• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

differences between auto & manual???

Are there any really preformance differences between the auto and the manual trannies? I am looking at 91-93 models. Is it right that there is a 18 hp difference between the two? Is it noticeable? Thanks I am new to all this and looking to get one.

Thanks,
Justin

yes ,there is a performance difference..i have driven both and own an auto..part of the difference is in the horsepower you previously noted but also i believe the auto is geared differently with only 4-speed vs the 5-speed manual...i went with the auto for convenience as i drive alot of miles and work from my car..earlier road tests showed 1/4 mile times half a second to a full second slower for the auto..not huge but noticeable

The difference is definitely noticable. The auto cars also have power steering.

Why would the factory give the Auto less power? And does anyone know how they cut the power on the Auto? I heard that on the 300ZX twin turbo the factory cuts the 20hp by installing different cams on the Auto, could the factory have done the same thing to the Auto NSX?

The 300zx auto has the same power as the manual. The turbos in the auto are smaller to fit around the tranny, but the same power. The last year Twin Turbos have 20 hp less but those are for different reasons, with the ecu (which it is no longer) and different governmental restrictions.

From what I heard autos suck up more power than a manual due to drivetrain loss. So if thats true you have twice the handicap. Less HP and a less efficient tranny.

Originally posted by AndrewB93:
Why would the factory give the Auto less power?

Honda's thinking seems to be that people who want automatics are not quite as performance-oriented. The autos also reach their peak HP at a lower RPM than the manuals which is kind of in keeping with that idea. Same for the power steering.

And does anyone know how they cut the power on the Auto? I heard that on the 300ZX twin turbo the factory cuts the 20hp by installing different cams on the Auto, could the factory have done the same thing to the Auto NSX?

Different cams, different computer (with lower redline too) and the auto tranny all account for part of the loss of power on the auto NSXs.

Back