• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Conversion of AC from R12 to R134

Most NSX's have been converted to R134 by now. I had mine done at the dealer- they have a kit.

Most NSX's have been converted to R134 by now. I had mine done at the dealer- they have a kit.

I had my first 92 converted long ago at the dealer. Cost was pretty cheap for dealer prices. I recall it was around $200 and change. My current 92 is still the original R12. It still blows ice cold on all but the hottest days when I leave my car out in the sun. When that happens it take about an extra 30 minutes to really cool down the interior. Once the interior gets cold it I turn the speed back down to low. If I keep this current NSX I'm going to have to get the conversion done soon as I know its just a matter of time before I get too low on freon. During those really hot days I can already tell the drivers side is not as cold as the passenger side, so that's a sign already.

Guys, i just bought a '96 nsx 2 months ago, and the a/c started getting a little warm, so i bought one of those 134a recharging cans that has the dual gauge on it... I tested it and it was low... So i pulled the trigger a few times to recharge it a little, and that seemed to help some...Now after reading some threads, it seems that you're not supposed to add 134a to an existing r12 system???Could i have done some damage to my system?

Guys, i just bought a '96 nsx 2 months ago, and the a/c started getting a little warm, so i bought one of those 134a recharging cans that has the dual gauge on it... I tested it and it was low... So i pulled the trigger a few times to recharge it a little, and that seemed to help some...Now after reading some threads, it seems that you're not supposed to add 134a to an existing r12 system???Could i have done some damage to my system?
You already have R-134a. All US cars since '93 have it. If you didn't you wouldn't have been able to hook up the can to the system. Hopefully you did not use a refrigerant that includes a sealant.

as for has anyone done this conversion I would say there is about 3000+ conversion threads on prime and since the search button doesnt work anymore for some reason we can let you slide.
I normally google it, but add NSXPRIME at the end of my searches it finds them that way

if you do it yourself it cost 59 bucks for the kits at Walmart or any autostore. take about 3 second to put the new retrofit tips on and your done. now filling it will be about 20 min with car on

when it start to blow cold on the passengerside your half done. when it starts to blow ice cold on the driverside your at FULL.

so total to retrofit your NSX is about 60 bucks or so.

as for has anyone done this conversion I would say there is about 3000+ conversion threads on prime and since the search button doesnt work anymore for some reason we can let you slide.
I normally google it, but add NSXPRIME at the end of my searches it finds them that way

if you do it yourself it cost 59 bucks for the kits at Walmart or any autostore. take about 3 second to put the new retrofit tips on and your done. now filling it will be about 20 min with car on

when it start to blow cold on the passengerside your half done. when it starts to blow ice cold on the driverside your at FULL.

so total to retrofit your NSX is about 60 bucks or so.

Serious!? It's that easy? But wait for a 91 like mine you would have to have the old R12 evacuated first right?.....that is if there is any left in the system or you don't mind contributing to the destruction of our atmosphere right?

Back