• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

CTSC help or hurt resale

Would a dealer installed low boost CTSC help or hurt resale value? Or neither. Does it limit the number of buyers?

I know there probably many variables...just in general.

I guess it can help but for only certain buyers. The dealer would lose all those people looking for a clean stock NSX. Which seems to be a good amount of people at the time. The dealer would also lose money because they would never get that money back it costs to buy the supercharger and install it. Seems like a weird question to me. Are you a dealer or something?

As with any mods, don't count on getting your money back. However, with that said, I think a dealer installed CTSC is probably better for residual value than most aftermarket mods, as it is one of the few go fast (and pricey!) options that Acura dealers were authorized to install on new NSXs, and the boost level is pretty mild so there is minimal impact to reliability.

Would a dealer installed low boost CTSC help or hurt resale value? Or neither. Does it limit the number of buyers?

I know there probably many variables...just in general.

It limits your market. I would pay more for one with a SC especially the CTSC. But dont expect to get $10k more because thats what you spent.

Unless you find someone that prefers the car the way you built it and modified it. Generally the more mods you buy, the more you will loose when it comes time to sell it, and the less potential buyers you will have. Its always cheeper to buy a built car then build one yourself. But you need to do your homework on whatever you choose.

I guess it can help but for only certain buyers. The dealer would lose all those people looking for a clean stock NSX. Which seems to be a good amount of people at the time. The dealer would also lose money because they would never get that money back it costs to buy the supercharger and install it. Seems like a weird question to me. Are you a dealer or something?

No I am not a dealer..I am looking to buy an NSX and have my eye on one with a SC.

I like the idea of the HP...but don't want to make a 40k investment in something that will loose value or be hard to resell in the future within reason of course. That being said I know with any purchase a big amount of the return on my investment will be the enjoyment it brings.

I should have put that in my first post.

Usually NSXs with CTSC's have other modifications as well (wheels, suspension, headers, exhaust, interior bits, exterior bits). Those "other" modifications are usually the ones that bring down the value since those are due to personal taste.

It's rare to find a dealer installed CTSC, I believe only about 20-30 were installed at the dealer at the time of purchase. The CTSC is low boost so it should be very reliable with no excessive wear on the engine. Stock clutch and tires will have more wear but thats to be expected. Acura retained the full warranty with the supercharger installed. Assuming nothing else was done to the car I think it would help the resale of the car. At worse it would be priced as if their were no supercharger.

Last edited:
Alot of prospective buyers are looking for a stock/clean NSX's. However, once those buyers do a bit of research on the CTSC I'm sure they'll consider it a plus to have it. ALOT of members here started off with a stock NSX and eventually add a CTSC.

Interesting responses/feedback. I guess it really depends on the buyer and the negotiation strategy.

The "clean" as in only OEM will attract a certain demographic/income level buyers. Those who were initially new owners of the NSX either have moved on into more exotics, resigned from exotics, or have pretty much modded it to what they like and it is now a keeper.

I agree with Coconut, the other modifications are often what may cause the perceived value of the SC to go down - and buyers use such mods as an excuse to haggle the price down. Proof, the seller can take the parts off, and the SC is still in high demand fetching over $7K for a used Autorotor, and come ahead by selling to the "said ready and willing buyer cash in hand" in OEM condition.

And a SC without some of the other mods makes no sense unless it is all about bragging rights to who can burn the clutch quicker in a straight line trap speeds.

YMMV.

You have some interesting claims in this post two in particular are of interest to me. I'm not trying to confront you but I'd love to know where you got this information. I'd really like to know because they are good facts for me IF i can verify them.

It's rare to find a dealer installed CTSC, I believe only about 20-30 were installed at the dealer at the time of purchase.

How did you come up with and where did you get that number?

Acura retained the full warranty with the supercharger installed.

This is something I've heard mentioned by many but I've never found any documentation from Acura/Honda itself. It might have been the selling dealer who would warranty them to the original owner but did Acura/Honda do this as well?

Please show me some hard info on this. TIA

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124669

See post #1 and 6. I'd imagine Shad (Driving Ambitions) and Nate (CT Engineering) could give you the most accurate info on this subject.

I can't say for sure Acura/Honda (corporate) provided full warranty, but I've heard they have.

Well that's what I'm asking, where did you hear this?
I read your link and that doesn't answer the question. I know Comptech Accessories were offered and installed by some dealers but I have never seen where these were actually offered by Acura in their brochures or option list as dealer installed Genuine Acura Accessories or Options. Some new car manufacturers have done this. Chevrolet for example did offer A Calloway option and it came with a warranty from Chevrolet. Calloway did the service for the warranty but nonetheless it actually was included in the Chevrolet Catalog as a option(s).
I was hoping you really knew that did Acura have a policy that if their franchised dealer installed a Comptech SC on a car that they still warranted the motor and not just saying they did.

As far as what I have read in my owners manual in the warranty section it makes no such provision. Does anyone have any Acura documentation for this you can show and share?
I have a CTSC and nowhere in the manual does it say anything about it having a OEM endorsement and that it's installation did not effect the OEM warranty.

This is important because if what you claimed in your prior post was accurate and true it would give the CTSC a OEM endorsement and that would help resale.

Last edited:
Just about any mod to any car will usually decrease its value. A CTSC on an NSX is an exception. From casual study of the NSXs for sale on the Prime forum over the last 3 years or so, I'd guess an SC adds $6-8k to the value. A dealer installed one might be worth more.

I am a Honda motorcycle dealer...so I have experience with the company. My estimation is Honda did not endorse the installation of the CTSC...but in fact knew it was happening and was wiiling to turn a blind eye to a warranty claim if it arouse. They are a very conservative company....but knowing the market for the NSX and the benefit of having a SC availible without any true liabilty..they just let it happen. We have the same thing going on with Honda Goldwings with a Trike conversion.

Dealers probably marketed it as an Acura endorsed mod knowing they could still provide a somewhat limited warranty...hence it became known as an Acura endorsed add-on.

Just my prospective....all is assumed.

Just wanted to add.. as someone who just sold a vehicle to a dealership, after visiting a handful of other dealerships for the best price... they all stated aftermarket mods can if not will hurt its value (as it did mine, even just bolt ons).

To stay safe, keep stock parts as it applies.

Last edited:
No I am not a dealer..I am looking to buy an NSX and have my eye on one with a SC.

I like the idea of the HP...but don't want to make a 40k investment in something that will loose value or be hard to resell in the future within reason of course. That being said I know with any purchase a big amount of the return on my investment will be the enjoyment it brings.

I should have put that in my first post.

If you are buying the SCer used I am not sure how you can loose money. If you were buying the SCer new at $11k it would be a terrible "investment". As it stands it is baked into the 40k, not sure how you could get hurt with the purchase. NSX values go up and down each year so a 2-3k swing is to be expected depending on the economy.

Back