• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DAL Motorsports Enters One Lap of America

ak said:
What is that horrifying sound whenever you are slowing down or coasting? It sound as if the engine will blow up or something?? :eek:
That’s the blow-off valve… I try not to lift, but those pesky turns keep getting in the way.

RacerX-21 said:
That’s the blow-off valve… I try not to lift, but those pesky turns keep getting in the way.

Huh. I thought BOV sounds like psshhhhh instead of #$%$#@#$@#@$@Q!!!! :redface:

ak said:
Huh. I thought BOV sounds like psshhhhh instead of #$%$#@#$@#@$@Q!!!! :redface:

The 'pssht' sound is the what you hear on shifts. Due to being belt driven, in a SC'ed car, blow-off valves are also functional during non-load situations (i.e. coast or slowing down). It is in these situations where the valve acts as a diverter/bypass valve and vents the compressed air created by the crank driven compressor to the atmosphere becuase the excess air is not necessary.

Vaughnd said:
One Lap: Day 7 and 8 – Limping home , playing the pick and rumors and innuendos.
The OLA officials came to yell at Jon Jork the team capton, about the rumors… they made 4 of our crew and Mike/Jon team sign affidatives.. then the sanctioning body SVCA drilled anyone that was linked to our team

Why would you have a team of four there for them to talk to? Are you not admitting that you were using a team? Why was one of the NSXs parked on the side of the road outside Summit Point with a silver van that said Chin Motorsports on the side, was full of tools and manuals and had four guys wearing Chin Motorsport shirts running around?

What was cause of the tire failures? The One Lap website specifically states:

"What do I do in case a tire fails during the event?
If a tire fails during the event, a team must inform One Lap officials of the change and provide verifiable justification for the replacement. Failures due to too much negative camber, for example, are not considered reasons for replacement. Any teams found changing tires without proper notification and reason will be disqualified. If a change is necessary, it is strongly suggested that the failed tire be retained until an official can see it."

You guys were so far outside the rules it was sickening.

KU Ned, now starring in the international box office blockbuster:

0780623274.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The NSX "fan club". It was just lucky chance that the guys driving from track to track in the van were mechanics and by your own admission team members and they just so happened to be carrying tools and spare parts! What luck!!

OLOA_137.sized.jpg

I doubt the nsx "club" was the only group of car specific fans and good samaritans to help racers with the same type of car,,,cmonnnnnn.KU are you really serious that the nsx racers were the only teams recieving aid from vollunteers????? :mad: I know there have been instances in the past were teams had other drivers for the road stints while the racers secretly got to the tracks in motor homes,,so I would rethink your post.

docjohn said:
I doubt the nsx "club" was the only group of car specific fans and good samaritans to help racers with the same type of car,,,cmonnnnnn.KU are you really serious that the nsx racers were the only teams recieving aid from vollunteers????? :mad: I know there have been instances in the past were teams had other drivers for the road stints while the racers secretly got to the tracks in motor homes,,so I would rethink your post.

You're probably right, but unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that if what KU said is true, they seem to be blatantly violating the rules as written.

I'm most definitely not implying they were breaking any rules nor am I implying they were the only one's doing this as I agree with you, others likely did as well. But I was always taught, just because someone else is breaking the rules, doesn't make it alright for you to break the rules.

Last edited:
docjohn said:

The local Cobra Club helped out a Cobra owner at Summit Point and I know the Subaru guys had help along the way by locals but not one other team had a van filled with parts and tools follow them to each track. The spirit of One Lap is 1 car, two drivers, 1 set of tires. If you have problems along the way you are to deal with them. The two NSX's threw the spirit of the rule right out the Chin Motorsport Van's window.

Well I don't think I'm qualified to offer any more opinions on this topic,because I was'nt there,and I have not read the rules of one lap.I will have to educate myself :wink:

KU Ned said:
Why would you have a team of four there for them to talk to? Are you not admitting that you were using a team?

Two NSXes entered times two drivers in each car equals four. At least that was what I was taught in 2nd grade.

KU Ned said:
Why was one of the NSXs parked on the side of the road outside Summit Point with a silver van that said Chin Motorsports on the side, was full of tools and manuals and had four guys wearing Chin Motorsport shirts running around?

Was not there, could not comment except that I saw that van at VIR and it was full of seats and beer bottles (sorry Mark:D) and yellow lab hair, but not equipped as you state.

KU Ned said:
What was cause of the tire failures? The One Lap website specifically states:

"What do I do in case a tire fails during the event?
If a tire fails during the event, a team must inform One Lap officials of the change and provide verifiable justification for the replacement. Failures due to too much negative camber, for example, are not considered reasons for replacement. Any teams found changing tires without proper notification and reason will be disqualified. If a change is necessary, it is strongly suggested that the failed tire be retained until an official can see it."

