• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom ECU needed

I'd like to bump my rev limiter up to 8500. And, if possible, optimize ECU settings for my supercharger (I know Comptech says the stock ECU is optimized, but there MUST be room for improvement). Does anyone burn custom ECU's for the NSX?

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

'98 Viper GTS. Red with no stripes. Stock.

(I know Comptech says the stock ECU is optimized, but there MUST be room for improvement).

Do you say this based on specific knowledge about the technical mapping algorithms, or is this simply your opinion?

Why bump the rev limiter up to 8500? It wont do anything. The Torque starts to drop off after 7100 rpm's. and you're Oil pump wont like the extra RPM's. Before you do that get the High velocity oil pump and gears.
And Comptech sells an IEM kit that would probably help beforehand too. Not having the Correct type of valve springs will only induce valve float at High Rpm's. There IS a reason why Honda limited it to 8200rpm's or so.

You could also throw a Haltec E6K on there to control the fuel and timming. That way, you can put it on a dyno and tune it precisely.

By the way, if you upgrade the oil pump and gears to take the higher rpms, you can tune the motor to make increasing power all the way to redline.

The reason I ask is that my car currently redlines at 7800. Comptech dyno'd it, and at 7800 RPM it was making 315 rwhp and climbing steeply.

I thought that by raising the limiter beyond stock I could pick up some extra hp (a common trick in 302's and 350's), but I guess that's not the case.

Comptech suggested that I try another stock ECU from a '91. If anyone out there has one, I can trade you a DINAN NSX ECU for it.

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

I'll bring the Dinan to the track event...

------------------

Originally posted by multisync23:
The reason I ask is that my car currently redlines at 7800. Comptech dyno'd it, and at 7800 RPM it was making 315 rwhp and climbing steeply.

There is clearly still something wrong with your car. I would try swapping for a stock ECU and re-dynoing first to troubleshoot it, but you should not be looking to get a custom chip with a higher redline until you determine for sure the cause of the problem with the car.

I would contact Mark Basch about your Comptech Supercharger. He has installed many of them and can extract the maximum performance out of the Supercharger. Mark has a Comptech Supercharger in his own car. His phone number is (602) 244-8010.

For the cost of the Mugen ECU, you could install a programmable system.

...or buy six sets of rear OEM tires.

I'll try a differnet stock ECU. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll be contacting Mark.

I'm a little disappointed that Comptech didn't look into the problem when it was discovered on their dyno. The tech suggested I try a different stock ECU, then kind of avoided the subject.

------------------

For the cost of the Mugen you could buy a programmable... But then I would need to know how to program it... There must be a reason Honda uses Mugen parts in some of its racing... FYI the Mugen exhaust is 4K+ OUCH!

Back