• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DAL Motorsports Enters One Lap of America

Yeah Rob...

I would like to see them lift the support crap ban so nobody can use that as an excuse for not finishing higher...

Since SVRA is involved in these events...they should make it professional and require a $1,500 deposit to review complaints against another driver/team.

Bitching is free as it is currently..

JY

P.S. He posted the Chin display pic on OLOA site...should be some funny responses coming soon...

Brian Bailey said:
I'm most definitely not implying they were breaking any rules... others likely did as well. But I was always taught, just because someone else is breaking the rules, doesn't make it alright for you to break the rules.

Nice :confused:

Directly from the One Lap website:

What do I do in case a tire fails during the event?
If a tire fails during the event, a team must inform One Lap officials of the change and provide verifiable justification for the replacement. Failures due to too much negative camber, for example, are not considered reasons for replacement. Any teams found changing tires without proper notification and reason will be disqualified. If a change is necessary, it is strongly suggested that the failed tire be retained until an official can see it.

and...

Tires: Entered vehicles will run on mass-produced, readily available DOT-approved tires with highway-legal (2/32 of an inch) tread depth (no shaving permitted). The same set of tires will be used throughout the event unless changes are deemed necessary for safety reasons by the organizers.

and...

No Support vehicles of any kind will be allowed to accompany any entered vehicle.

RacerX-21 said:

Hey Rob, my post wasn't directed at you at all. It was directed at the bonehead that said something to the effect "well everyone else was doing it so that makes it alright".

Which I most certainly disagree with.

KU Ned said:
Directly from the One Lap website:

What do I do in case a tire fails during the event?
If a tire fails during the event, a team must inform One Lap officials of the change and provide verifiable justification for the replacement. Failures due to too much negative camber, for example, are not considered reasons for replacement. Any teams found changing tires without proper notification and reason will be disqualified. If a change is necessary, it is strongly suggested that the failed tire be retained until an official can see it.

Earth to Ku... your allowed 6 tires, and the cars only use 4 at one time. (Do you understand my point?) And I still called Brock as described in my previous post.
and...

Tires: Entered vehicles will run on mass-produced, readily available DOT-approved tires with highway-legal (2/32 of an inch) tread depth (no shaving permitted). The same set of tires will be used throughout the event unless changes are deemed necessary for safety reasons by the organizers.

No relevance :confused:
and...

No Support vehicles of any kind will be allowed to accompany any entered vehicle.

“the white M3 that stopped to help when the NSX broke down… My team mate and I stopped on the highway to help the broken down car”.

I better call Brocker to disqualify my BMW support team…(no difference) :eek:

RacerX-21 said:
“the white M3 that stopped to help when the NSX broke down… My team mate and I stopped on the highway to help the broken down car”.

I better call Brocker to disqualify my BMW support team…(no difference) :eek:

No we stopped due to being good sports and genuinely concerned about another One Lapper in accordance with the spirit of One Lap and all but a few NSX driving participants.

You guys were refered to by many others than the "BMW Crowd" as the NSX Pukes. You have earned the name through you arrogance and bullsh!t responses when Brock confronted you.

You guys were so arrogant that when we arrived in Beaver Falls one of you denied following us for most of the trip! It was unreal. We arrived very late after taking an alternate route through Pittsburgh rather than Cleveland. One of the NSX's followed along with our group of three BMW's for over 100 miles. We thought it was great. When the NSX arrived at the hotel and parked next to us as we were unloading I asked if they dropped off due to needing fuel. The passenger only said, "We never followed you" and turned around to unload. I guess the fact that the van was also seen along the route probably had something to do with the denial.

Last edited:
KU Ned said:
No we stopped due to being good sports and genuinely concerned about another One Lapper in accordance with the spirit of One Lap and all but a few NSX driving participants.

No I think I heard someone say that you were our support team… why should anyone take your word for it?

You guys were refered to by many others than the "BMW Crowd" as the NSX Pukes. You have earned the name through you arrogance and bullsh!t responses when Brock confronted you.

Maybe, but its people like you that rally for this reaction. You personally are one of the instigators… what ever group your associated with.