Don't know much about the NSX, huh? Three to four thousand miles is not uncommon with rear tires, and if the car is lowered at all, it creates negative camber that cannot be resolved. There are probably over two hundred posts on this site regarding rear tire wear and negative camber. Plus, the rear wing on the DAL/EXP4 car is from Peter Cunningham's world challenge race car (it is my wing) and provides up to 1000# of downforce at speed. The stock car has minimal downforce at speed.

KU Ned said:
You guys were so far outside the rules it was sickening.

Thanks for your opinions. See you next year.:D

BTW, if KU is Lexington based, then War Damn Eagle!!!

ncdogdoc said:
Two NSXes entered times two drivers in each car equals four. At least that was what I was taught in 2nd grade.

I assumed he was talking about the four guys wearing Chin Motorsport shirts that were seen (and I talked to) at all of the sites.

ncdogdoc said:
Was not there, could not comment except that I saw that van at VIR and it was full of seats and beer bottles (sorry Mark:D) and yellow lab hair, but not equipped as you state.

I am working on getting pictures of the van full of parts. I know what I saw and I know that many others saw it.

ncdogdoc said:
Don't know much about the NSX, huh? Three to four thousand miles is not uncommon with rear tires, and if the car is lowered at all, it creates negative camber that cannot be resolved. There are probably over two hundred posts on this site regarding rear tire wear and negative camber. Plus, the rear wing on the DAL/EXP4 car is from Peter Cunningham's world challenge race car (it is my wing) and provides up to 1000# of downforce at speed. The stock car has minimal downforce at speed.

How does that affect the rules? I guess if you can not get 5,000 miles out of a set of tires you should not run One Lap in a NSX.

ncdogdoc said:
Thanks for your opinions. See you next year.:D

BTW, if KU is Lexington based, then War Damn Eagle!!!

I probably would not have jumped into this but the guy bashing BMW's seemed to forget the white M3 that stopped to help when the NSX broke down ("broke down" was not needed - you can assume that if I refer to NSX and One Lap that the car was broken down or would soon be with the van pictured above soon to arrive). My team mate and I stopped on the highway to help the broken down car. As we were standing there the other NSX buzzed by. Who were the good guys in that situation?

And... before you ask. The day we stopped to help was later the same day that Brock confronted them about the van and support crew

KU has nothing to do with Lexington and everything to do with Jayhawks!

KU Ned said:
I assumed he was talking about the four guys wearing Chin Motorsport shirts that were seen (and I talked to) at all of the sites.

Thats interesting, Does Mark know this? As far As I know he was the only one wearing a Chin shirt, and yes he was there and yes it was pre-arranged by Brock Yates that he and the "VAN" would be at each event because of sponsor obligations for filming and documenting the One LAP. Unfortunately to many cry babies went yelling to Brock that the van was at the first several events, so Brock asked us to stop bringing it to the track and to try to make other arrangements for filming, all the while, like we didnt have enough problems, trying to keep both cars competitive( oh- yes the "team"- two cars four people, is that against the rules.

KU Ned said:
How does that affect the rules? I guess if you can not get 5,000 miles out of a set of tires you should not run One Lap in a NSX.

One lap allows six tires to be used then if additional are needed, you need approval, so Rob/ Vaughn were within the rules.
I personally could go another 2-3000 miles on my set. Just different set-ups and they had more power on tap more of the time.

KU Ned said:
I probably would not have jumped into this but the guy bashing BMW's seemed to forget the white M3 that stopped to help when the NSX broke down ("broke down" was not needed - you can assume that if I refer to NSX and One Lap that the car was broken down or would soon be with the van pictured above soon to arrive). My team mate and I stopped on the highway to help the broken down car. As we were standing there the other NSX buzzed by. Who were the good guys in that situation?

That was me that buzzed by because I had spoken to Rob via cell phone and the only thing I could do for him was to get back to the Tire rack ASAP and send someone with a spare tire from the trailer, since fix a flat wasnt going to do it. We appreciate that you stopped, but dont be so quick to criticize without all the info. By the way who was bashing M3's. I own one so I know it wasnt me.

KU Ned said:
And... before you ask. The day we stopped to help was later the same day that Brock confronted them about the van and support crew

by the way, the VAn you refer to was already back at the tire rack prior to you stopping and unfortunately had no access to a spare since I had the keys to my trailer.

I can only speak for myself and my car so if you want details here you go
Parts needed and the source.

Thermostat- borrowed from Rob/ 2nd car/ not needed gave back.

Wire/ rigged starter button- done at my house in MD early am before Summit

S/c belts- 1st spare I was carrying/ second one came from Rob/Dal car/ then I had my wife drive all over the BAltimore area to pick up 3 more just in case.

