• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho
  • ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Custom Sub Encloser Revised

See now post:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51531
Done with the box.
All fiberglass, except for the spacer to flush out a speaker cover, not shown. ALSO with my box, the carpet stays under it, is not cut off!!!!

Very solid, and light. Space in water measurement is .68 cu.ft. Looking for any takers? It is designed for the JL 10W1, one of the best subs you can get!

I got some feed back on the box and the construction.
So, I am giving a better detailed description of the process to get to the final result. :wink:

First I removed all the factory brackets. Moved a wire harness out of the way, no problem. Lined the interior area all the way back to follow the complete contour of the car.

Second. I lined the area with a very thin flexible plastic to allow for a spacing for the mold material. Lined and taped up the entire area with sheet plastic to allow for a seperating medium.

Then filled the cavity with expanding foam to get every contour of the car. Which was a great idea, in theory, but in reality... The foam did not cure in the back and center of the mold. I removed my half cured foam. Let it loose its shape, then kept filling in the voids.

Followed up with 7 lbs. of Rock Hard Water Putty to get all the shape. Shapped and fit the putty to get a great fit to the cavity. Used the final foam/putty mold to creat a 2 piece fiberglass mold. Used that to creat a plaster mold that was solid, and kinda heavy. Covered the inside of the car with plactic again. Then added to the plaster mold to fit the car better. After all that was done, I covered the FINAL MOLD in a seperating medium, and laid the fiberglass. :rolleyes:

The face of the unit I did not want MDF. To thick in the area, loose too much floor space. I went with a special reinforced fiberglass. The company recommended 2 layers. I went with 4!! It is very strong. I laid that up on a piece of flat stock covered in plastic (giving it the "cardboard look"). Cut it to match the shape of the box. Epoxied it to the enclosure. After WAY WAY WAY to many hours of labor. It is done!! Any one else want to try it, be my guest! :biggrin: :biggrin:

The cost for the encloser is $350.00+ shipping.

Attachments

• 105-0576_IMG.JPG
    105-0576_IMG.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 477
  • 105-0575_IMG.JPG
    105-0575_IMG.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Re: Custom Sub Encloser

That hole is for a 10", but an 8" can also work.

No it is not cardboard! That is the impression made by the plastic barier when the glassing was done! :cool:

The space looks to be the same taken up by other boxes I have seen. Look at it in relation to the vent on the left.

I was joking about the cardboard comment, the wrinkles it took on made it kind of resemble cardboard. :tongue:

You're in OC right? Maybe we can meet up sometime and give the box a run in my car. I have a JL 10W3V2 which would feel very at home in that box. It moves so much air that if that box can survive the JL, it will hold up to almost anything.

You should put a price tag on this box provide a trim ring to mount a subwoofer. I wouldn't mind spending a few hours taking my current box out and giving your box a run.

Lemme know, I'm in the market for a sub box right now.

It was built around using the JL 10W1. That is a low profile sub that experts think is the best subs on the market.

Let me know, we'll hook-up!!

im interested im lookin for a sub box... how much?b

I can get the enclosure set up ready to go with the JL 10W1, if anyone wants. That is one of the best subs you can get. Also, notice you do not have to cut out the carpet with this enclosure. Will post pic when done with sub and cover!(sub is on backorder :frown: )

I am working on price with sub and availability.

zetoolman said:
I can get the enclosure set up ready to go with the JL 10W1, if anyone wants. That is one of the best subs you can get.
Just an fyi - the JL 10W1 is a discontinued item, so "backorder" doesn't really apply; but your vendor may be trying to find some outstanding stock somewhere.

D'Ecosse said:
Just an fyi - the JL 10W1 is a discontinued item, so "backorder" doesn't really apply; but your vendor may be trying to find some outstanding stock somewhere.

Excuse me! I missed saying JL 10W1 v2. Lets not get so technical :cool:

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/W1v205.html

JL Audio releases all-new W1v2 Subwoofer Drivers

Miramar, FL—January 2005—JL Audio announced that it has begun shipping the eagerly anticipated W1v2 subwoofer drivers to authorized dealers throughout the U.S.A. and Canada. The new lineup consists of 10-inch, 12-inch and 13.5-inch models, all optimized for operation in compact sealed and ported enclosures.

Last edited:
Sorry - I wasn't getting picky - no sarcasm intended or required in return - unaware that there was a replacement - it's not in their current line-up on their web-site.
Was trying to be helpful but see you are already way ahead of JL's web-site on the product info.

Just as a sidenote, the original 10W1 was a pretty awesome subwoofer. It dominated IASCA for quite some time, especially in the low power classes. Other than the lower power handling and larger box requirements, it was just as good as the W6 series in terms of SQ. The W6 also had a tad more output. The new W1 is cool because it is a low profile subwoofer measuring at 4.34" depth and a small magnet. Don't let the low series number fool you, it is a very good subwoofer. Here is the LINK to the new W1V2 subs.

FYI, zetoolman and I will be meeting this weekend. We are going to test fit his box into my 95 and hopefully he might have something ready for me. I am going to use my 10W3V2D4 because of the power handling and the insane excursion. :biggrin:

So far I know he's put a tremendous amount of effort into creating a tight fitting high quality box. We'll see how things work out. Lookout for a review...

Last edited:
D'Ecosse said:
Sorry - I wasn't getting picky - no sarcasm intended or required in return - unaware that there was a replacement - it's not in their current line-up on their web-site.
Was trying to be helpful but see you are already way ahead of JL's web-site on the product info.

The info I posted IS from JL's web-site!? :confused:

mackash said:
Zetoolman-
Is this a box you plan on mass producing or just a one time deal?

I made all the molds to be able to duplicate it. It is time consuming though.

Will fill orders as I get them.

Can also make door panel adapters.

Back