• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dirty throttle body

Whats the best way to clean this part?

I noticed that the inside has a layer of greasy stuff on the inside... luckily no corrosion though....

Throttle bodies on street cars usually don't get very dirty, but it is easy to clean if you are mechanically inclined. If you feel confident pulling it off, just do so, remove any rubber hoses attached, and clean it with a regular parts cleaner/degreaser.

If you are not confident pulling it off, get a small clean sponge or rag with the sovent on it and wipe out the inside as best you can with it still on the car. Don't go crazy cleaning up the solvents - a small amount running through the intake won't damage anyting.

If you are talking about the outside of the throttle body, a mild engine cleaner will take care of it.

Speaking of buildup, I noticed some white chalky substance located inside the duct going between the engine and the air filter assembly? What is this stuff?

All NSXs have this white, flaky material in the intake duct...... I've come to my own conclusion that some may call crazy... I believe that it is a 'soap' or cleaner of sort designed to be 'injested' by the throttle body that actually cleans... hmm? Could this be true? There is really no other explanation for this long lasting white stuff. If you put some on your fingers and move it around, it will disappear leaving your fingers smooth (like soap).... oh well, whatever, that's my guess and I'm stickin' to it.

Sounds to me like the white powdery stuff is simply that aluminum oxide residue that gets on aluminum. Perhaps it collect there because of moisture/temperature?

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

You must have CAI and someone was sniffing the white stuff near your NSX (just kidding!)

Back