Crank pulley- at my house with my novi 1000 parts- changed at my house on my lift prior to leaving for VIR.

Transmission- you had to see that strapped to my roof didnt you??
Just kidding- Gary Yates- brought the trans and required parts etc to Vir as soon as heard about the failure- by the time he arrived two hours after my trans bit the dust, my NSX was on a lift at American Detail at VIR and we were well on our way with the removal of the old one. If not for Gary supplying the trans and for Mark Hicks help in installing it, yes we were done, so if you feel that Marks physical help was against the rules then maybe things should be different with the results. All I can say is that I got a lot less sleep, worked ten times harder than most anyone in the one lap to get the results we earned. Its doesnt sit right with me that after the Yates's investigated the van etc and our results were include because I did nothing wrong you still want to cry about the outcome. Sounds to me like some people are sore losers, and some just need to learn how to drive. (not pointing any fingers at all). Just a little disappointed that people cant grow up. :frown:

KU Ned said:
KU has nothing to do with Lexington and everything to do with Jayhawks!

I almost went with that one. Sorry about the whole Roy Williams thing:D

Go Heels!!!!!!

KU Ned said:
I am working on getting pictures of the van full of parts. I know what I saw and I know that many others saw it.

Dude/Bitch...whichever you are...it's OVER.
You DID NOT WIN
They ARE NOT going to reverse anything because of your repeated whining.

GO AWAY :rolleyes:

DONYMO said:
Dude/Bitch...whichever you are...it's OVER.
You DID NOT WIN
They ARE NOT going to reverse anything because of your repeated whining.

GO AWAY :rolleyes:

I could really care less about the running order. As I said above I jumped in with the information I had after Vaughnd bitched about the BMW crowd. I can tell you I heard more bitching about the help the NSX's were getting from people in other classes than anyone in a BMW.

Here is a picture that proves my theory!!! (sent from another One Lapper)

Chintoy2.sized.jpg

Who cares if they did reverse anything? Does anything change the actual results of on track driving skills between the different drivers...

Frankly, I would be a little quiet and below radar if I completed 100% of the One Lap with NO DNF's and was beaten by several cars that had 1- 4 DNF's. DNF's = 0 points for that run...

What's next on the rumor mill..

CHIN motorsports employed midgets (sorry, forgot they prefer to be known as "Little People") in a support vehicle as they were harder to see below the van window height.

Within the van, the little people had complete factory molds to reproduce each part of the NSX. By collecting aluminum cans and melting them down in the factory molds, they were able to produce a transmission or other parts as needed. :rolleyes:

God...Roll up your pant legs...it's too late to save your shoes around here :biggrin:

"There Are No Rules" should be changed to "Nothing But Rules"... :tongue:

At the end of the day, since "One Flap" errrr "One Lap" allows people to bring parts to you at a track, FEDEX to deliver parts to track, diversion to a shop or home for repairs if time permits & trailers pulled by your entered car sized as large as you can pull...who @#$% really cares if a car has a semi following them as long as they drive their actual entered car the entire event to/from/on the tracks.

Overall top 3 is what it's all about to me...the rest is just "booby" prizes....

If you are not in top 5, why even waste time talking about a tire change on a car in 22nd place overall...OOOOwee..maybe I can move up to his spot...22nd place here I come..

15th, 22nd, 195th...what's the difference...

Sorry to hear some of the Bimmers and other marques were so upset....the fun of One Lap is meeting all the different car clubs and people...typically, I have a good time and meet a lot of new friends...

Wish everyone would have focused thier comments on some other issues....like One Lap sending out faster cars with slower cars improperly spaced causing a "Pass" or loose time scenario which is also a safety issue...

Glad to see they improved their safety a little from 2002 where I noted corner workers in shorts and tee shirts and drivers only had to have a long sleeve shirt & helmet..I think SVRA intervened on these issues..

JY

KU Ned said:
Here is a picture that proves my theory!!! (sent from another One Lapper)

Chintoy2.sized.jpg

Someone has some real issues to spend time making that little diorama. If there was a rules violation you should have taken it up with the people in charge during the race. But it is now over, so at this point you just look like a sore loser. Let it go, and better luck next year.

Hey Ku Ned...

That pic is funny!

Even funnier is the fact that it's a much nicer display then what One Lap gives you for a trophy...

I didn't even stick around for the awards ceremony but I would have stayed if I could have gotten that car/truck display...

You either get enjoyment out of running the event or worry about a $20 trophy...

