• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cops speed trap flashhigh beams

shawn110975

Suspended
guys read this story I always flash my highbeams to warn other oncoming cars that a speed trap is ahead of them. and its not against the LAW

Fighting for the right to flash

Driver sues after he gets $115 ticket for warning other drivers of a speed trap.

By Steve Bousquet

[email protected]

Erich Campbell thought he was just being helpful the night he flashed his headlights on the Veterans Expressway to warn drivers of a police speed trap ahead.

The Florida Highway Patrol didn't appreciate the help. Officers pulled Campbell over and gave him a $115 ticket. Flashing your lights is illegal, they said.

Claiming no such law exists, Campbell, 38, of Land O'Lakes, got angry. Now he wants to get even: He has filed a lawsuit on behalf of the estimated 2,400 other drivers in Florida ticketed for the same violation over the past six years, accusing police of misinterpreting state law.

'This is a pattern, and it has mostly to do with frustrated police officers who feel they were disrespected,' Campbell said. 'When someone comes along and rats them out, they take offense to it.' Capt. Mark Welch, a spokesman for the FHP, cited a law that says 'flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles' except for turn signals. Welch said he could not comment in detail because of the pending legal case.

Campbell and his attorney, J. Marc Jones of Oviedo, say police are misinterpreting a law that's meant to ban drivers from having strobe lights in their cars or official-looking blue police lights.

On Aug. 29, soon after Campbell sued the state, the Highway Patrol ordered troopers to stop issuing tickets to motorists who use headlights as a signal to other drivers. 'You are directed to suspend enforcement action for this type of driver behavior,' said the memo from Grady Garrick, acting deputy director of patrol operations.

Campbell, a student at St. Petersburg College's Tarpon Springs cam­pus, was driving his Toyota Tundra pickup on the Veterans Expressway in Tampa on a Monday night in December 2009 when he spotted two state trooper cruisers parked in the median. He flashed his headlights a few times to alert motorists headed in the opposite direction.

'Within 60 seconds, they had me pulled over,' Campbell said.

Hillsborough County Judge Raul Palomino dismissed the $115 ticket.

Campbell's lawsuit cites similar cases in Escambia, Osceola, Seminole and St. Lucie counties in which tickets for flashing were all dismissed by judges. 'In each of these examples,' the lawsuit claims, 'Florida courts properly found that (the law) does not prohibit the flashing of headlights as a means of communication,' which the suit calls 'a right of free speech.' It asks a circuit judge to certify the case as a class action on behalf of the other 2,400 motorists cited for headlight-flashing between 2005 and 2010. If the state loses, it could be forced to return a lot of money.

All of the defendants in the case report to either Gov. Rick Scott or Scott and the three-member Cabinet: highway safety chief Julie Jones; Col. David Brierton, chief of the highway patrol; and Ananth Prasad, secretary of the Department of Transportation.

Jones noted that a different section of law allows drivers to flash their headlights at night when they're passing another vehicle. 'Visible blinking of the headlamps,' is how the law puts it.

Asked about that apparent contradiction, the FHP's Welch said: 'This is something that's going to be dealt with in the litigation. It's not something I can comment on.' Jones said he has been besieged with calls from motorists after the case got a burst of attention on several TV stations, and it has attracted attention in out-of-the-way places, too.

In an editorial headlined 'Keep flashing legal,' the Panama City News Herald said: 'Campbell and other flashers actually encourage motorists to obey the law. Shouldn't that be FHP's only concern?' After Campbell got his ticket, he did some research online and discovered Alexis Cason, 22, of suburban Orlando, who received a similar ticket in 2005, hired the same lawyer (Jones) and won her case.

'For me, this has to do more with the principle than the cost,' Campbell said.

heres the link to the TBT article

http://tampabaytimes.fl.newsmemory.com/

I can just saY wow

I flash my lights too... I can honestly say not enough people do it!

and i was also saved a few times by the flashing lights

they said ALL of those tickets were dismissed. now what about time and money these people had to spend to fight the tickets. I mean some or most get lawyers if they get a ticket right? how much retainer's, fees, court costs could have been avoided if NONE of the tickets were issued?

they said ALL of those tickets were dismissed. now what about time and money these people had to spend to fight the tickets. I mean some or most get lawyers if they get a ticket right? how much retainer's, fees, court costs could have been avoided if NONE of the tickets were issued?

good point! I imagine the tally to most drivers would be in the neighborhood of 400-500 when averaged out.

would the state ( FHP ) have to fork that out of would each county pay what they issued?

Started to wonder if I was the only person that flashed to warn drivers of a speed trap, wondered if they even knew why I was flashing them. I have been pulled over for doing that, but cop couldn't write me a ticket.

It depends.

