• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Did I make a bad buy?

Hey all - kind of new here, with a question for the experts...

I just bought a '91 NSX, Blk/Blk. It had several minor issues that I know of (needs new amps, rotors, hatch and trunk struts, window servicing, and it smells like dog inside). It also has evidence of salt in the engine compartment and under the front hood, as well as a minor scrape on the front right wheel well.

On the other hand, it's a one-owner car with extensive records, and only has 83k. It has a new-ish clutch, and has had the timing belt done. It is basically stock, though with off-brand tires.

Based on what I've read here, this car should have cost me well over $22k, but it didn't. What might I have missed in my due diligence that would explain that?

The salt problem alone might turn people away. 22k for a car with evidence of salt/rust doesnt sound right, since you can get a clean car, 91 with those miles for around 26k now. I hope everything goes well as the saying is sometimes you get what you pay for, unless you just get really lucky. My car i paid less than the average for and (not that it was previous owners fault) but i just replaced the master and slave cylinders, there was 1 drip of water in the interior, and i need the major maintaince still. I still got a deal though as it seems you may have. Did you get it preinspected. Those guys can tell you what you are really in for.

Welcome!

The things you named for the most part are common.It doesnt snow were I live so I cant talk about the salt problem.

Engine hatch & trunk struts are normal wear and tear items.Science of speed has hatch struts for a very good price.I dont remember were I bought my new trunk struts from though.

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/hatch_struts/

Since you have a 91 you might also wanna look into these.
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/steering_rack_bushings/

Window problems are really common so dont think your alone.You might wanna check on the climate control too.If you look on ebay there is usually someone offering a rebuild service.

Now the dog smell your on your own.Febreeze might be your best friend. :tongue:

Yeah, none of the stuff I know of is a big deal - I already got he hatch and trunk struts taken care of, the amps have been shipped off (to Brian) to get rebuilt, and I have the grease to take care of the windows when I get to it. CCU is good for now, but that's a good watch-out. The salt is what it is, but what I'm wondering is what might be lurking beneath the surface to make me regret this.

Does salt hurt aluminum? It sounds like you got a pretty good deal, take care of the known issues and you should have a great car that you can make money on if you ever want to sell.

Yeah, none of the stuff I know of is a big deal - I already got he hatch and trunk struts taken care of, the amps have been shipped off (to Brian) to get rebuilt, and I have the grease to take care of the windows when I get to it. CCU is good for now, but that's a good watch-out. The salt is what it is, but what I'm wondering is what might be lurking beneath the surface to make me regret this.

Buy used and you always have to have a bit of concern about what you might not know up front. Sounds like you paid a right price and have some routine stuff to deal with. You are an owner now and that is the up side. Stop worrying about the downside because...she's yours now.
Enjoy the car.

I just bought a '91 NSX, Blk/Blk. It had several minor issues that I know of (needs new amps, rotors, hatch and trunk struts, window servicing, and it smells like dog inside). It also has evidence of salt in the engine compartment and under the front hood, as well as a minor scrape on the front right wheel well.

Is their corrosion due to salt or just salt residue in the engine bay? If it's the later I would spend some time detailing the engine bay and trying to get rid of it.

As for the price, I don't think its good or bad, probably where it should be assuming no major mechanical problems. The other items you mentioned are normal and easy to fix.

If the windows havne't had the "Fix it thingy's" do that when you are greasing the windows. You can buy them from SOS.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ce_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/window_repair/

You will need a pair.

Brian K can take care of your CCU as well. He does routinely sell ebay ads to get this repaired so maybe you can get a good deal if you go that way. He's good fast and reliable.

Buy used and you always have to have a bit of concern about what you might not know up front. Sounds like you paid a right price and have some routine stuff to deal with. You are an owner now and that is the up side. Stop worrying about the downside because...she's yours now.
Enjoy the car.

+ 1. The NSX was the first car I've owned that I have really gotten into to enjoy, repair and upgrade. Its not an overnight process. Make prime a regular reading habit. When someone has a problem, read the issue and responses, even if your car doesn't have the same problem. Learn what's going on with the NSX as it ages and not only will you become obsessed with the car, at least for me, I appreciate the brain power that was used 2 decades ago to design, create and make this vehicle. I've had my NSX 2 years. Today, I'm a daily Prime reader and the NSX has opened doors to new friends and activities. Enjoy the car every day!

