• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Decisions, Descisions, Decisions - Potential NSX Buyer <long>

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Potential NSX Buyer <long>

"Hello everyone"...<Hello Poison_S>

I have a problem. I am a caroholic. I can't seem to have enough of them. In the past five years, I have bought and sold many sporty cars that include three Cobra Mustangs, a Honda S2000, a Contour SVT, and an Audi S4, which is currently my daily driver.

My latest desire is to own an Acura NSX, but it's not that easy. I currently have one bad-ass ride, a 2003 Cobra Mustang that is modded to my liking. The car goes like a bat out of hell with 400 rwhp! It handles pretty well (I said well, not incredible) with the suspension mods I have. IMO, it looks great, but not in the same exotic way as an NSX. I am aware that both the cars have their strengths* and if I could have it my way, I'd have both cars. But, as most, funds are not unlimited.

I really want to drive an NSX to see if everything I read matches what I envision and desire, but since there are not many to begin with, in my area, I am left needing input from you guys and girls.

My loaded questions for the board are...

1) Have any of you come from muscle cars to sports cars?
If so, give me your impressions of what impressed you the
most about each distinctly different ride?

2) Would you buy your NSX again? or What would you buy to replace your NSX?

3) Given the HP wars currently underway, do you ever feel that your car *N E E D S* more power?

I'm looking fwd to the biased and hopefully helpful insight to this incredible car.

I'll probably have more questions after hearing these answers.

Oh, and be easy on the new guy with your replies. -:D

TIA

attachment.php
vs.
nsxzanardi6.jpg

* NSX Strengths
1) incredible handling
2) exotic/sophisticated looks
3) excellent quality
4) relatively low maintenance
5) great all-around performance (but could use more ponies)
Cobra Strengths
1) incredible POWER
2) sporty/aggressive looks
3) inexpensive to mod w/stratospheric HP potential
4) appeals to the masses
5) inexpensive to maintain

You certianly posted a great question Poison. I currently own a healvily modded convertible Mustang (482rwhp) and an NSX and they are two completely different animals. Because you are a torque loving person, and seeing that you currently have an '03 Cobra, you will be dissapointed in only having the NSX as your sports car. When it's a nice day out down here in Florida you'd expect that I'd prefer to be driving a convertible, but that isn't the case. I routinelty take my NSX out and leave the Mustang in the garage. I'd say that in the past two years I've put 5,000 miles on my NSX and only 500 on my Mustang. It not because I feel my Mustang is more important, but because the NSX is so much more enjoyable and comfortable to drive. Maybe you can afford both by getting both and earlier NSX and Cobra for the same price as one newer NSX. This way you'll have the best of both worlds: the raw power of a Cobra, and the finesse and ownership of an exotic NSX.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions, but if you do decide to get an NSX you will not doubt your decision.

I have/had only two situations where I wished to have more power:
On the german autobahn at top speed when an AMG Mercedes, a Porsche or a Ferrari passed me with appr. 300 kph
on the race track when some Porsche GT 3s pull away after a corner only to be an obstacle for me at the next corner when I brake later then they do.

In normal street driving I was always satisfied with the hps.

I have a 97-T and I love muscle cars as well. I also own a 67 camaro that is set up for street/track. I love both cars and each fulfills a different desire.

The camaro can smoke the tires in 2nd gear from about 20 mph. It's fun to me working on it also. Completely different animals!

Sounds like you really love your mustang and if you can wing it, have them both. To me, the NSX is a little down in power compared to many other modern sports cars but it doesn't bother me. If it did, I would just put a supercharger on it and maybe headers.

I have no regrets about purchasing the NSX and the only car that could possible take its place in my garage would be a Ferarri. 355 or 360 not likely though:D

Poison_S said:
2) Would you buy your NSX again?
Yes.

Poison_S said:
3) Given the HP wars currently underway, do you ever feel that your car *N E E D S* more power?
No.

