• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant Temp Reading Almost Half

Just as the title states, I noticed my coolant temp reading just under half. Is this something to be concerned about? My other cars are usually at 1/4. I'm wondering if I should have the coolant and thermostat changed. I plan on taking it to vegas next weekend, and since it's currently 100+ degrees over there, i don't want to overheat somewhere in the desert.
BTW, my car has 78k miles.

Thanks,

Sounds about normal to me, some NSX 's I worked on were bang on the half mark, some 1mm below.

I would only be worried if the temp drops way below or rises way above lol

Just as the title states, I noticed my coolant temp reading just under half. Is this something to be concerned about? My other cars are usually at 1/4. I'm wondering if I should have the coolant and thermostat changed. I plan on taking it to vegas next weekend, and since it's currently 100+ degrees over there, i don't want to overheat somewhere in the desert.

Thanks,

Once warmed up, mine has been sitting at that mark for 10 years, including for some runs at triple digits. It was 104 here today, and it sat there again.

The only time it wasn't there was when the thermostat failed open and the car didn't warm up fully. A new thermostat fixed that, plus restored normal gas mileage.

Actually your question points out a weak spot in the NSX gauges. They are not calibrated, and that mid-scale mark covers a fairly wide temp range. My old Corvette has a digital readout and you can watch the temp cycle between about 190 and 210 F.

Your temp will remain at that location, after warm up, unless you have a thermostat fail. If it fails and the outside temp is cool it will stay on the low side and your cabin heater air temp will be cool. As the outside temp increases the water temp will increase. You are GOOD TO GO.
Brad

Thanks,

same with me just under 3 or 4 marks below Half. its normal.

you must be a new owner its ok if you are but Most honda run a little under half. at least all 7 Of my previous acuras/hondas.

Back