You guys were so arrogant that when we arrived in Beaver Falls one of you denied following us for most of the trip! It was unreal. We arrived very late after taking an alternate route. One of the NSX's followed along with our group of three BMW's for over 100 miles. We though it was great. When the NSX arrived and we asked if they dropped off due to needing fuel the guy only said, "We never followed you" and turned around to unload. I guess the fact that the van was also seen along the route (the route through Pittsburgh rather than Cleveland) probably had something to do with the denial.

You have an imagination that’s not worth debating with. I was the driver behind you, and yes that was cool to stick together. You never talked to me about the route... Please don’t make things up, this is how this all got started… You managed to turn a friendly acquaintance into a person who thinks you’re irrational. Silence would positively make you a better person.

You will excuse me if I let other peoples intelligence draw their own conclusions.
Something I was taught: Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference

RacerX-21 said:
Maybe, but its people like you that rally for this reaction. You personally are one of the instigators… what ever group your associated with.

I did not instigate anything during the week of One Lap. I heard a lot of talk about you and thought it was kind of funny in a sad way. I jumped on this discussion after seeing your counterpart bash the BMW Crowd.

RacerX-21 said:
You never talked to me about the route...
I spoke to the passenger in the car that arrived just after us at the hotel. You guys got such a bad reputation because you did not speak to anyone until the last day. We thought that because you had been busted at Nelson and no longer had anything to hide that you finally started talking to the rest of us. My team mate and I both liked talking to you at that point. The difference between you and the other front runners was that they were friendly and spoke to everyone. I had met Brian Smith twice before this year. Once at Starfest in 2002 and last year when One Lap passed through Heartland Park Topeka. He was the first person to greet us when we arrived at the Tire Rack for registration. He was always willing to provide advice and talk. Other front runners such as DeVia and his team mate were just the same. Everyone associated with the NSXs would not talk to anyone.

We really enjoyed watching your cars on track. I can not believe that the walls were avoided at Roebling Road!

I am sorry that this thread became nasty. I made great friends last week that I will keep in touch with for a long time. It is truly unfortunate that you did not experience ther true greatness of One Lap, the people.

Hi Nsx'rs,

Sorry about my cousins recent post (KU Ned).

After years of treatment/confinement and keeping sharp objects away from him, we thought we could trust him with a computer as it has minimal sharp edges.

You know what happens when cousins marry and all...

At any rate..no hard feelings...

Feel free to visit us at www.kcbmwclub.org

Everyone knows us there...we are the best car washers the dealership has ever had! :cool:

Regards,

Ned, Ned and my other cousin Ned

KU neRd

KU Ned said:
I am sorry that this thread became nasty. I made great friends last week that I will keep in touch with for a long time. It is truly unfortunate that you did not experience ther true greatness of One Lap, the people.

I did nothing but talk to people on the first day, were all car enthusiasts and many are friends from previous events. I talked to the GT40 owner (Cant say I wanted to meet the pompous driver), I talked to the SRT 300 drivers, I talked to Collin in the SRT4, I tried to talk to the Pirelli girls but they saw me coming :smile: , I talked to Howard the 12 year veteran, I talked to the Maserati couple, I talked to Luke in the WRX, I talked to the driver and his helper in the radical, I asked the winning Porsche team for a reminder on shock rotation, I talked to Ron in the blue truck, and many others. That’s a large part of why competition appeals to me and is my family’s way of life. Following the first day I was buried in work with car problems. I even gave up some of my scheduled track events. Read my review, it touched on many of the problems we encountered at each event. If you knew me, you would know that I am very approachable, and tend to help my competition even in more serious events. I drew pointers for people at both Roebling and VIR where I teach.

I’m quite the opposite of what you describe and am constantly questioned why I give away what I worked hard to build… I like to share, I know it takes more then ingredients to win, I don’t stop working just because I’m winning, and my direct competition often has too much pride to ask for help. I look at people like you describe and figure they have security issues.