I drive my NSX mostly on the track. The fun is in the turns, where additional power won't make much difference. Additional power makes a difference on the straights, which are IMO not as much fun.

Poison,
I made the transition from a 94 Mustang GT 5.0 (daily driver for 6 yrs) to a 95 NSX-T and let me tell you,I never looked back! Although my GT only had Flowmasters and K&N, that smile-creating torque was always on tap. But the NSX is so much more car than the Mustang in so many ways. My opinions from logging 140K miles on the GT and 5K on the NSX:

Mustang (+)
* The unmistakeable deep growl, especially at startup. The kind that makes people move out of your way :D I do miss that.
* The torque at any speed below 75. neck-snapping...
* Bulletproof engine and drivetrain. I put 180K miles on mine and never replaced a T-belt or a clutch!!
* Juvenile antics like fishtails & burnouts were sooo easy.

Mustang (-)
* Ergonomics will kill you. This is not a commuter car. The shifter on the Mustang is so far forward is feels like cable rows. The overstuffed seats are not your back's friend.
* Handling is so-so and tail-happy. You can use this oversteer to your advantage but it's not always safe.
* Cop magnet. Even a cop who pulled me used those words.
* You get stereotyped as a boy racer / hot rodder.

NSX (+)
* Styling is on a different level, you're talking exotic now.
* Fit and finish is superb.
* Handling must be experienced to be understood. telepathic
* Ergonomics are perfect, shifter is like butter.
* I love the sound at any RPM from the cockpit. almost 360-ish
* With the top off there's no better way to enjoy the day.

NSX (-)
* Down on power a little but still exiting.
* Eats rear tires like candy.
* Your local Acura dealer treats you like a Ferrari owner in terms of service costs.

choose your poison

I had a C5 convertible before the NSX, loved the Vette, great torque, great sound, good handling, could chirp in 4 gears, no maintenance problems, then I got the NSX. The best way to describe the main difference (IMHO) is brute force vs finesse. If you get your jollies from brute force, the NSX will not satisfy that (I don't know if SCing it will give you what you want), but trust me, you can smoke almost anything on the road on a course that has some turns/twisties. If all you want to do is the 1/4mile, stay away from the NSX, it will not satisfy you. The only real expense on the maintenance side is what someone else already posted, the car eats tires, but what fun you'll have between replacements!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

After having owned both a '91 NSX and '02 Mustang GT, I can honestly say the only thing I like better about the Mustang is the sound system!

kgb_agent said:
* Your local Acura dealer treats you like a Ferrari owner in terms of service costs.
I don't know where this comment comes from. My local Acura dealer - in fact, both of the dealers I use in my area - treat me like an Integra owner in terms of service costs.

Sounds like you need to switch dealers.

I used to be a dedicated Cobra driver ( I owned 5 over the last 7 years). I switched from a modded '99 Cobra to the NSX and I have never looked back. I don't miss the hp difference at all, and the handling just doesn't compare. I drove the '03 Cobra and can honestly say that I would not give up my NSX for it. I would definitely miss my NSX if I chose to drive something different.

Feedback

Great feedback, everyone.

Many thanks to those providing detailed insight and experience.

I was about 80% committed to the idea of the NSX prior to this post and the feedback has only strengthened my interest. I was also considering a 993 P-car, but the maintenace has me leaning toward the NSX.

Anyone in the central Ohio area?

nsxtasy said:
I don't know where this comment comes from. My local Acura dealer - in fact, both of the dealers I use in my area - treat me like an Integra owner in terms of service costs.

Sounds like you need to switch dealers.

Perhaps this should be another thread, sorry.

Maybe I just had bad luck. I had a leak at the oil pan gasket and I found some loose nuts around the pan while doing an oil change. I retorqued the nuts properly and in the proper sequence and the leak stayed the same (10-12 drops per drive).

