• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer listed JH4NA1155MT001621

Looking at NSX in local dealership

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2721241240.html

What do you guys think about its price? $34877 with 35k miles.
They had free carfax it looks like it was owned by dealers (not too sure) doesn't show how many owners there were but it's Colorado vehicle ever since it was first bought.

As you can see my SN...this is one I made when I was in High School (since 1998)

NSX has been my dream car ever since High School. Like many I too gotten older and actually through out my life I am buying all my dream cars. This including GTR, M3, 240sx, sti etc.
But I am always desiring something more...something fits my glove..
something I can drive everyday not worry about breaking down and still have that driver and machine oneness... never test driven NSX, so I hope this will be the one. M3 sure was something close to that idea but meh, never buying BMW because of their reliability.

Now I am really wanting either NSX or S2000 for my current stable but man shelling 35k on 1991 is some what crazy. I know I am car crazy guy but even with that determination and craziness...it takes real balls.

Anyhow let me know what you guys think about the car. Do you guys think I can negotiate a bit with the pricing? I sent them an email regarding snap ring range but haven't heard from them. Not much information besides those timing belts and coolant was flushed. I am planning to go check it out tomorrow morning to see if they will let me test drive it.

Last edited:
Now I am really wanting either NSX or S2000 for my current stable but man shelling 35k on 1991 is some what crazy. I know I am car crazy guy but even with that determination and craziness...it takes real balls.

Are you hesitating b/c you don't want to spend this much on a "20 year old car" or is it b/c it's too much you want to spend for a 91 NSX?

Are you hesitating b/c you don't want to spend this much on a "20 year old car" or is it b/c it's too much you want to spend for a 91 NSX?

It's the 20 year old car thing that is holding me back...
I don't mind about 91 but it would be nicer if it was 94 with low mileage with that price.

I guess I am getting too old to spend on older cars with new car prices. :eek:

It is very clean and has very low miles, it being retro, and older is what makes the nsx so cool. There is nothing else like it, and all NSX's are pretty rare cars. There is no navigation driven computers and the 1990's perhaps marks the last of an era of "drivers cars" that we may never see again. I would offer $31k and then probably meet somewhere in between. The NSX is one of the best collector car bargains out there right now in my opinion.

It is very clean and has very low miles, it being retro, and older is what makes the nsx so cool. There is nothing else like it, and all NSX's are pretty rare cars. There is no navigation driven computers and the 1990's perhaps marks the last of an era of "drivers cars" that we may never see again. I would offer $31k and then probably meet somewhere in between. The NSX is one of the best collector car bargains out there right now in my opinion.

Thanks gelat0

And the dealer told me that it is 2 owner car and not in snap in range.

I recently bought one myself, and my only regret is that I did not do it sooner. I was on the hunt for a 1997-2001, and once you find the right one jump on it fast because the good ones go quick. The thing you have to remember is that with an NSX your down side risk is much less than most sports cars because they are so dependable, and very rare. So, if you buy it and dont like it you can probably sell it fast and for what you paid for it, because buyers know they are good cars, are already classics and future collectables.. Try doing that with an Aston Martin or Ferrari, which are magnificent cars but can be hard to sell if you dont like it, or if something big needs to be done to it.. Buyers of those cars want belts, clutches, full history, blood etc. Not to mention that you could easily incur a $10k repair bill along the way.. To find an NSX that clean with low miles like that is pretty rare, and now that you posted it here I imagine you may have created some competition for yourself since it looks like a clean car.

I actually looked at this car and tried to buy it. It is in very good condition. Paint looks fantastic and overall the body, (from what I could determine), looked great.
The major maint. has been completed recently.
The *only* thing is - it needs a Clutch :(

I offered the STEALERship $32k AND they pay for a new clutch installed....

they declined.

just an FYI - hope this helps.

It's a really nice example of a '91. If it didn't need a clutch, I would have offered $33k - which I feel is a VERY fair offer.

Joe

I bought a 91 with slightly higher mileage in denver a year and a half ago for $28,500. Let them sit on it for a while. You need to be able to spend a few grand on it in the first year you own it . Especially if it is in need of a new clutch.

Very informative! Thanks guys
This guy named Jeff at the dealership, Well I haven't seen him in person but he doesn't answer my email very well. I had to ask every question twice in order to get some answer from him.

