• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering NSX purchase

Greetings All -

I have just registered and am thinking about purchasing an NSX. I have purchased a number of Porsches before, so I have some exposure to doing my homework, pre-purchase inspections, looking for the previous owners who are aficionados, etc.

I am looking at vehicles in the 20K - 40K mileage range. Are there any problematic areas, endemic to the breed, that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

hi marty,
welcome to prime. $20-$40k seems like a very broad range, are you looking for NA1(5spd 3.0L) or NA2(6 spd 3.2L)? If 91-92 NA1s, watch out for snap ring issues.

good luck

martyg,
Saying "look out for Snap Ring issues" isn't enough advice to help you decide on whether the NSX is a good choice for you or not. After you do some reading you will find that many NSX veterans don't consider the snap ring issue to be that big of a deal.

Read the Wiki at the top of the page and many of your purchase questions will be answered.

I don't think you can find a 20k trouble free NSX unless it has salvage title. There are alot of good ones out there which are in the range of 30k-40k. You might want to pay a little more now to prevent any headaches later.

Good luck with your searching and welcome to the forum.

I don't think you can find a 20k trouble free NSX unless it has salvage title. There are alot of good ones out there which are in the range of 30k-40k. You might want to pay a little more now to prevent any headaches later.

Good luck with your searching and welcome to the forum.

I think he said 20-40k MILEAGE range not 20-40k dollar range

Welcome Marty- I've owned some PCars over the years too, and ultimately find the NSX to be very well-balanced car and a perfect compliment to any stable.

GL- sometimes the search may be just as exciting as owning the car.

Sadly I've noticed several prime members selling their cars in marketplace lately. Now would be the time to pick up an excellent deal.:smile:

Greetings All -

I have just registered and am thinking about purchasing an NSX. I have purchased a number of Porsches before, so I have some exposure to doing my homework, pre-purchase inspections, looking for the previous owners who are aficionados, etc.

I am looking at vehicles in the 20K - 40K mileage range. Are there any problematic areas, endemic to the breed, that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Change is good sometimes :)

An nsx in the low 20's will have 200K+ miles and this car seems well maintained in that price range.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&transmission=&max_price=23999&cardist=2283

Mint 91-92s with less than 30k miles go for 33-38K though most need timing belt service.
good examples with 50-79k miles hover around 29-31k without much deferred maintance required.
When purchasing make sure the A/C blows cold(3K service if evaporator needed), check the bose speakers, window regulators, Timing belt service and history is important.

93-94 added passanger airbag and less aggressive suspension setup, has the updated window regulators.
95-96s are heavier by 100lbs and are T roofs, with alot updates.
97 is NA2 with 6 speed and 3.2 motor more updates not much difference in accleration and top speed with NA1 or NA2.
02 is NA2 faclift which yeilds higher top speed 175mph versus 169. Though you can increase the NA1 topspeed with undertray and minor aero changes.

In your price range I would seek a clean 91-94 with all records. 97s with low miles and history are generally in the mid 40's. If you are not concerned with performance numbers than a 95-96 is a good value.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

As pointed out already - he said 20k-40k mileage range.

He did not specify a price range.

My own two cents is that I would not focus so much on the mileage range. There are 91s with 20K miles and 05s with 40K.

Steps in shopping for an NSX:

1. set a budget
2. decide NA1, NA2, T, color, etc.
3. shop, drive a few cars
4. adjust budget if necessary
5. narrow search
6. rigorously evaluate the car
7. buy

Service history is good as always but perhaps not as critical as with some cars. TB/WP should be considered but I think not enough here talk about the clutch. It seems a NA2 clutch is $4K - or more than 2X the TB/WP service.

As pointed out already - he said 20k-40k mileage range.

He did not specify a price range.

My own two cents is that I would not focus so much on the mileage range. There are 91s with 20K miles and 05s with 40K.

Steps in shopping for an NSX:

1. set a budget
2. decide NA1, NA2, T, color, etc.
3. shop, drive a few cars
4. adjust budget if necessary
5. narrow search
6. rigorously evaluate the car
7. buy

Service history is good as always but perhaps not as critical as with some cars. TB/WP should be considered but I think not enough here talk about the clutch. It seems a NA2 clutch is $4K - or more than 2X the TB/WP service.

Ditto. Hoffam nailed it right on the head. This process may take 6 months to a year, or more for some very picky people.. but it is well worth it. #3 is critical. Don't buy a car unless you know absolutely everythign about it, and accept whatever shortcomings it has. After as much as 17 years and usually at least 75K miles, most cars are bound to have at least something with it. Whenever I hear "perfect condition, nothign wrong" I am weary.. they are out there, but I don't think that most that are for sale are actually pristine. That is unless you're willing to shell out the big bucks and pay 35k+ for a prisitine early model car.

Good luck!

Welcome!!! I like the idea of converting another Porsche owner! :biggrin:

I listed these in order of expense to give you an idea of common problems. You can refer to the NSX Buyers Checklist in the Wiki for things to look for.

1. A/C system $$-$$$
  2. Clutch $$$
  3. TB/WP $$$
  4. Window regulators $ - $$
  5. Climate Control Units (BrianK repairs) $
  6. Stereo Amps (BrianK repairs) $
  7. Trunk & Hatch Struts $
  8. Door Latches $

Here is a prioritized list I used as my selection criteria:

1. Clean Title & No Accident History Verified with PPI and Carfax
  2. Not in Snap Ring Range Verify by transmission serial #
  3. Documented Service History with little or no deferred maintenence.
  4. No Paint work ... Rock Chips, Minor Dings and Scratches okay...part of reality
  5. Condition "A" or "B" as per the Wiki pricing guide
  6. Color
  7. Mileage
  8. Mods
  9. # of Owners
  10. Asking Price

Sometimes its hard to be patient and you get anxious everytime you look at a car, but stick with your list and you'll enjoy trouble free ownership.

