• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Couldn't start this morning

LA has been rather cold lately... It was about 50 degree this morning but sunny. I decided to drive the car around and charge up my battery a bit. However, when I plugged in my key, nothing... nothing happen. I check everywhere, no lights, no clock, no nothing... The last time I drove the car was one week ago Saturday, and I didn't see the battery being low. Anyway, I pushed my car out of the garage, and proceeded to jump the car. At first, I connected to the RAV 4 without starting the engine. It gets the chime for opened door, but nothing when key is turned. Then, I started the engine on the RAV 4, get back into my car, I hear 1/4 of crank and nothing.. Tried again, same thing. I decided to wait for about a minute, and tried again. This time, crank a bit more. So, I added a little gas, and after a couple of tries, I got it going. I had to set my clock again, radio stations, etc. I just can't believe that it is that out of juice, especially I had just driven it a week ago. I then took the car to the 110 freeway, drove it to the 91, make a U off Avalon, and proceed to the gas station to get gas. The drive took about 20 to 25 minutes and about 15 miles. I was able to start the car after getting gas, and after another few miles of driving, I stopped by a restaurant to get some food for about 10 minutes. Again, I was able to start the car and drove home.

Sorry for the long story. My question is: Do I have a electrical leak somewhere or is it time for a battery change? Thanks in advance.

sorry you having trouble, but there could be many variable in regard to battery being drain.
: HOw old is your battery?
: is this the first time the car didn't start in a week time frame?
: did you leave any doors not close?

i had similar problem, if i left my car for about a week and not starting it would not turn over, at that time, the battery was about 3 years old, so by constantly running the battery low, its not good for the battery life, so the life is shorter, after replacing it, I never have any problem even leaving for as long as 2 week. So its possible that you might need new battery, or possible sometthing is draining it? this is were it gets tricky, possible the Amp? There is a recent thread that discuss the possible cause by using a volt meter and disconnecting the negative terminal and connecting the volt meter in between the negative terminal and battery terminal and start pulling fuse to pinpoint the draws.
good luck, and hopefully its just an old battery and needs to be replace like mine.

judging from your sig u have a 94. when was the last time you change out the battery? if never then its time for a new one. I think I'm still on the stock battery, my is a 93. I put it on a trickle charger when im not driving it during winter months..starts every time..

I had a very similar problem just a few months ago. I jumped it and drove it for a while and, interestingly, it's been ever since. I even took it to a battery place to test it and tested fine on a load tester.

I have a brand new battery on mine and it still goes flat if I don't drive the car for more than 10 days.Unfortunately I can't use a trickle charge as there is no power supply in the garage.
I just take the jump leads with me and expect to use them.

You want to measure the parasitic draw on the battery when it is resting. Mine is 37ma. If you don't have a meter I am sure there is a local member that could help out. These cars are power hogs compared to most other cars. The other problem that has now been introduced was jumping the car and letting the 110 amp alternator do the charging of the battery. The alternator sensed a low battery on startup and went to a high charge rate. That can/will overcharge the battery and cook the poor thing. Batteries don't like to be recharged that way.

You would be much happier if you measured the parasitic draw on the battery and made sure there was no excessive drain. If that turns out acceptable a Battery Tender would be a good investment.

Dave

Check for a parasitic draw and if it is more than 64mA, then start checking circuits by pulling fuses to see what area the drain is related too. There are
a lot of possibilities but then again, it could be a simple battery.

Thanks,
Josh

Back