And he was the one who told me that it is not in snap ring range. Hmmmmmm.

Very informative! Thanks guys
This guy named Jeff at the dealership, Well I haven't seen him in person but he doesn't answer my email very well. I had to ask every question twice in order to get some answer from him.

And he was the one who told me that it is not in snap ring range. Hmmmmmm.

I was mainly working with the GM over there; I would ask to speak with him as he was the most familiar with the car. Seemed like a nice guy, straight forward ect ect ect

Also - in-terms of the clutch; it completely depends on how you drive - simply meaning, it could need a new clutch immediately OR within 4 months.
Personally - the fact that the clutch struggled to grab at the very top tells me it's at the point where it will start slipping. The GM had the car for a weekend before I looked at it and told me it needs a new clutch.
If you don't drive it hard, you might get 4 months out of it but....that's not me ;)

Good Luck!!

Its probably worth the asking price with a new clutch installed, but I would try to get it for around $33K without. The low miles usually command a premium. Looks like a nice car.

I looked at the NSX and its very clean inside and out, looks like it is very well cared for, although they did not mention the clutch. I did look at the carfax and if I recall, I believe it is actually a 3 owner car... not sure that makes a difference. Definetly worth 33k in my opinion. They will be able to sell it in the spring for 35k no problem if they throw in the clutch.

I see everyone checking this one out at the dealer in Denver...but what about Eric's from the site here.... Vin#JH4NA1153MT001116. Has anyone looked at it? All the maintenance and clutch minus the wheels...but less expensive. Just curious as I am in Cali and it seems like there are a few poeple in the market, even in Denver this time of year. Thought I'd ask...

Dennis

I see everyone checking this one out at the dealer in Denver...but what about Eric's from the site here.... Vin#JH4NA1153MT001116. Has anyone looked at it? All the maintenance and clutch minus the wheels...but less expensive. Just curious as I am in Cali and it seems like there are a few poeple in the market, even in Denver this time of year. Thought I'd ask...

Dennis

I am going to go check out his car in couple of days. I am pretty sure it's all nice and drives very well. I will let him judge about my 12 GTR as well if he test drive it. :tongue:

so he can come to the dark side.. it looks like board has so much hate for styling of GTR hahaha

Last edited:
I am going to go check out his car in couple of days. I am pretty sure it's all nice and drives very well. I will let him judge about my 12 GTR as well if he test drive it. :tongue:

so he can come to the dark side.. it looks like board has so much hate for styling of GTR hahaha

I like the GTR and started there first. I like the features new cars have. But, I've always loved the NSX and look forward to owning one...someday.

Let us know how it goes...

Went to the Dealer today,

checked out the car and it wasn't a planned visit so I didn't get to drive it.

It looks fantastic outside and inside. Jeff sales guy seems like he isn't too informed about NSX and like wagyshag told us, you are better off talking to the GM about the car.

He said they are firm on the price and would not budge.. oh and they have 2 month 2000 or 3000 miles warranty that comes with the car. I guess it's not much but I guess it's better than nothing. And they didn't mention what kind of warranty it is but I am just guessing it's powertrain.

I had time to go take a look at another car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acur...2497410?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45ff17dd02

Vin: JH4NA1152RT000269

it's 94 with green and tan interior.
few things that's wrong with the car.

Seat bolster is pretty worn out and there is a rip about 1 inch at the bolster. Interior seems dirty since it's tan interior. Chrome rims..well they need to get re-painted or powder coated because they are peeling off on all 4 wheels.
Tires are different types on front and back. I think front were bridgestone and other one was something else. But it looks like they just replaced the worn tire.

Another thing was I went through the service record and didn't find much about services except for oils and tires (wasn't able to look everything). However I did find that original owner said that there was 3rd gear grinding but Acura didn't do anything about it. There were bunch of records mostly oil changes but after about 61k miles history stops. I think after prime owner sold the car, it just went hand to hand owner did not care much about maintenance.

Paint is overall good shape but there was paint peeling at driver side fender.

Other than that it looked like it was in worse condition and may need some reconditioning for sure. Clutch may have changed before but I wasn't able to find the invoice from the record.

Hope this helps for anybody in the future.

Oh and one more thing about green nsx..
I think there may have been aftermarket exhaust Magnaflow installed but taken out. I saw this somewhere in the service record.

