• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Correct 16/17 Tire Size for 91?

I am a new owner of a 91. Tire sizes on car are 205/50/16 on front and 245/40/17 on the rear.

The TCS blinks making me think the tires are not the right size.

Need some help!!

The diameter variance between the 205/50 and the 215/45 is -1.88% (the 215 is smaller). I am not sure how sensitive the TCS is to diameter variations so this could be your issue. I also wonder if you have a wheel sensor beginning to fail or your VSS is going bad. Curious to know if your speedometer needle bounces around while driving. Automatic trans or 5 speed?

First thing I would do is pull the stored codes to see if you have one that points to the VSS. A link for the procedure is here:

https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Trouble_Codes

Here is a link to the wheel tech page in the Wiki to help with factory tire sizes:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Wheel-Tech-OEM

Last edited:
The first thing you should know is that the OEM wheels on a '91 are 15" front/16" rear and the ABS/TCS systems take this into account .. plus there's a slight lee-way. Many people with '91-93 like to run the '94-01 NSX wheels which are 16" front and 17" rear. The stock tire sizes that go with those 16/17 OEM wheels are 215/45ZR16 front and 245/40ZR17 rear. The 16/17 OEM wheels are 7" wide front and 8.5" wide on the rears.

So, if we assume your wheels are the same size as the 94/01 wheels, then as someone has said, your rears appear to be ok but the fronts may be the problem. In the NSX Wiki (which you can get to from the red action bar at the top of most pages) someone noted "The RATIO between front and rear should be within 5 percent of the STOCK RATIO. Based on the '91-93 OEM sizes, the ratio should be between 2.7 percent and 12.7 percent." .. ie. the OEM ratio between rear to front circumference is 1.077 but it should tolerate from 1.027 to 1.127. Using the tire size calculator on 1010tires, your wheels have a circumference of 75.62" while the 16/17 OEM sizes are 74.20" and 77.65" respectively .. which is a ratio of 1.0465 for OEM and 1.0268 for yours. Your ratio is just slightly below the low end of the tolerance range. So, it looks like you should try to get some new front tires .. but you don't seem that keen on your wheels so you may want to wait until you change those and make sure you get the right widths and offsets.

Back