I took it in to have the gasket replaced (providing my own oil) and the bill was $180. Fine. The next day the leak was at least twice as bad. Upon returning they told me the pan was rippled from overtightening (I have a new torque wrench and was extremely careful). I'm thinking they did the damage, but there's no way to prove it. I had to get a new pan to the tune of $260 and this doesn't inlcude the oil and $200 they goodwilled! So $440 and two trips for an oil pan / gasket. Oh, and why did they good will $200? Because the "technician should have caught the problem when he replaced the gasket the first time." DUH - he didn't spot the problem because there was no problem until HE overtorqued the old pan!! aarrgghhh!

The biggest downside for the NSX for me is how much it costs to mod. I wish it was more in line with "normal" cars.

Like ken said, power is really only an issue for long straights or daily driving. On a track the NSX has MORE than enough.. better to invest in driving school.

A CTSC still wont give you neck snapping power, but it feels like a V8 vs a V6 IMO.

A turbo should snap your neck all over the place:)

kgb_agent said:
Maybe I just had bad luck.
Maybe. Or, maybe the dealer in your town doesn't do much NSX service, or their people are not that good.

One thing about the NSX is that proper service for non-routine items often requires experience in working on the car - for problem resolution as well as for knowing the tricks and shortcuts that can reduce the time spent on a task.

Any good independent mechanic can perform routine tasks on the NSX, like oil changes, changes in brake pads, rotors, fluids, etc. But for more complicated tasks, like clutch replacements, valve adjustments, timing belt replacements, as well as for diagnosing problems, I would suggest taking it to a place with a lot of NSX experience. In your case, that would mean driving 120 miles to Davis Acura in Langhorne so that Bernie can work on it. I think that's very much worth the drive. (Just as I drove mine 100 miles to Acura of Brookfield for some involved transmission work on mine.)

Columbus Member

Thanks for the reply, chumch.

Juice, you out there? I'll try sending juice a PM.

Poison
Like you, I need to try so many different cars. In 5 years...Porsche 928s, Porsche 911 Carrera, Porsche 928s4, Ferrari 308GTS QV, Porsche 928GT, Detomaso Pantera(stroked/FI), Ferrari 512bb, Acura NSX-T, Acura NSX coupe, Vintage 550 Spyder(186hp @ 1350 lbs). All great for different reasons...aesthetics, power, handling, practicality....Never disliked any one of them, and wish I didn't have to sell one each time I get a new one.
Compared to a hp/ft.lb monster like a Cobra, you will be disappointed for the lack thereof in an NSX, but other areas will excite you more. I am sure you will be happy with the tradeoff.
I am about 3.5 hours from Columbus in Louisville. I am in Columbus every month but not in the NSX. If you can't find one in your area, you are more than welcome to check mine out.

Doug,

It's good to be among other caroholics :D

I'd like to take you up on that offer when the weather permits.

Nice selection of cars. How would you compare the 911 experiences to the NSX experiences?

I have thought about a C2S and C4S 993 along with thoughts of the NSX, but I believe the nod would go to the NSX for overall ownership experience.

I'd be interested in your take.

kgb_agent said:
Perhaps this should be another thread, sorry.

Maybe I just had bad luck. I had a leak at the oil pan gasket and I found some loose nuts around the pan while doing an oil change. I retorqued the nuts properly and in the proper sequence and the leak stayed the same (10-12 drops per drive).

I took it in to have the gasket replaced (providing my own oil) and the bill was $180. Fine. The next day the leak was at least twice as bad. Upon returning they told me the pan was rippled from overtightening (I have a new torque wrench and was extremely careful). I'm thinking they did the damage, but there's no way to prove it. I had to get a new pan to the tune of $260 and this doesn't inlcude the oil and $200 they goodwilled! So $440 and two trips for an oil pan / gasket. Oh, and why did they good will $200? Because the "technician should have caught the problem when he replaced the gasket the first time." DUH - he didn't spot the problem because there was no problem until HE overtorqued the old pan!! aarrgghhh!
kgb,i'm with you on this one!the dealers in K.C. will screw you good!we only have two dealers and they work together to keep the prices high!

Back