Last edited:
I know the GM of this dealership in Littleton. He is one of the most legit guys in the car business you will ever meet.

If you are a little worried about spending that much on a 91 perhaps you would consider one with higher mileage with equally few owners? I would probably do the timing belt and water pump regardless. Just cause the vehicle only has 20 or 30k miles on it doesn't dismiss the fact that it is 20 year old rubber. Service manual states every 6 years.

Also maybe some more seasoned members and chime in here but are they any obvious reasons for not purchasing a privately owned NSX in the 21-26k range? I am talking 91-94 models with around 75k miles.

If you are a little worried about spending that much on a 91 perhaps you would consider one with higher mileage with equally few owners? I would probably do the timing belt and water pump regardless. Just cause the vehicle only has 20 or 30k miles on it doesn't dismiss the fact that it is 20 year old rubber. Service manual states every 6 years.

Also maybe some more seasoned members and chime in here but are they any obvious reasons for not purchasing a privately owned NSX in the 21-26k range? I am talking 91-94 models with around 75k miles.

Why would you do the belt and water pump...they were just replaced June 30th, 2009? It's only been 2.5 years. I think the only concern is the clutch. And I'm sure the price will come down...they said they were firm when they were asking $36.9k a few months ago.

Why would you do the belt and water pump...they were just replaced June 30th, 2009? It's only been 2.5 years. I think the only concern is the clutch. And I'm sure the price will come down...they said they were firm when they were asking $36.9k a few months ago.

Didn't catch that in the CL ad.

Khemist,
I am not really scared of purchasing 91s anymore since I just saw one with excellent condition. My homework just became finding a better NSX with cheaper price. I think the dealer vehicle might be in tiptop condition from outside and inside but I don't think it's really worth almost 35k in my book.

Because I am looking for something to drive around than let it sit on my garage. Yes, some people might think I am crazy but I am trying to buy NSX to daily drive it. Mileage doesn't matter if it's 30k or 50k because I will be depreciating it by racking up more miles (I believe you only live once, I will enjoy my cars). Then again I'd want to stay away from 100K miles for obvious reasons.

Anyhow after time spent on prime and market, I may be able to purchase that "perfect" one someday.

Also black isn't on top of color my list because I have trouble detailing black cars. They look really good washed and waxed but I am just horrible taking care of them. I would like red, white, silver and then black. I know there are more red than black but it looks like in CO it's harder to find it locally.

Khemist,
I am not really scared of purchasing 91s anymore since I just saw one with excellent condition. My homework just became finding a better NSX with cheaper price. I think the dealer vehicle might be in tiptop condition from outside and inside but I don't think it's really worth almost 35k in my book.

Because I am looking for something to drive around than let it sit on my garage. Yes, some people might think I am crazy but I am trying to buy NSX to daily drive it. Mileage doesn't matter if it's 30k or 50k because I will be depreciating it by racking up more miles (I believe you only live once, I will enjoy my cars). Then again I'd want to stay away from 100K miles for obvious reasons.

Anyhow after time spent on prime and market, I may be able to purchase that "perfect" one someday.

Also black isn't on top of color my list because I have trouble detailing black cars. They look really good washed and waxed but I am just horrible taking care of them. I would like red, white, silver and then black. I know there are more red than black but it looks like in CO it's harder to find it locally.

I feel the same way. If you are going to drive it I don't see the low mileage premiums being worth it. Im looking in the 91-94 range mostly because they are more affordable than the newer examples. Plus no emissions on cars built before 1996.

Since these cars won't rust like steel cars I would say the biggest things to worry about are any collision/body work done on them and the "snap ring" transmissions.

Last edited:
Went to the Dealer today,

checked out the car and it wasn't a planned visit so I didn't get to drive it.

It looks fantastic outside and inside. Jeff sales guy seems like he isn't too informed about NSX and like wagyshag told us, you are better off talking to the GM about the car.

He said they are firm on the price and would not budge.. oh and they have 2 month 2000 or 3000 miles warranty that comes with the car. I guess it's not much but I guess it's better than nothing. And they didn't mention what kind of warranty it is but I am just guessing it's powertrain.

Everyone just keep in mind that this warranty will not cover "Wear" items like a clutch.

Just wondering,
was the GM of this Acura dealership still John Mark Osborne?

Back