• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom $1500.00 steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in touch with the company below they make some nice looking CF parts. They are around 900.00USD for the above wheel. However after looking at there site they can do just about anything with the stock wheel.
Of coarse most important to some off us is retaining the air bag.

http://www.robson-design.com/index.htm

ao19632152001.jpg

I'm thinking of doing something like this but wrapped in all alcantara, extra thick and flat bottom. Or maybe the flat bottom portion will be matte carbon fiber, like this R8's below. I'm trying to visualize if this would look good or not.

R8GT-matte-carbon_09.jpg

An honest question, and I'm not trying to passive agressively flaunt an opinion or seek flames or trolls: what is the attraction to wood/CF hard steeering wheels besides style? Does it give better feedback in race conditions when wearing gloves? I've found them only to be uncomfortable to grip or rest your hands on, and they're painful when bumped or used after the car's been soaking in the sun or freezing temperatures. Like seats, you'd think something in regular contact with soft tissue would be designed to be comfortable to the touch.

If style is the only driver then great, we all have our preferences. If race feedback is a driver, then I'd still wonder why put them in soft luxury cars.

Thanks ahead of time for answering something I've honestly wondered about for years.

Well technically, if you're holding the steering wheel correctly, you won't have your hands on the harder area and only at 9 and 3, right?

Ha ha, technically yes, which is along the same lines of how I wondered if there was some racetrack-inspired reason for these type of wheels, like removing the airbag for weight. In the real world I like to rest my hands in various positions on the steering wheel over long trips, sometimes even using my knees to steady the wheel, and I'm turning and touching the entire wheel when parking. In all of those real world situations, a wood/CF steering wheel does not feel nice to the touch, especially when maneuvering out of a parking spot on a very hot or cold day.

If it's just a style thing, I completely respect it and I'm not trying to derail the thread - some of the wheels shown here look really cool!! I've just always been curious if there was a functional reason for it and if so was it weight savings and/or tactile feel.

Last edited:
ao19632152001.jpg

I'm thinking of doing something like this but wrapped in all alcantara, extra thick and flat bottom. Or maybe the flat bottom portion will be matte carbon fiber, like this R8's below. I'm trying to visualize if this would look good or not.

R8GT-matte-carbon_09.jpg

Did mine in alcantara myself. DIY quality but it is possible. Did consider flat bottom but decided against it due to lack of time and skill (requires some welding). CF was never an option because I don't like the hard surface and if polished it could potentially be slippery if not wearing gloves but it looks good though :smile: Thickness is easily varied by adding more foam layers. The shape can thereafter be shaped by cutting out portions of the foam layers, if one should want to depart from the OEM design.

//Johan

Last edited:
Here's the results of a 40 day build from Japan. Made to order for a customer. Some options available are silk screened horn logos on horn buttons, colored stitching and full leather/alcantara instead of carbon. The quality and finish is OEM if not better. Only high quality Toray carbon fiber is used. Nothing less. Donor wheel will be needed.

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

Last edited:
I must own this. Period. I think I would like this identical wheel except I think I would keep the stock horn buttons. I feel the carbon horn buttons is reaching for something which I don't think is needed for this level of excellence. To each his own of course.

I am hoping it will be merry Xmas to me...

That wheel is stunning! I'll take one :)

I think having a nice thick wheel would make driving the NSX that much more enjoyable. Right now whenever I move from my other cars, the NSX feels so anemic!

Love it. I'm a firm believer in upgrading the things that your body touches.

I've been curious for a while now about the cost for an all-leather option w/o CF. I have no issues with the current/base NSX steering wheel - I kind of like how basic it is - but I remember from my '06 BMW 330, the fatter leather steering wheel felt kinda real good!

Separately, can anyone explain to me the benefits of wood/CF ring portion of any steering wheel? Is it functional, such as for better feedback when racing, or more just a style preference? PLEASE do via PM if possible so as not to derail this thread at all - I don't mean to disrespect or derail the thread! I've just always wanted to know. If it's just a style thing, then that's cool. Thanks!

>

Dang I just realized I asked this last year in this very thread. I really am curious if there's a functional reason for it. Seeing wood/hard steering wheels in Jaguars and $100k+ luxury cars always kinda made me wonder since they're not very nice to the touch.

Last edited:
Since I don't "know" I won't PM Yinzer but I can speculate. I imagine the carbon fiber is largely for looks. There is an outside chance it is for weight although I doubt it. The only other advantage I could see is potentially for racing (or drifting) is could provide more direct wheel feedback. One also usually races with gloves.

I believe the flat bottom is for egress in and out. Some new car have a flat top and bottom. I personally think a round wheel makes the most sense if your car requires more than one turn lock to lock to drive because your hands know where the wheel is at all times. The flat spots provide an inconsistency point IMO (Note: I am no racer aside from trying it drift in a wet parking lot and nearly crashing into a curb).

...I will buy this wheel so my car can measure it's winky against other cars proudly...

Sexy!!! I guess it would look bad if you did the hand grips in alcantara since the airbag would still be plastic? Also can the top of the wheel get the directional line (not really sure what the technical term for it is) like porsches, lambos, and ferrari?

the flat bottom wheels are paying homage to racing car wheels where the flat bottom frees up leg room for the oft cramped quarters....and yes if left in direct sunlight on hot days the carbon will be uncomfortable.

Small horn buttons are a nice touch. Closeups show the excellent craftsmanship. No one mention cost but I'm betting a 2nd mortgage on the house will be in order. But totally worth it.:wink:

I upgraded my steering wheel in my Prius from a normal plastic one to leather and piano black wood grain.. Driving this car more than 150 miles per day.. I have to say that the smoothness on the top of the wheel is nice to the touch.. I live in south Florida and never had any issues with the wheels being so hot. I feel those that say the carbon might be too slippery should probably say only for track use because daily driving my car I have not had any issues.. In fact I love the smoothness in the wheel!!

- - - Updated - - -

So I would love to have this wheel in my Nsx!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back