Unfortunately someone’s pride led them to try and earn points off the track at the expense of others… if anything, towards the end I had more time because I fixed most of the problems and developed a routine for the ones I couldn’t permanently fix. Most of that free time was spent defending and correcting someone’s un-challenged accusations. By Un-challenged I’m referring to the common practice in most competition of posting $$$money to protest, this weeds out the people who accuse without merit to change the outcome of the results, and this privilege is usually limited to the competitors not the competitors mother or friends. It’s not a coincidence that the accusers were competing in points with one of the NSX’s. There were plenty of other similar scenarios in the paddock for you to target.

I’m sorry too, but people need to stop pointing fingers and learn some self-accountability. This person or group is too weak to look within when losing. Misery loves company and will solicit people to join in. Maybe the entrant should stick to modeling cars until they can handle competition.

Wow... what a couple days off of NSXPrime Formus will turn up.
I was just about to post my "Final Thoughts" figuring probably no one gives a shit... But there is life in this there thread. :biggrin:
Unfortunately I am disappointed that there is this much hostility on this thread which really is the EXP4/DAL Motorsports NSX thread. While it's easy to lump the NSXs together, looking at the results we clearly did not benefit from any alleged cheating. If we did... we really suck at cheating. Anyone offer a class on this?

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but some points that are focused in this thread are whacked.
1) Van - As mentioned was approved by Brock Jr as a film crew and friends vehicle. Why a van and not some POS econobox rent car?? Read my threads, we kinda expected one or both NSXs to retire as both cars were put together quickly and were not tested... we decided if we were 3K mi away from home, we could easily rent a trailer locally and trailer it home(hey, it almost happened three times…once at IRP, once at VIR, once at Summit)
2) Crew - otherwise known as our friends. Besides Mark and Rene who were there primarily to take pictures and document, 3 other friends flew into NC just to watch and have fun with us for the last 3 days. It is amazing to me that anyone would do this for what is essentially not more than a timed DE. Rob is extremely mechanically inclined so no, we didn't need any of these people there to work on our cars for us.
3) BMW Club Hater - I'm smart enough to realize that not all members of the BMW club were after either of the cars.. I posted that while I know a member or two were the instigator, I use the term "Club" loosely. The only guy I'd like a shot at is the old man freak with the suspenders and camera... waist of life.
4) Tirewear – our tire wear was an issue of down force created from the RTR trunk and wing, not camber alone. The middle and outside of the tires were almost slicks when we started seeing cord on the inside.
5) Our social skills - As posted previously... Both cars were a handful.. I would have given my left nut to take it easy between run groups/events and talk to others.. I know Mike and us spent 95% of all down time wrenching, adding water, bleeding, adding oil..etc. I can’t believe anyone would call Rob or I arrogant. There wasn’t a person we snubbed that came by to look at the car, to help with the car or to ask for tools.
Name one other team that allowed kids to sit and play and have their pix made in their car??
At NH one of the last events I was watching a lot of cars. After we readied our car for it's final run I noticed a BMW flying thru a corner that I didn't think could be taken that fast.. So I went to talk to the driver to get pointers. Was he your co-driver? It was the first time all week I really had a chance to talk... mainly because we went last, with no one else on the track because of someone's complaining of fluids... although the corner workers never saw any dripping after Summit. The guys in this BMW were nice guys and lent us a jackstand. If that wasn't your car... then you must be talking about Jenny, one of our friends that came out for the last three days. Yeah.. it's amazing how much more friendly all the guys were after Jenny and her noticible chest went out to do a little counter recon to find out who was complaining and why. Utterly amazing how none of the other guys had a problem talking to me while she was with me.
Lastly, about the drive to Beaver Falls.. I’m going to assume Rob was following you and you asked Mike or Jon (the other NSX) and they didn’t have a clue about what you were talking about. If it was me, I can honestly say I don’t remember talking to you or anyone about following or leading… maybe it was because I was sleeping or asleep at the time.
6) By the numbers – In our class the NSX team’s accounted for 12 first in-class points (6 for each team) out of 20 events, the next closest team was ½ of that total with 3. I’m not sure why there is so much debate.. the competition was done on the track.. our DNFs sealed our fate.. Mike’s one DNF made it close in the end, but it is absolutely asinine to think that a van gave him that in-class victory or kept us in the top 25.