JY

The winning Porsche team arrived at Roebling and had their car fully serviced by an 18 wheeler rig full of Porsche mechanics. That doesn't exactly sound like it's the the "spirit of One Lap"

One Lap should make everything equal for everyone and allow any and all support an entrant wants to pay for short of trailering the car betwen the tracks. You can pay an entrant fee for your support vehicle and it's allowed.

You don't even have to drive it on the track..just take a DNS (did not start).

They already have the sticker "There are no Rules".

JY

xsn said:
Someone has some real issues to spend time making that little diorama. If there was a rules violation you should have taken it up with the people in charge during the race. But it is now over, so at this point you just look like a sore loser. Let it go, and better luck next year.

The "Collectors Set" is funny as hell and probably took someone 15 minutes to put together. I jumped in on this discussion after being linked the site from a non-BMW person. When I say the bitching about the BMW crowd I decided to jump in and have some fun.

Just like the guys with the team van, some of you are taking this way too seriously.

Ku,

I’m not one for politics, or stirring up controversy. I’m a driver that loves to drive, and while doing this I do my best to be friendly and help everyone. One of my past experiences was part of a debate team whose exercise was to separately debate both sides of a subject, so I’m quite familiar with the fact that we could go back and forth forever. This is defiantly not my intention. My intention is to detail some facts and hopefully give you some information that will allow you to be neutral and put this to bed so we can go back to friendly competition in 2006.

Team = 4 drivers in two NSX’s
Tires= Your allowed 6 each, one team used 4 and one team used 6 because of excessive down force to and from events. The 5th and 6th tires were pre purchased before the event and waiting in our tow vehicle at the tire rack. A call was made to Brocker for the use of these tires.
Van= Originally one of the One Lap title sponsors wanted to film the event to help advertise One Lap for a manufacturer wanting to sponsor the new series Brock is developing. This action was verified and allowed by the One lap organization, in fact was encouraged because of what it could mean for the series. I think what tied this vehicle to us is the turn of events the week before we started. The 2nd driver of one of the NSX’s (who by the way would have been an asset, as he knew ALL the tracks in the event) had to drop out because of buddies that died in a very public aviation shooting in Iraq. Mike asked Jon to drive with him in the NSX as he already had licensing. Jon now needed someone to transport the filming equipment that wouldn’t fit in an NSX. The replacement is driver was Mark, who opted to use his own van vs. the rental van in someone else’s name.
Friends=
Mark is in fact a Chin member
Mike, Vaughn and I are Chin members
Mark is a BMWCCA member and instructor
I am a BMWCCA member
Mike is an M-car owner, I don’t know if he has a BMWCCA membership
More then 10% of the One Lap entrants are Chin members
A large number of BMW members are entrants (Including a very political member who is also on the One Lap committee and who helped perpetuate this controversy)

Friends tend to gravitate towards each other and that’s what we have. If I break down, people want to help… the van, the other NSX, other non entered vehicles dedicated to other entrants, and even you… all stoped and were all friendly, that’s appreciated and the way it should be. (I’m not sure what BMW bashing your talking about) however I can tell you that the spirit of the event was tarnished with the childish strong arm tactics of the small one lap BMW community. The One lap officials told me about demands made based on made up rumors. “ The trans came from the van”, “The NSX changed a drive shaft on the side of the highway that came from the van” and “NSX drivers are sleeping in the van”. I don’t hold bad feelings with BMW members, however I pity some individuals who are focusing on the wrong things for winning. My car likely had more wins in class then any, but we DNF’d 4 times… that’s my fault. The deficiencies in my car is my new focus… I’m not going to the series or competitors for alternative positions. I failed my goals and will try again.

Other entrants had friends (Including two cars in the top three) in dedicated vehicles that followed them to watch the races. That’s allowed, some of them had parts, one of them had a motor home and trailer. A BMW team purchased an alternator. An NSX team borrowed a trans. The GT40 team had crew to swap heads before the next event, the Radical had crew to reconstruct the nose of his car. The NSX swapped a trans at a VIR shop. Many cars including us had work done at the Carolina Rod shop. It’s ok to borrow parts or tools from a competitor. If you had the budget and paid $2K it would be OK to enter a chase vehicle. What I’m trying to convey is that none of this changes the drivers or cars ability. One shouldn’t make excuses for better placement and should focus more on winning at the track.

Two last notes:

Because of the grey line that was made apparent by this situation and the attempts to exploit it in both directions… The One Lap committee is likely going to lift the chase vehicle restrictions for 2006, as spectators should always be allowed to attend, and getting parts, working on cars, and using help are already allowed and easily accommodated with or without a supporting vehicle. So now we can focus on racing and having fun.

I sincerely wish I didn’t have friends I knew in a van, this van in no way changed the pitiful results I had or any other car had in 2005. It was however used as a vehicle for other entrants to diminish my enjoyment the later half of the event.

Back