• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Convex mirror install

d.n

Experienced Member
Mirror Removal
Removed my mirrors tonight. One of the pieces is pretty fragile so be careful when you take yours apart.

Remove one philips screw here:

DSCN3146.jpg

The mirror will then come out, but is still attached by a white plastic ball socket about the size of a BB. This guy is pretty fragile and cannot be purchased as a replacement part without buying the glass, so be careful with it. The best way that I found to remove it was to keep the white piece attached to the mirror. Grab the white piece at it's base and pull straight out from there.

DSCN3149.jpg

Here's a pic showing the white piece and the "ball". After looking at this some more I think it's easier and safer to remove the white piece from the housing itself rather than trying to detatch the ball side from the mirror. There is also one plug to unplug to complete removal of the mirror glass.

91_mirror_guts.jpg

Reinstall

Okay, the mirrors are back and Jaima came by to help out with the install. I'll add the removal instructions here at some point.

The actual glass replacement was done by Jaima beforehand so I don't have any firsthand experience with that. He did say that the motor needs to be removed from the glass casing by pulling out the square piece and then pulling out the pin in the picture below.

DSCN3179.jpg

Then either boil or heat the casing and replace the glass in the same way that it's done for the S2000 (I'll find a link for this later when s2ki is back up). I've done this before on the S2000 and it was surprisingly simple. Bring water to nearly a boil (when small bubbles start to float to the top that's good enough), toss the whole mirror glass and black casing (without the motor!) into the water and it will eventually loosen up to the point where you can remove and replace the glass.

[edit] Here is that link

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Step 3. outlined in the above link from the s2k forums. If you boil, it doesn't need to be actually boiling and you dip for a short period of time. Less than a minute is probably enough.

As my disclaimer, I didn't do this part of the install myself on the NSX, but it worked fine on an S2k and should be the same here. Also don't put the motor in the water. Shouldn't have to say that though I think, but one never knows...

A note from Jaima *** Some people try to apply pressure to the new glass in the center. This is the weakest part of the glass since it's convex in shape so be aware of this when you push and press on the glass ***

Next replace the motor onto the casing. If you removed the "white" pivot like I said not to in a previous post, now is the time to re-install it. Using a heat gun is the way to go here. I also put some silicone grease on the ball end, but that's really unecessary I think, just don't try to force it back in without heat.

DSCN3181.jpg

Once it's back in, it should look like this

DSCN3182.jpg

Next go back to the car and loosely replace the lower mounting plate and screw that you removed during the uninstall. Just thread the screw in enough to where you know it won't fall out and orient the plate so that it will accept the mirror and clamp it in place when the screw is tightened (ie the same way it was before you removed it in the first place). Don't mind that the white part is installed in the mirror in the picture below, yours should not be (it should be installed on the glass casing as shown above)

DSCN3180.jpg

Now plug in the connector

DSCN3183.jpg

Now place the white part back into it's hole and shove that guy in. The best way to do this I found was to support the glass by it's edges at the casing and push on the casing. It doesn't need anywhere near as much force to re-install as it did to remove it

DSCN3185.jpg

With the hard part out of the way, tuck the top of the motor on the back of the casing under these ears circled below

DSCN3188.jpg

and the push the bottom of the glass into place. While holding it there, tighten the screw at the bottom. This will cinch up the plate that you oriented in a previous step and lock the glass in place

DSCN3189.jpg

That's it! It should look something like this:

DSCN3190.jpg

Here's a pic showing how the mirrors are made with the absolute maximum amount of curve that will still fit into the stock casing (difference between stock is between the two red lines).

DSCN3191.jpg

I haven't had a chance to drive around with these, but they are the same as what I have on my S2000. The first time you look in the mirror it will be slightly disorienting, but once you get used to it, goodbye blind spots! This also helps to see the curb on the passenger side too when parallel parking.

Last edited:
Great work but sorry, I've never understood convex mirrors. To me they are safety risk, not a safety feature. There are no blind spots if mirrors (note plural) are properly adjusted, a convex mirror makes it impossible to judge distance which is dangerous when assessing if a lane change is OK, and reversing becomes a nightmare.

