.K. Corral. Do you not realize how ridiculous this is?

I like how you attempt to attack me but deliver no rational argument to change things for the better. Status quo: CHECK

Isn't "responsible gun ownership" what we've had for the past 200+ years? It's funny how we all love one Japanese car yet can't seem to share their ideals as well. Japan does not allow their citizens to own any guns, their crime rates are lower, and have almost zero gun related deaths/year.

Sorry but I think the time to make stricter gun laws has passed. It's time to get rid of guns all together. How many more lives need to be lost until we get things right?

Terrorists kill Americans & we spend billions on a War on Terror. Americans killed daily by guns, not a word is spoken against the gun lobby.

I didn't attack you. I told you that your equation of religious people to irrationality was of no point / value to this conversation. You can't defend your blanket statement so it is of no value. Simple as that. Maybe you just want to see it as an attack because your sole reason for saying it was either sheer ignorance or trying to start a fight...

I also like how you said I did not give any ideas to change things, then you quote those ideas I gave in your next post... Thats classic considering YOU are the one to offer up no realistic ideas. Just BAN BAN BAN.

The rest of your post is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. Japanese cars, 200years ago, Japan statistics without any sources, now you bring in terrorism?... You can't stay on topic and sound just like a troll trying to start a fight. Good luck with that..

Everyone's talking about gun control and the 2nd amendment, how about family values? How about the respect for life? Well we all know the cost of life is 250bucks at the local planned parenthood. Kids don't have any respect for life or a human soul. I wonder why? This shouldn't be as much a conversationabout gun control as bringing back family values and the value of life.

Sorry but I think the time to make stricter gun laws has passed. It's time to get rid of guns all together. How many more lives need to be lost until we get things right?

Terrorists kill Americans & we spend billions on a War on Terror. Americans killed daily by guns, not a word is spoken against the gun lobby.

I agree to an extent for stricter gun laws. Any normal person can go to Dicks Sporting Goods or Walmart and buy an "assault rifle" and ammunition. After some paperwork and a slack background check for felonies or recorded mental health issues, a weapon can be had in about 40 minutes and in the backseat of your car. All this talk about how assault weapons are illegal just shows how ignorant you are. Are suppressors illegal as well? In fact, it took me a $200 tax stamp and a wait time of 3 months for my suppressor to arrive.

I completely disagree with your thought on banning all guns. Although these tools may be implemented for the sole purpose of killing, it also rides along the lines of self defense. I own 8 weapons, and conceal carry every step I take. Of the weapons I do own, 4 of them are 'assault rifles.' Am I scared? Absolutely not, and certainly not as scared as the ones without personal protection. I think of my personal rights to carry as an extension of my fist. In this regard, I don't go throwing punches every time I get in an argument or become distraught over something. Having personal responsibility, and knowing, that I do have more power over the crazy people that do live in this world gives me only a mediocre sense of security.

As someone else said... you have to take a drivers test before you drive a car. One must obtain a physical before they can play sports or join the military. I wholeheartedly agree that some order of having a mental physical exam performed before one can purchase any weapon wouldn't be out of reach to do to protect more innocent lives. Ya, it may be a hassle, but isn't going to the DMV at whatever time of day a hassle as well? I'll take that extra hour out of my day to take a mental exam so I can purchase another firearm. If thats what it takes to protect the ones I care about around me, and even to the sheep who cry gun ban, I certainly would.

What I am thinking you mean, is that the second amendment in so many words is saying there should be enough firepower in the hands of a people to free themselves?

I think to not become inslaved in the first place sounds a little better. But as of right now it's a free country so you can type whatever you like. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I agree to an extent for stricter gun laws. Any normal person can go to Dicks Sporting Goods or Walmart and buy an "assault rifle" and ammunition. After some paperwork and a slack background check for felonies or recorded mental health issues, a weapon can be had in about 40 minutes and in the backseat of your car. All this talk about how assault weapons are illegal just shows how ignorant you are. Are suppressors illegal as well? In fact, it took me a $200 tax stamp and a wait time of 3 months for my suppressor to arrive.