You made a good choice!! yea there are different issues per NSX,, and most have the same problems,, but you will love the car,, the struts for the trunk / engine you can get from the dealer for around 120 bucks OEM, the salt,, dont worry about it use some degreaser and do a good engine clean,, get new tires in the rear,, you'll burn through them fast till you get use to the rear wheel power,,I burned thru a rear set within a month,, and dont dont dont race anyone,, your car is for looks, and you feel the road,dont race it,,, baby it,,or intill you get upgrades,, if you do race do a rolling start,, the VTEC sucks shifting from 1st to second,, just a few facts i have learned thru trial an error!! but prime will help you with your needs,, also you will treasure you car more than life!!

Last edited:
For the smell, of course get leather cleaner and conditioner...LEXOL brand works. Sprinkle a lot of baking soda on the carpet and let it sit overnight or 2 and vacuum it up. It removed the "smoke" smell from another car I had. I hate air fresheners but I bought a light one "beach sand" and left it in the car in the sun w/ the windows rolled up to heat it up. Smoke smell was gone in a week after doing all of this. Oh, before you do the baking soda, wash the floormats with soap and water. Let it COMPLETELY dry before re installing into the car and do not put the baking soda on it if it's remotely wet. Good luck.

Jeff

On the other hand, it's a one-owner car with extensive records, and only has 83k. It has a new-ish clutch, and has had the timing belt done. It is basically stock, though with off-brand tires.

Based on what I've read here, this car should have cost me well over $22k, but it didn't. What might I have missed in my due diligence that would explain that?

I paid $24k with under 35k miles on my '93 2 years ago.

Are u sure it was salt damage? pics?

Did you check to see if ur car is in the snap-ring range?

Last edited:
Plan on spending the next 12 months tinkering and getting things exactly as you want them. If it comes down to it, removing carpet is not a terrible job. This gives you the opportunity to do some serious interior cleaning. I did mine way back. It makes carpet cleaning a snap and it's also a rewarding feeling in the end.

The salt problem alone might turn people away. 22k for a car with evidence of salt/rust doesnt sound right, since you can get a clean car, 91 with those miles for around 26k now. I hope everything goes well as the saying is sometimes you get what you pay for, unless you just get really lucky. My car i paid less than the average for and (not that it was previous owners fault) but i just replaced the master and slave cylinders, there was 1 drip of water in the interior, and i need the major maintaince still. I still got a deal though as it seems you may have. Did you get it preinspected. Those guys can tell you what you are really in for.

Great pic of your NSX in your Avatar! Great angle.

The best way to get rid of the Buyer's Remorse---> go drive your NSX!!!

To me, any car is a bad buy if it sits in the garage. Eventually the earlier models will need replacement parts anyways (due to age, wear,etc), but once the service is done then you've got a brand new car again:biggrin:

I haven't seen anyone do a graph on it yet but I have a belief that the price drops off rapidly once it's in the 80-90k mile range for no other reason than most people don't want to touch a high mileage exotic car with a 10 foot pole. However, anyone who does any research (especially here on Prime) knows that high mileage is not something to fear and, in fact, regular use of the vehicle can often result in less wear on many components over the long haul.

In 2001 I did that research and took the chance and bought a '91 with 90k miles but with new clutch and timing belt (like you did) as my daily driver. That was 75k miles and 9 years ago and, for the most part, the strategy has worked fine. Other than the common trunk struts, window regulators, CCU and stereo issues that have already been mentioned, the only serious "semi-surprise" expenses I've had were ball joints; A/C upgrade to R134; and ABS upgrade. If you're like most of us, you'll probably spend more on upgrades (exhaust, headers, ECU, wheels, etc) than you will on repairs. Oh, and I drive mine in Canadian winters so I can confidently say that a little salt likely isn't going to cause you any problems.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll put it out of my mind until something goes wrong.

That's exactly what I did, and I couldn't be happier. As a matter of fact, I learned that my particular car was in much better shape than I initially thought. The initial shock of buying a 16 year old car naturally makes you skeptical.

After my fear subsided and my eyes opened, I looked around the car and realised how new she really was.

The same thing happens the more you drive. The noises and drive characteristics are different from conventional cars. Once you realise they are normal to the NSX, the enjoyment builds. No doubt it will for you too.

There's one big problem keeping it off the road at the moment...

Attachments

• DSC01240.jpg
    DSC01240.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 87
Back