I always replace convex with flat.

Last edited:
Well the factory passenger mirror is not flat either, so somebody out there thinks it's okay :smile:

I think it's good to be able to see the entire view from the side of the car to 2-3 lanes over on both sides. I guess the safety risk you mention is that the distance is distorted? Really I find it quite easy to judge the distance, but I'll admit, I am never trying to cut other cars really close. If I see something next to me, I won't change lanes. The mirrors help quite a bit with parking as well.

This is all just my opinion of course. I'm sure some others will jump in at some point or you can search the s2k forums for dozens of reviews there.

I hate to bump an old thread but I got in on the latest group buy of these mirrors and I am having installation problems. My car is a garage kept '02 so I wasn't really expecting to have problems getting the screw out (as in step 1) but I can't budge it at all! I've tried spraying it with WD-40 and Liquid Wrench but no dice :mad: I used quality screw drivers, too. Does anyone have any helpful tips to offer? Would it be possible to use a heat gun to remove the existing mirror while it is still in the housing, or is that too risky? How about installing the new mirror directly over the old (not a great option, I admit)?

I hate to bump an old thread but I got in on the latest group buy of these mirrors and I am having installation problems. My car is a garage kept '02 so I wasn't really expecting to have problems getting the screw out (as in step 1) but I can't budge it at all! I've tried spraying it with WD-40 and Liquid Wrench but no dice :mad: I used quality screw drivers, too. Does anyone have any helpful tips to offer? Would it be possible to use a heat gun to remove the existing mirror while it is still in the housing, or is that too risky? How about installing the new mirror directly over the old (not a great option, I admit)?

You can heat it up while its still on the car around the outside and work the old mirror out and put new in i had to do this. The only big issue is that it will also soften the paint on the housing and you can easily end up peeling and scratching it while doing it. I had to do this for the same reason.

You can heat it up while its still on the car around the outside and work the old mirror out and put new in i had to do this. The only big issue is that it will also soften the paint on the housing and you can easily end up peeling and scratching it while doing it. I had to do this for the same reason.

Yeah, the heat gun on the paint kind of scares me! I may see if I can come up with some kind of heat shield to protect it. I suppose I could just break out the old mirror but I would like to preserve it if possible.

Did you completely strip the screw? I almost did on one of mine, I just kept trying different bits til I got one that sat perfectly and it finally budged. I used a bit labeled "cr-v ph2". Hope that helps

Did you completely strip the screw? I almost did on one of mine, I just kept trying different bits til I got one that sat perfectly and it finally budged. I used a bit labeled "cr-v ph2". Hope that helps

No I haven't stripped the screw out - yet anyway. I've tried a variety of different screwdriver bit but nothing so far has the "bite" to break torque. I haven't given up though. I'm just taking a break to re-strategize.

No I haven't stripped the screw out - yet anyway. I've tried a variety of different screwdriver bit but nothing so far has the "bite" to break torque. I haven't given up though. I'm just taking a break to re-strategize.
They also make this stuff called "SCREW GRAB" i don't know what exactly it is made of or where to buy it but we have it at work and it has saved me a few times. Like a gritty liquid that helps it grip.

They also make this stuff called "SCREW GRAB" i don't know what exactly it is made of or where to buy it but we have it at work and it has saved me a few times. Like a gritty liquid that helps it grip.

Interesting sounding stuff! I just ordered a bottle for $9.95 so it's well worth trying. Thanks for the tip :)

Hi all,

As I've imported my NSX from USA to Europe... I'd like to convert my US left / driver flat mirror to european convex one ( driving with those flat mirrors is very disturbing !!! )
So I'm trying to find a driver convex glass ( part number is 76253-SL0-E01 ). By any chance, would anyone have one for sale ( used or new ) ???

In 2015 flexthatdx did a group by on a small run of blue convex mirrors. Perhaps he has some extras or can get another group buy going.

Back