I completely disagree with your thought on banning all guns. Although these tools may be implemented for the sole purpose of killing, it also rides along the lines of self defense. I own 8 weapons, and conceal carry every step I take. Of the weapons I do own, 4 of them are 'assault rifles.' Am I scared? Absolutely not, and certainly not as scared as the ones without personal protection. I think of my personal rights to carry as an extension of my fist. In this regard, I don't go throwing punches every time I get in an argument or become distraught over something. Having personal responsibility, and knowing, that I do have more power over the crazy people that do live in this world gives me only a mediocre sense of security.

As someone else said... you have to take a drivers test before you drive a car. One must obtain a physical before they can play sports or join the military. I wholeheartedly agree that some order of having a mental physical exam performed before one can purchase any weapon wouldn't be out of reach to do to protect more innocent lives. Ya, it may be a hassle, but isn't going to the DMV at whatever time of day a hassle as well? I'll take that extra hour out of my day to take a mental exam so I can purchase another firearm. If thats what it takes to protect the ones I care about around me, and even to the sheep who cry gun ban, I certainly would.

Yeah because a flash suppressor makes a gun more deadly like a type R sticker makes a car faster.

My open offer to you.... You go to a gun show in NY and purchase a gun at any table without any background check or filling out any paperwork, record it on video and I will personally donate 500 dollars to the charity of your choice and I will say your right. If you can't do so then you come back and say you're wrong and were misinformed.

That's just NY. It doesn't apply to all states.

What is with all of the ignorance around here that thinks anyone can go down to their local sporting goods store and walk out with a military assault rifle or a handgun? I challenge anyone in any state here to actually go down to their sporting goods store and buy a military assault rifle or handgun with no Firearms ID card and let us know how you make out.

Also for your enhanced comprehension of what is classified as an assault weapon
Assault weapon (semi-automatic) refers primarily (but not exclusively) to firearms that possess the cosmetic features of an assault rifle (which are fully-automatic). Actually possessing the operational features, such as 'full-auto', is not required for classification as an assault weapon; merely the possession of cosmetic features is enough to warrant such classification as an assault weapon. Semi-automatic firearms, when fired, automatically extract the spent cartridge casing and load the next cartridge into the chamber, ready to fire again; they do not fire automatically like a machine gun; rather, only one round is fired with each trigger pull.
In the former U.S. law, the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, non-select-fire AK-47s produced by three manufacturers, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of cosmetic features from the following list of features:

A semi-automatic Yugoslavian M70AB2 rifle.

An Intratec TEC-DC9 with 32-round magazine; a semi-automatic pistol formerly classified as an Assault Weapon under Federal Law.
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4*kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

It is unfortunate for the grieving families that the media circus has already begun.

It is absolutely disgusting how the 24/7 coverage from the media sensationalizing this tragedy and mentioning the killer's name in every story. Maybe this 20 yr old get's what he was looking for after all. Why have they been interviewing children? Have they no shame? What has happened to responsible reporting?

.....and finally to those that think this is such an unsafe place to live.....leave. Don't try to change our country or take away our rights......move to Europe or Japan or wherever else you may think you will be happier.

^ Hmmm. My road or the high road. How adult.

Let's face it, this is a super-complex issue. No one is going to "take away all the guns," it's too late for that. But changes will need to be made. Perhaps even a more accurate interpretation of what the founders meant by the second amendment. Mental health problems are numerous in such a large population and "patient confidentiality" keeps some people from getting help.... there are myriad twists and turns to this issue. It won't be solved tomorrow, but, perhaps, this awful event will cause progress to be made. Every long journey is made a single step at a time.

Last edited:
^ Hmmm. My road or the high road. How adult.

