• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DC - rules of the road.

1. First, you must learn to call it by its rightful name. It is "D.C.", or "the District". Only tourists call it Washington.

2. Next, if your road map of Montgomery County is more than a few weeks old, throw it out and buy a new one. It's obsolete. If you live or work in Loudoun or Fairfax county, your map was obsolete as soon as you paid for it.

3. There is no such thing as a dangerous high speed chase in D.C. It's just another chase, usually on the BW Parkway.

4. All directions start with "From the Beltway"...which has no beginning and no end, just one continuous loop that locals believe is somehow clarified by an "inner" and "outer" designation.

5. The morning rush hour is from 5 to 11 AM.

6. The evening rush hour is from 1 to 8 PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning, especially during the summer on Route 50 eastbound or 95 South in Virginia

7. If there is a ball game at Redskins stadium, there is no point in driving anywhere near PG County. (Tip: Never say PG County to anyone from Mitchellville, Upper Marlboro or Fort Washington.)

8. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended and shot at. If you run the red light, be sure to smile for the $100 "picture" you will receive courtesy of DMV. (However, if you don't go as soon as the light turns green; you will get cussed out in 38 languages, none of them English.)

9. Rain causes an immediate 50 point drop of IQ in drivers.

10. Snow causes an immediate 100 point drop in IQ and a rush to the Giant for toilet paper and milk.

11. Construction on I-270 is a way of life and a permanent source of scorn and cynical entertainment. It's ironic that it's called an "Interstate," but runs only from Bethesda to Frederick, unless you consider Montgomery County another state, which some do.

12. All unexplained sights are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we're in Takoma Park".

13. If someone actually has their turn signal on, they are by definition, someone who just moved here from the mid-west.

14. Car horns are actually "Road Rage" indicators. Heed the warning.

15. All Buicks have the right of way in the area of Leisure World.

16. In Virginia, many roads mysteriously change their names as you cross intersections. Don't ask why, no one knows.

18. If you stop to ask directions in Southeast... well just don't.

19. A taxi ride across town will cost you $12.50. A taxi ride two blocks will cost you $16.75. (It's a zone thing, you just wouldn't understand.)

20. Traveling south out of DC through the Interstate 395/95 interchange is the most dangerous, scariest thing you will ever do in a car.

21. You're comforted that you will make it to work on time when there are seven lanes of traffic cruising along at 85 mph, bumper-to-bumper.

22. The minimum acceptable speed on the Beltway is 75 unless there's only you and another car, which of course will be doing 40, in the left lane.

23. The open lane for passing on all Maryland interstates is the far right lane because no self-respecting Marylander would ever be caught driving in the "slow" lane.

24. The far left lanes on all Virginia interstates are official "chat" lanes reserved for drivers who wish to talk on their cell phones.

25. All mini-vans and SUVs have priority clearance to use every lane at whatever speed the driver feels most comfortable multi-tasking in. Please don't be concerned if the driver is not actually looking at the road. They know they're on it

Hahaha that's pretty funny cause it's true...

8a. If there is a cop behind you and you go through a yellow light in DC, you will get a $100 ticket and 2 points on your license. It's in the law books, especially if you drive a cool car.

12. Takoma Park is ghetto (I lived there and saw some sketchy things)

23. The far right lane on I-95 from College Park to Baltimore is a perfect example of this.

26. Windshield Wiper Spray is part of the road rage arsenal

27. Don't drive under the speed limit while going past speed cameras. They snap at 11-12mph over, so 5mph over is acceptable.

28. When traffic is gridlocked, merging alternates between lanes. If you go out of turn, you will get nicked.

I grew up in Springfield, VA, moved to Oregon 22 years ago. I go back at least once a year to visit family and to be reminded why I moved to Oregon.

"20. Traveling south out of DC through the Interstate 395/95 interchange is the most dangerous, scariest thing you will ever do in a car."

This one jumped out at me, I'ver never seen a highway with so many lanes (my wife counted 11). And those were just the southbound ones.

In DC it is important not to use your turn signal as that is a sign of weakness.

Great post; you nailed it,

Matt

lol:biggrin: Thanks. I used to drive around that area quite often. Can't say I miss it. That being said, San Francisco has it's challenges as well.

What happened to 17? I think it was supposed to be something like

"17) Maryland drivers are taught that the proper way to merge onto a highway is to immediately move as far left as possible and travel under the speed limit. This rule is enforced from Maine to Florida for Maryland plates."

but that seems like a corollary of 23.

28. When traffic is gridlocked, merging alternates between lanes. If you go out of turn, you will get nicked.

That's the way it should be, just work the zipper where the lane ends. The way it actually works is someone will stop in the lane that is ending in 3/4 mile and turn their blinker on. 2 minutes later, someone lets them merge, everyone that was stacked up behind moves up in the (now-empty) 3/4 of a mile, and everyone that's in the other merging lane gets torqued that people are passing them, and refuse to let them in at the zipper point, leading to the ultraviolence.

Last edited:
I really hate RT66 in NOVA. Everyone feels like they can go 55 MPH in the far left lane and create a big gridlock. I know the cops are strict but geez freaken move over so I can do 70 MPH.

29. The far left lane is the best place to view an accident on the right shoulder because there will, without a doubt, be 500 people in front of you slamming on their brakes to view the carnage. This will cause major gridlock and allow you to view the gory mess of a small paint exchange accident in great detail until the people in front of you decide to look forward and start driving again.

30. Maryland is full of invisible stop signs on major highways only visible to mentally lacking people. When you are stuck in traffic for what seems like hours and you get to the invisible line in the road where, all of the sudden, people start moving again, take comfort knowing that you aren't an idiot. Unless you can see the invisible stop sign. In that case, please stay off the road and learn how to ride public transportation.

31. Take comfort when you get a $70 ticket for not having the hideous front license plate mounted in the factory location and the state trooper hands you a pamphlet on how this citation keeps you safe. (I don't know how I made it through 30 years of life without a front license plate here and in other parts of the country, but I sure am glad I know now I am safe.....from whatever it is that makes not having a front license plate unsafe.

I grew up in Springfield, VA, moved to Oregon 22 years ago. I go back at least once a year to visit family and to be reminded why I moved to Oregon.

Great post; you nailed it,

Matt

Whew, in Oregon for NSXPO Portland I was simply amazed at how your drivers (or should I tell the truth..... operators) are so well trained by the Oregon State Police / may as well be Highway Patrol. Folks there drive like a boatload of sissies and milktoasts, 'cause that is what they are conditioned to be.
I think my vote would stay with D C area traffic for now. At least they attempt to be "manly."

# 31 by Syndicate is fre-kin hilarious! Way to go!! :wink:
On another note, rant, whatever -

# 32 : During three seasons, if brake light(s) are spotted in the three miles visible in front of you, better "tap the brakes" once or twice to warn everyone behind you. Could be some trouble (nothing up there, but there could be...). It's called sympathetic braking, and it is so predictable to watch thirty-two SUV's, minivans, etc, all hit their binders in sequence for nuttin' other than follow the leader!

Back