My thoughts about OLA (hopefully this will be a wrap up to this thread)
OLA is a interesting event. I am glad to have participated. Here are some of my thoughts about this historic event.
Event Structure:
It was far more tiring then I could have imagined. I don't understand or agree with the philosophy of having events spaced so narrowly that it is only possible to get an hour or two of sleep in consecutive nights. This is just dangerous. I think an endurance type of race is good, and maybe one sleepless night to separate the men from the boys, but I can say Rob and I were only able to check into a hotel before 2am one time. I estimate that the total number of hours I had to sleep were between 8-10 for the 7 days… not including me dosing off in the car.
I talk about this a little later, but I really think this event used to be and has the choice of being a little more social. If you are a top running car, the format currently encourages you to get to the track as early as possible, as you run first. Then leave immediately after your run so you can make it to the next venue and maybe get a little sleep or down time. I think that it would be better to have a couple of informal get-togethers thru-out the week at hotels or camp sites..etc.
While I felt the 3-lap events were too little of track time… they were surprisingly fun. Frankly the format allowed our car to compete as the headgasket issue wouldn’t have let us run longer. Now I would be more in favor of 20-30min sessions and them taking your top time or average of your top 3 times.. or even better 20min wheel to wheel sprint races at each of the tracks… Now your talking!
Choice of Car:
It is obvious that street tuned cars do much better than purpose built race cars. Yes the blue NASCAR truck did extremely well, but talking with that driver and others, he has been perfecting that vehicle for 2+ years. I would highly recommend a street car over a racecar for this event… for many different reasons. The thing I noticed is that the top 5 turned on their car, ran in their heat, turned off their car, packed their bags and headed to the next event. Nice.
Officiating
A weak point in OLA is that I feel it’s origin was a “fun” race… everyone having a good time, then came the king of OLA and someone has to win. Now it is really competitive for about 1/3rd of the entries, but it is run more from the fun side. SVRA must incorporate a protest fee… because it is my feeling that a group of people can sway the promoters or officials unjustifiably. This was the primary cause for one of our DNFs, our being sent to the back of the pack and the craziness ensued around the “VAN”. I realize OLA was founded by “there are no rules” but it is clear that this is not the case anymore and there should be very specific rules around competing cars. A good example is the GT40 driver, an ass, was shouting to Brock Jr, “If those (NSX) cars are having issues, they should not be allowed on the track… I won’t run with them” It immediately affected both cars, no investigation, no official inquire…both Mike and I were sent to the run group behind(slower) him. Besides Mike being held up by traffic we both ran w/out incident. What is really amazing is this came from a guy(GT40) who a day and ½ ago dirtied up the track by blowing a headgasket. It’s pretty sad when you think about it.

What does it take to win?
Above all it takes HP, and then you absolutely must have reliability followed by driver skill.
Money is another part, like with all car ventures. I’d say that Rob and I spent aprox $25-30K… something I’d consider better spent renting a car in GAC…. But it is a sickness, like most forms of autosports that keeps you going after bigger and better and more powerful. Thank goodness for companies that helps us with our sickness. Great Companies like EXP4 Additives, Goodson Acura, Honda Japan, Mobil 1, Brakeman Brakepads
Lastly, thanks to all the NSXers who support and cheer for us… you are the reason I do this.

I hope to have a story with pictures up on www.dalmotorsports.com soon.. Currently I only have pix.

RacerX-21 said:
Tires= Your allowed 6 each, one team used 4 and one team used 6 because of excessive down force to and from events.
Maybe you can enlighten me on that issue that already confused me when it was first mentioned in this thread. Assuming that the big wing and other aerodynamical helpers induced a downforce of - let's say - about 1000 Nm at a speed of 200 km/h which is huge for a street car. But: If you drive on public roads to the events with about the legal speed in U.S. then you have a lot less downforce - maybe only 100 Nm at 100 km/h which would be neglectable.

And: That's the first time I hear that downforce ruins the tires - my understanding (also heard from professional racing like F1) was that downforce saves tires because you slide less in corners and may even have better traction at high speeds. I doubt that vertical pressure on the tires (caused by downforce) would do any big harm to them. Or am I completely off here?