Exactly.....you don't have to live somewhere you feel unsafe, nor would anyone expect you to. Along with the right to bear arms, you also have the right to leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think it's fairly self explanatory

It is absolutely disgusting how the 24/7 coverage from the media sensationalizing this tragedy and mentioning the killer's name in every story. Maybe this 20 yr old get's what he was looking for after all. Why have they been interviewing children? Have they no shame? What has happened to responsible reporting?
I was so pissed this am that Katie kuric had a family on that i think lost a child at the school..there she is with that soft "compassionate stare" as this poor father is babbling with grief,the mother is obviously in shock and the brother is just crying...what the hell is going on.....leave these poor people alone and stop pandering your tv shows to get ratings...

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

We'll see.

And now back to your regular programming...........

FWIW, I agree with everything you are saying (wouldn't be the first time).

But kudos for you (as a moderator) for letting this discussion run its natural (albiet, predictable) course.

You also forgot to mention you have the right to change it if the majority agree to do so. Leaving isn't the only option.

Exactly.....you don't have to live somewhere you feel unsafe, nor would anyone expect you to. Along with the right to bear arms, you also have the right to leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Amendment II

.....and finally to those that think this is such an unsafe place to live.....leave. Don't try to change our country or take away our rights......move to Europe or Japan or wherever else you may think you will be happier.

WOW!! Just Wow!

That's just NY. It doesn't apply to all states.

Alright then let me fix that for ya...

What's on the market is QUITE deadly and way over what is necessary and after countless "no's" and endless hours in the editing room a one sided media would fool someone into thinking they are sold at any gun show nationwide every Saturday with no background checks.
--------------------
I like to work of facts which I experience myself. Even then I keep an open mind because life is dynamic.

My offer still stands, in fact I will quadruple it. Blanket statements hardly ever hold water. In fact I'm sure you could purchase a gun at a NY gun show without a background check but most likely it'd be from an ATF agent and it'd come with a shiny set of bracelets with a short chain attaching them together.

I was so pissed this am that Katie kuric had a family on that i think lost a child at the school..there she is with that soft "compassionate stare" as this poor father is babbling with grief,the mother is obviously in shock and the brother is just crying...what the hell is going on.....leave these poor people alone and stop pandering your tv shows to get ratings...

I'm not watching any of it, a little bit out of protest but mostly because I just can't emotionally and I don't want to have that shit bouncing around in my head.

Steve, I don't want to just continue to argue... i get that you think my point doesn't hold water, but I think you keep repeating the same thing that makes no sense. I've known you for a long time on here and was in no way disrespectful to you. I thought you and I knew each other better than for you to be jumping down my throat like this. My comment is not directed at you, it was directed at "if you don't like it leave the country".

Obviously this thread isn't going to go anywhere, this is as hot a topic as abortion. I think we are flirting on the edge here and I am exiting the conversation. Lets not have hard feelings over a subject we disagree on (and probably just parts of the subject and not even all of it).

Steve, I don't want to just continue to argue... i get that you think my point doesn't hold water, but I think you keep repeating the same thing that makes no sense. I've known you for a long time on here and was in no way disrespectful to you. I thought you and I knew each other better than for you to be jumping down my throat like this. My comment is not directed at you, it was directed at "if you don't like it leave the country".

Obviously this thread isn't going to go anywhere, this is as hot a topic as abortion. I think we are flirting on the edge here and I am exiting the conversation. Lets not have hard feelings over a subject we disagree on (and probably just parts of the subject and not even all of it).

It's all good. I respect your opinion even if its wrong :D the only reason it appears I am repeating myself is because I have to state different facts each time to debauched the new and improved argument that comes up from the other side each time the previous statement is crushed. No biggie. :smile:

At the end of the day we think differently and I can respect that. I always state how I feel regardless of company present and sometimes people get offended. That doesn't mean I don't consider you a friend.

- - - Updated - - -

It's all good. I respect your opinion even if its wrong :D the only reason it appears I am repeating myself is because I have to state different facts each time to debauched the new and improved argument that comes up from the other side each time the previous statement is crushed. No biggie. :smile:

At the end of the day we think differently and I can respect that. I always state how I feel regardless of company present and sometimes people get offended.

Edit. As for the abortion issue statically speaking out of 26 babies conceived 10 are aborted. No one is trying to ban surgical scissors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back