• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Did my Climate control Break again?

Ok I had my Climate control repaired by BrianK (thanks) now its has been about 2 years and summer is coming up. I hit my A/C button on my climate control and it doesn't turn on. Heater works fine but no A/C or any A/C indication. I cycle through some of the other buttons and notice that the defroster button for the windshield doesn't work either. The mode button works and the outside air and re-circulating are switch only works when i turn off and on the Control unit ( basically i cant change them unless i it "auto" and then "off"). I check the fuses #4(15A), #21(10A), #36(10A) and #37(10A) and i found that fuse 36#(10A) was blown and replaced it. Still no change. Could this mean my climate control broke again, and can anyone repair this? Pls Help is getting hot here!! :confused:

will it still shows indication on the climate control? like "A/C on" where do i check my freon i'm trying to search it on the service manual and here

Last edited:
Yes pressing the ac button should toggle ac on/off. Some time the buttons don't go far enough is and some times the contacts get dirty. In full auto you should have AC even if the buttons are not working.

when you have the system on, and the ac button off and you press the ac button do you hear a click sound come from the engine or your rpm idle bumps a little? then there is atleast some freon in the system.and you compressor is working, possible the system is very very low on freon

if you press the ac button and hear nothing and or the idle does not move
then you have a bad ac compressor or no freon in the system like brianK said.

next question is your car the old R12 or the newer R134a
if its R12 you need to take it to a dealer/ a/c car shop and have them test and fill. if it the newer R134a then you can go to a local auto parts store and picked up a can of R134a and try filling it. these small cans have a sealant in them so it may stop the leak if one is present.

now if you put a can in and it starts to get cold then you know your were low on refridg. when your filling it and it blows cold on the passengerside only you need another can of R134a when the car starts blowing cold on both the passenger and driver side your done. cycle the system for about 15 minutes and you should be good.

hope this helps

as for if the CCU buttons are not making the proper connections you may need to take it apart and clean the connection.
or send it to Briank for repair.

Last edited:
I think what you are missing is that the a/c system has a pressure switch so even if the pressure of refrigerant is low, your a/c will not activate even though your switch indicates "on" - as Brian says you'll need a recharge most likely.

You might also want to check and see if the fuse blew for some reason. It might be an easy fix.

You can manually apply 12+ voltage to your compressor while the car is running to activate the clutch. Look through the sight glass to see if there are any motion or bubbles from freon. If no motion, then you will need a charge. You should make sure that you repair the leak first though. AC systems are closed and should never need recharge unless there is a leak. Pros have dye they can put through your system and with a black light they can idenfify the leak.

You can manually apply 12+ voltage to your compressor while the car is running to activate the clutch. Look through the sight glass to see if there are any motion or bubbles from freon. If no motion, then you will need a charge. You should make sure that you repair the leak first though. AC systems are closed and should never need recharge unless there is a leak. Pros have dye they can put through your system and with a black light they can idenfify the leak.

Do not force the compressor to run. If the freon has leaked out which is most likely the case runing the compressor dry will damage it.

Back