I will let Dal answer the details,
But you are correct in part.
More downforce gives you less slip, therefor less wear.
Problem comes in when you have downforce(same as excess weight) on the rear for extended drives, creates more stress on the tires etc. It is not the same as weight during acceleration or braking as you stated, less slip, but the loading of the tire at say 120mph is increased which makes camber/toe issues more severe. Unless your set at 0 toe your always slipping/scrubbing the tire at any speed no matter how much downforce or lift you have.

Two things, one We(EXP4- Jon and I) kept our pace down to 70-90mph for most of the trip. They were running a slightly faster pace in between tracks.
I personally did not need any more rear grip, needed front big time, but I would also guess that since our rear camber numbers were close that the toe on the Dal car was a contributing factor in the wear in addition to the downforce and speed.
But thats just my $.02.

Mikes right, the wear came from the 3500 miles in-between tracks sometimes 130+ with an average of 90ish (we were always making up time). Mikes tires and my fronts are 80%+ after the entire event. Our rear wing is functional, in fact you would be hard pressed to find a wing with more down force. According to RTR it made 1100 lbs at some speed? Since I had to swap an engine the weekend prior to the event, I never had the time to work on front down force. I also didn’t have the time to swap the rear deck and wing to a much less aggressive variation like commonly sold in the NSX community. (I have one of the few functional variations on my wife’s car.) By functional I mean a true airfoil design that creates lift in the downward direction. This type of wing gives much greater down force then a flap of sheet metal in the air path of the car. This variation also creates less drag then its counterpart having equal force. It also creates force at a lower speed. The rear deck is pinned, and not a simple swap with an OE trunk. I did however take the horizontal flap off, and adjust the pitch to its least aggressive angle. During the trip I mentioned to Vaughn that we would be better off removing the wing because we had a bad push. Not to make excuses, but we need real strong springs in the rear to keep the fenders off the tires at high speeds like VIR… so when you remove the down force or don’t go fast enough to use it, your working with a very poor handling car. The wing is the total width of the car and we had nowhere to put it… other then our BMW chase vehicle. :smile: Because of our other problems we just decided to drive around it (We didn’t have springs with us). The day we noticed the tires worn, was also the day Vaughn had really bad rear grip… (And lower then normal lap times), so I gave him full rear wing to help with the grip (it helped). We only had a short leg to get back to the Tire Rack 200 to 250 miles… we had no idea what a difference that adjustment made. In that last short leg we wore the tires equal to the entire 3200 miles previous. Many of the fastest miles on the previous legs were in the rain, maybe that played a part? Either way, in that short run almost all the rubber was off the tire, and the inside was corded.

The RTR car won races because of Peters driving talent and the RTR ingenuity. They developed a unique car that had a genius method of being better then the competition. Typical cars try to balance all corners equally. RTR took the risk to develop a very different car. They made more HP then the 285 street tires could put down, so they moved all of the weight to the rear for low speed grip, and relied on down force to balance the car at speed. I remember driving that car at VIR and getting loose in the high-speed sweeper coming on to the front stretch. I wasn’t going that fast and would normally make a mental note of the turns new limit, but RTR briefed me about the cars characteristics… and the turn had lots of runoff. The next time around I shelved my instincts and took the turn considerably faster… Holly sh?t the car was on rails, and the faster I went it would still take higher speed sweepers like a slot car. It was like an open wheel car… I wish I could have afforded to campaign that car before selling it.

Hmmmm! The plot thickens as Michael Jackson drives a BMW as well and is a charter member of the KC BMW club.....now that I recall...I noted many discarded sequined gloves at various One Lap tracks this year :rolleyes:

I saw Elvis in the Pink Caddy that was being trailored around by the Grey Mothership a.k.a. the "VAN"

:biggrin:

Hmmmmm!

Now that I think of it....I have never seen Brock Yates and Elvis at the same time....

Maybe they are one and the same?

* Brock likes big heavy American Cars
* Elvis Likes big heavy American Cars
* Both about the same age

I wonder?

Back