• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Dali Gruppe M's NSX/R shifter

Just installed the Gruppe M's NSX/R style shifter yesterday and have to tell you all if you don't have one yet GET IT! For a measly $72 (i think) you'll be rewarded with one of those "doesn't make it go faster but feels faster" items. The shifter sits a lot lower than stock and shortens the shift a bit, but more than anything I was surprised at the feeling you get. It just feels a lot more racy and in the past two days I've been up/down shifting just for fun. Next I'll have to do the Dali/Short shift linkage, but I wonder though becouse as it is the shifter is at a perfect hight now. Best dollar for dollar item I've ever purchased.

becareful of that, when you shorten the shift throw by simply cutting the shifter or using a shorter shift knob, you might have a shoter shift throw, but the distance bewteen the steering wheel and the shifter is increased. YOu might gain 0.2 seconds in shifting, but lost 0.3 seconds in reaching for the shifter.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
becareful of that, when you shorten the shift throw by simply cutting the shifter or using a shorter shift knob, you might have a shoter shift throw, but the distance bewteen the steering wheel and the shifter is increased. YOu might gain 0.2 seconds in shifting, but lost 0.3 seconds in reaching for the shifter.

I feel that your making a mute point. Firstly, the time saved in shifting (if any) is just an added bonus to my view that it is just funner to shift now (for lack of a better term). The fact that you mentioned I would loose 0.30 seconds to reach the now further away shifter should not affect the performance of the car at all, it just means I have to take one of my hands off the wheel that much sooner. I'd still be shifting at the same rpm, and the shift would still be shorter and quicker (however marginally so). I think if you think about it for a second you'll agree. But let's not get away from my original point and that is that I recommend it for the driving experience and not becouse it's going to help you beat your buddies porshe from 0-60.

Well if you take the friction coefficient and divide that by the time it takes your hand to release the steering wheel to grasp the shift knob, and add that to the reaction time from the brain to the muscles in the hand, then multiply that with the amount of friction the transmission gives in addition to the amount of horsepower the engine is giving you at the fly wheel... OF COURSE you have to consider the humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, altitude, and time of day... to make sure you get the right quarter mile times...

sure, it's no biggie, and a shorter shifter makes the car more fun to drive. Only place where my point would be valid is for the racer type who drives at the limit on track. It would be nicer if all the the controls are placed close to each other as much as possible, thus reducing reaction time, fatigue, etc, etc, etc.....

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

Originally posted by sboggs:
I also installed one and really like the feel, but I don't like how the boot looks with it. Did you just fold down or figure out a neater way to secure?

I installed mine with instructions from Alex Vizcarra, they are as follows:

Here's what you do with the boot. You'll need a small plastic tie wrap and wire cutters.

First, you'll have to remove the center compartment, that little compartment between the seats which has a flip open door. There is a "fake" bottom inside which you remove with a thin bladed screwdriver and will reveal 4 screws.

After taking out the center compartment, remove the single screw that holds the back part of the center console. Remove the ash tray and you will find a couple of screws inside as well. Remove those screws.

Now, you will be able to lift up the center piece of the center console quite a bit from the rear end. You will now have to fold the shift boot into itself, so that the shiny plastic piece is inside the shift boot near the top part. Lift up the center plastic piece of the center console and support it at the rear end somewhere with something about 2-3 inches tall. You should now be able to slip your hand underneath and reach for the plastic piece that you folded into the shift boot.

Take the plastic tie wrap and tie it around the shift boot inside, at a point just above the plastic piece. Adjust the boot so that it fits near the base of the shift knob and then tighten the tie wrap and cut off the excess with the wire cutters.

Reassemble all parts and you are done.

And by the way, this is how the NSX-R's shift boot looks like and the manner in which it is fastened is very similar.

Just to be clear, did you reused the chrome plastic piece that was part of the OEM knob? Did you just reinstall the way it was, or fold in somehow so it doesn't show?

thanks

Yes, the chrome plastic piece is just tucked inside of the shift boot and then the plastic tie is tightened above the chrome plastic so that it doesn't show. That is why you have to go under the console to pull the chrome plastic piece inside the boot. You can check the picture shown on the Dali web site under the Gruppe M listing. www.daliracing.com

Just to be clear, did you reused the chrome plastic piece that was part of the OEM knob? Did you just reinstall the way it was, or fold in somehow so it doesn't show?

thanks

I broke off the chrome piece and simply tightened the plastic strap. The installation looks clean and neat with the new shifter sitting right on top of the leather, I'll take some pictures and post them.

Back