• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering comptech springs and sways - affect on ride quality?

Hi everyone,

So I bought my NSX two days ago and I'm already thinking of modifying even though I said I wouldn't for a while ... :rolleyes:

I want to lower the car (right now it has stock suspension on upgraded wheels) as simply as possible, without the hassle of complex coilovers systems like JIC or HKS. Not to mention I really don't feel like spending $4k getting everything bought and dialed in.

I'm considering getting the comptech springs and swaybars at the same time. Does anyone know how this will affect ride quality and composure on rough (not horribly beat up but typical city streets) roads? Is the comptech 1" drop too aggressive for a couple drives per week?

Can I use the comptech springs with the stock shocks without throwing off the drivability of the car?

I'm mainly worried about composure - I hate skittish and/or jittery performance on rough roads. Stock is great.

As far as performance goes, I don't plan on road racing my car, so simplicity, ride quality, and looks are my main concerns.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

I've got Eibach springs (lowers car about 1", start out with same stiffness, but get a bit stiffer under compression), and Comptech bars front and rear.
The lowering looks great, although you do need to be a bit more careful of driveways and such.

The ride quality is near stock ... you can feel a slight loss of independence from left to right because of the stiffer bars, but the springs are similar to stock. Roll is much reduced due to the bars and lowering.

Arent the Comptech springs really, really, stiff? If they are the race springs I am thinking of, they are not suitable for comfort on the street.

PS: this should be in tech forum.

I'm speaking of the "Sport Springs" (http://www.comptechusa.com/store/suspension10.html) which are "Slightly firmer than stock".

They have several suspension systems (threaded coilovers, etc) also listed on their site too.

Does the car feel any less stable (ignoring ride quality) on uneven pavement with your swaybars and lowering?

Thanks, and I'll post in the tech forum next time... hopefully a moderator will move this one.

Get Eibach springs instead. I for one vote it to be comfortable and not jittery until the shocks worn out.

mike... i just installed a used set of comptech sport package springs and shocks..... they are used and i am not sure how many miles they have on them.... the package includes the spings (which i am told are similar to eibacks and koni yellow adjustable shocks.... i lowered the car approx 3/4" ( there is just a little less than 1 finger space between the fenders and the wheels) and started out with the shocks set on the stiffest setting.... first thing i noticed was the very bouncy ride.... but the steering response was incredible.... VERY responsive..... after driving the car on the stiffest setting, i moved the shocks to the softest setting.... still have very responsive steering and the ride on the street is VERY close to the stock ride.... where i notice a BIG difference is when i hit a BUMP in the road... the car feels as if the spring is bottoming out with a HARD THUMP..... this may be adustable to eliminate the thump, i dont know..... overall, i am still undecide if i am completly happy with the set up.... the look of the car is very applealing to me.... amazing what a more aggressive look you get with jsut a little lowering... additionaly, i now have a VERY challenging task of getting into my garage now with the car lowered due to the downhill grade into my garage from the street... i can do it without bottoming out, but ONLY if i hit the crest of the driveway/sidewalk at the perfect angle and VERY VERY slow backing.....hope this helps a little... i am by no means an expert when it comes to performance modifications.... i tend to seek as must info as you are doing from others here on PRIME.....very knowledgeable guys... just dont ruffle the feathers without doing a search..... dave

Hi all,

I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like Bilstein shocks will lower the car with their lower perch setting.

Does anyone have pictures of a car with only bilstein shocks providing a drop, and stock springs? Stock springs, lower shocks, and aftermarket sways should be all I need for weekend driving around town.

Also, is there a shock that does not, by itself, lower the car at ALL? I want to lower my car with a spring/shock combo but am afraid of lowering more than 1" as there are some steep driveways around and I don't really feel like scraping the front bumper or bottom of my chassis on any peaks or valleys.

Thanks for any input!

I have comptech springs with stock struts and I love the ride. It is a little stiffer than stock but not bad at all. I drive my NSX 3 to 4 time a week. I was worried about stiffness before I put them on but was suprized after I installed them. Much better ride than I thought.

For whatever its worth, Comptech used to carry Eibach springs years ago. But given the inconsistent quality control of Eibachs where springs varied in their loads as much as by 50 ft-lbs (or however they are measured), Comptech now has its own supplier of a similarly rated and progressive springs.