If I pass an officer in a speed trap and come upon a fellow motorist blatantly violating the speed limit, or if they're mildly speeding but yapping on their cell phone I won't flash.

However, if it looks to me like they're doing about the speed limit or not driving recklessly, then I'll flash my lights to warn them.

Dave

A 38 year old student???

koll88eu8dxq.gif

Last edited:
It depends.

If I pass an officer in a speed trap and come upon a fellow motorist blatantly violating the speed limit, or if they're mildly speeding but yapping on their cell phone I won't flash.

However, if it looks to me like they're doing about the speed limit or not driving recklessly, then I'll flash my lights to warn them.

Dave

Same here. Especially in areas around my own neighborhood. I'll warn a driver that is close to the limit or just over so the bored cop doesn't get him. But someone being an idiot and going way over will not get a warning from me.

I had a guy flash his lights at me during the middle of the day and i was thinking who is this guy and what the heck is his issue and wanted to give him the one finger salute.. I drove a bit and thought maybe he was warning me of something since cops are sometimes on this road about a mile up.. so i slowed down and there he was sitting and hiding trying to get speeders. I kinda felt bad after that.

It depends.

Ditto

I reside in MN and WI and we flash for cops and deer. However the issue of flashing has gone down it seems even though it is helpful obviously.

And here is my question....by flashing..people are slowing down...which is the intent. Oh wait,...money is. got it. :wink:

I flash and will keep flashing. I have been saved by others and I will pass the favor on. Tickets are mostly a money grab. Let the police look for bad guys and stop sitting in their cars waiting. Too many good people I know have had their days ruined and insurance costs increased by lazy cops shooting radar. The last cop gave me a ticket for doing 40mph in a 30mph zone, downhill, with one of those yellow reduced speed signs as my only warning. The cop even had the nerve to tell me he could give a ticket to every car coming through this section of road because they would all be going over 30mph. FLASH - FLASH - FLASH!

I agree that not everyone flashes or knows whats going on when I flash at them. Flash, flash, flash + radar detector = no ticket. I do it mostly in the highway when traveling across states.

I flash as well. Also, I use Trapster as an application to identify the active sites. I wished others would as well as I just got a speeding ticket, 1st one in8 years in OH. 66 in a 55. When I said that I was just driving with traffic (Labor Day traffic near Cleveland), he said that I was going the fastest. I was doing 66, the car to my right was doing 65 and the car which had dived into the right hand lane exposing me and cutting off the other lane was doing 64. I was the only car without a front plate which identified me immediately as out of state.:mad:

Sad to say, but it seems with more ethnic diversity in my region, the fewer people I see that do this as a courtesy. I remember in the 80's and 90's, EVERYONE did it. Now, not so much.

Slighty off topic, but deals with cop radars. I was on my way to work and I came up to where the street "T"s off with a light. I was waiting to turn left and the cop was on the shoulder with the gun pointed almost at me firing away his radar(I know, I have a radar detector in my DD) trying to catch speeders. That pisses me off. I know your doing your job but could you stop radiating me. I get enough of it on the flightline from work I don't need an extra dose of it from you. I flashed every motorist for about half a mile.

Slighty off topic, but deals with cop radars. I was on my way to work and I came up to where the street "T"s off with a light. I was waiting to turn left and the cop was on the shoulder with the gun pointed almost at me firing away his radar(I know, I have a radar detector in my DD) trying to catch speeders. That pisses me off. I know your doing your job but could you stop radiating me. I get enough of it on the flightline from work I don't need an extra dose of it from you. I flashed every motorist for about half a mile.

you're getting pounded with radiation 24/7. cell towers, cell phone, wifi, from your monitor and other electronics. even some automatic door openers work on the same frequency as police radar (hence false alarms when you drive by the supermarket). what's a little extra from the cop's radar?

I was saved a ticket by a fellow prime member during a palomar mountain run. We were on back roads and the guy behind me had a v1 and he flashed me when it lit up. I slowed down immediately and sure enough a cop was ahead with radar. Saved me :smile:

This happens all of the time is is yet another example of the police bending the rules to address the ego problems. Some officers, the juvenile minded ones, actually get offended when drivers warn other drivers and want to "show them" so they don't do it again. I say flash away- the purpose is to slow drivers down so they are in compliance with the law.

And yes, I was a cop for 25 years and I am saying this. I am proud to say that in 25 years I never worked radar (by choice) because I felt it was BS. I worked for my tickets when I rode motors for over 4 years.

It seems like a common practice around here. I always do it and I've been saved a few times. When I worked in the canyons at a few ski resorts it was standard practice, everybody does it. Not only for cops but fallen rocks, deer, accidents, etc... I guess it's trickled down to the valley from all the canyon drivers.

Back