• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant Bottle Line goes where?

I found this line just dangling down... Where does it go?

v718

Last edited:
Tuck it next to the mounting bracket, anywhere just so it drips on the ground. It's an overflow line. It is above the pressure release section of your radiator cap that is inside (or under) the polished fancy cap on your dali racing (looks like) so the coolent you are seeing is what gets past that valve. The line is there to direct overflow coolant harmlessly to the ground.

However, the tank is not like a normal coolant overflow tank that you see under the hood of most cars. It serves that purpose but it is also like the end tank on a radiator of a normal car in that it also provides a cooling system pressure release function.

There are several reasons why you might see coolant coming out of this overflow tube. (If its just a few drops it's probably nothing to worry about. But keep an eye on it.)

1. There may be too much coolant in the system. When the engine is cold the coolant level in the expansion tank should be just above the baffel that is about halfway down the tank. You shouldn't fill the tank to the top. If this is the issue, no harm will be done except you will waste expensive coolant. Also, keep pets away from any spilled coolant as it is sweet and also toxic.

2. The pressure cap on the tank may be defective. If this is the problem the fix is simple. You can get a new inner cap at NAPA or most other auto parts stores. If the cap is defective it will not maintain the proper pressure in the cooling system which may result in the coolant boiling off even under normal operating conditions.

3. The engine may be running hot causing the coolant pressure to rise to the point where it is bypassing the cap's pressure release valve.

If the problem is number 1, drain some coolant from the system. Make sure you collect and dispose of it properly. If it's something else, keep an eye on your coolant temp gauge.

My favorite is going to the track and running at high RPM for 20 min and having the rear of the car suddenly snap around for no fault of my own, only to find the temp was high and the overflow to the neat little factory drip line was falling on the gray cross member and dripping in front of the driver side tire...not an optimal situation.

So I did this: Jax Coolant Overflow Bottle

DSCF0008.JPG

If you are going to keep the factory overflow, get a longer hose and tie it so it drips to the ground in the center of the car. Just letting it hang will allow it to whip around and/or not drip to the ground.

I just replaced my hose with a longer one to extend passed the under carriage just in case it needs to overflow.

Back