I also requested a compression check as part of the PPI. Cost me a total of around $200.

Good Luck on your Search :smile:

I would say try to find one is snap ring condition and bargain down on the price. Use the difference to upgrade to NSX-r gearing and 4.23 R&P. Also while your in there have the syncro's changed and you'll have a brand new tranny... Just something to think about.

- David

Great list!

"Here is a prioritized list I used as my selection criteria:"

1 "Clean Title & No Accident History Verified with PPI and Carfax
2 Not in Snap Ring Range Verify by transmission serial #
3 Documented Service History with little or no deferred maintenance.
4 No Paint work ... Rock Chips, Minor Dings and Scratches okay...part of reality
5 Condition "A" or "B" as per the Wiki pricing guide
6 Color
7 Mileage
8 Mods
9 # of Owners
10 Asking Price"
================================

Very similar to my list of priorities.
"Here is more or less the prioritized list I used as my selection criteria:"

1 T-top or Coupe? (seems to be a large part of the decision, It was for me anyway)

2 "Clean Title & No Accident History Verified with PPI and Carfax

3 No Paint work ... Rock Chips,

4 Condition "A" or "B" as per the Wiki pricing guide (everything works) (price guide still spot on like it or not)

5 Mileage (collector car under 20k, ave 5k per yr, fwy commuter 100k+)

6 # of Owners (less is better, auction history = bad in my mind.)

7 Documented Service History with little or no deferred maintenance.

8 Color = personal pref. (Red, Silver, Black & Ivory, White were on my radar) Not a fan of blk int's.

9 Mods (Nitrous/FI & body kits, off my list)

10 Asking Price" (Had 86k to spend from sale of other car) Ended up with a 94 in the 30's with 57k mi. Killer deal looking back.

11 Not in Snap Ring Range Verify by transmission serial # (easy fix, but a few bucks 4 sure)

I would say try to find one is snap ring condition and bargain down on the price. Use the difference to upgrade to NSX-r gearing and 4.23 R&P. Also while your in there have the syncro's changed and you'll have a brand new tranny... Just something to think about.

- David

only problem with that is not all snap ring transmissions fail:tongue:

Most that would fail have failed in first 40k and most that do not fail after 90 if never at all.

It is important to note, however, that the problem does not exist on all transmissions in this range. The range simply identifies transmissions which may have the problem.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Marty,

I'm in the same position as you are. I'm currently doing research on NSX's. I have owned various cars including a Nissan Skyline GT-R, a couple of RX7TT's and I currently have a Porsche in my stable, along with an RX7 3 rotor race car I'm building. I DD a 5th generation prelude as a "mileage sponge". I love Honda's, having owned an integra GSR. I have always liked the look of NSX's and have always considered them to be an exotic. Now that I am in the position of being able to own one, I want to do some careful research. I have been combing this awesome forum and in the process, gaining useful insight. I know about the snap ring issues, the fan blower controller, window regulators, hatch shocks, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is that I want to absorb as much information as I can in order to make an informed purchase. This car won't be my DD, but more of a pleasure car. I want to keep the price under $35K. Thanks for posting the checklist in this thread! Also, Marty, there is a FAQ which addresses known issues and there is a wealth of information in there as well.

Last edited:
^^^ Welcome :smile: Another RX7 affectionado...BatMans will be delighted

Good Luck on your Search!!!

Thanks! Ive been into RX7's almost as long as I've been into Hondas. I'm former Air Force, and I lived in Japan for 3 years. Let me tell you, I only saw 1 or 2 nsx's. I had a Japanese buddy who had a 96 RX7TT, and one night he let me drive it one night while his friend in a (199?) NSX followed us. He kept right up in the twisties, so when we got a straight part in the road, I wanted to show this Honda guy what 1.3 liters and two small turbines could do! I gunned it at the top of 3rd, and all the way through 4th and partly through fifth. Speed was probably in the 100-115mph range. I pulled on him at first, probably because he wasn't expecting me to take off. After that though, I just barely walked him. This FD (rx7tt) had a power fc ecu, full exhaust, no cats, etc. The nsx was stock except for maybe an exhaust. Needless to say, I was impressed! Having owned a GT-R, I can say that they aren't the end all, be all to cars. They are fun, quick and powerful but lack the refinement found in most Hondas. I also got to ride in a modded civic type R with a 2.2L prelude engine, turbo'ed. I was skeptical before the ride. However, once we got past 2nd (and the wheel slip) the car was surprisingly fast. Sorry to get off topic on this post. I just want to add that I don't condone street racing. The area of Japan that I lived in was very rural. mostly backroads and rice fields. In the times that we would "play", there were never any cars around and it was done as safely as possible. That is all.

only problem with that is not all snap ring transmissions fail:tongue:

Most that would fail have failed in first 40k and most that do not fail after 90 if never at all.

It is important to note, however, that the problem does not exist on all transmissions in this range. The range simply identifies transmissions which may have the problem.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

It doesn't matter if it fails or not, a car in snap-ring range is a good bargaining chip to lower the price. :wink:

I been reading over these threads and its amazing how well the value of this car has been holding up even through tough times such as these... anyone else feel this way?

Guys - thanks for all of the comments.

One aspect that I cannot find through my searches on the site is the "split ring range." Can anyone expound?

Probably because it's SNAP ring range...:wink:

Back