Bilstein on lower perch with stock springs and Comptech or DaliRacing street/track swaybars will be more than sufficient for your needs. I have the same set up and for street driving you don't want anything stiffer. HTH.

Edit: Ken, thanks for catching the edit :wink:

Last edited:
Hrant said:
For whatever its worth, Comptech used to carry Eibach springs years ago. But given the inconsistent quality control of Eibachs where springs varied in their loads as much as by 50 ft-lbs (or however they are measured), Comptech now has its own supplier of a similarly rated and progressive springs.

Bilstein on lower perch with stock shocks and Comptech or DaliRacing street/track swaybars will be more than sufficient for your needs. I have the same set up and for street driving you don't want anything stiffer. HTH.

Hrant,
Just a point of fact, you do mean to say "Bilstein on lower perch with stock springs...", right?

Guys, thanks for the input!

Hrant, how much did the Bilstein's lower your car? Is it 7/8" inch like I've been reading, or something else?

And in general... I've been reading that installing only aftermarket shocks is better than installing only aftermarket springs, because of increase damping loads leading to stock shock failure? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!!

Mike, initially the Bilsteins lowered it about 5/8". But with tracking the car, it seems to have settled about 7/8" to 1". Any more and I will not get into my driveway.

Increased damping loads on stock shocks with stiffer springs is indeed a potential problem. While the Bilsteins are about 25% stiffer than the OEM shocks, they can handle the Eibach or Comptech springs, and even the slightly stiffer DaliRacing springs (30% more than Eibach) but can't handle the Zanardi springs unless the Bilsteins are revavlved - trust me I called Bilstein!

If you like the option to play with stiffer setups, you can go with Koni and DaliRacing springs or Eibach. However this will set the car about 1.25" lower and that may work for you. Koni on the softest setting may give you a similar set up as the Bilsteins but I don't care much for progressive springs. And a few locals still think Koni on the softest is still a bit harsh for street driving. Remember, California roads are rarely smooth nowadays. HTH.

Hrant,

Great info, thanks.

I had the height and ride adjustable Konis and Eibachs pro kit on my Supra, and although it made the car look great and handle pretty well on the street, driving on rough pavement was pretty bad. Since the NSX is my only car (not really a daily driver though) I will probably shy away from the Konis.

I'm still undecided about the Eibachs and their progressive resistance, as I haven't tried them with a softer shock. The folks with 3+ years on eibachs and stock shocks make it sound very tempting though...

I guess I'm just going to have to take the plunge and make a decision one of these days :)

Thanks for the comments again

Mike

Mike Hughes said:
Hi all,

I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like Bilstein shocks will lower the car with their lower perch setting.

Does anyone have pictures of a car with only bilstein shocks providing a drop, and stock springs? Stock springs, lower shocks, and aftermarket sways should be all I need for weekend driving around town.

Also, is there a shock that does not, by itself, lower the car at ALL? I want to lower my car with a spring/shock combo but am afraid of lowering more than 1" as there are some steep driveways around and I don't really feel like scraping the front bumper or bottom of my chassis on any peaks or valleys.

Thanks for any input!

I lowered my 91 using Bilstein shocks I got from Dali Racing and upgraded to SOS sway bars and 18/19 SSR wheels at the same time. You can find more info and pics at http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58365

I think it lowered about 3/4" and there is not much difference in ride quality. I believe the stock 91 shocks must be worn as the ride now is much smoother (it was jittery before).

lutera -

Nice looking setup!

Are they 18/19 or 17/18? In the thread you say 17/18.

Thanks. :)

lutera said:
I lowered my 91 using Bilstein shocks I got from Dali Racing and upgraded to SOS sway bars and 18/19 SSR wheels at the same time. You can find more info and pics at http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58365

I think it lowered about 3/4" and there is not much difference in ride quality. I believe the stock 91 shocks must be worn as the ride now is much smoother (it was jittery before).

Mike Hughes said:
lutera -

Nice looking setup!

Are they 18/19 or 17/18? In the thread you say 17/18.

Thanks. :)

My bad, they are 17/18. I thought the 18/19 would have too low tire sidewall height so decided to go with 17/18 and happy with them. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Back