• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

DIY brake master cylinder install?

• Thread starter Thread starter Q
  • Start date Start date

Q

Experienced Member
Can the brake master cylinder be installed easily as a DIY? Is there anything unique to the NSX to be aware of while installing a new master cylinder? I've bench bled/installed them in other cars with no problems, but it seems like most NSX guys leave it to the pros. Any thoughts?

Thanks drew.

I did review those articles, but they don't specifically mention the brake master cylinder procedure. I understand the complete bleeding procedure, but it's the adjustment procedure I had difficulty with. In the shop manual it talks about adjusting the pushrod-to-piston clearance in regard to the brake booster, and it mentions a special tool to accomplish this task. I think this might be the reason why most let the dealer do it, which is what I decided to do. In the end I figure it's worth it to me to spend the ~$200 labor and let them worry about it! :redface:

Anyone do this successfully at home? Any issues with that adjustment procedure?

the shop manual it talks about adjusting the pushrod-to-piston clearance

The JP replacement parts are highly accurate. If you don't touch adjustment nut you can just R&R the cylinder. The nut is easily turned, so be careful.

I've replaced a dozen or so master cylinders and I've never had a problem.

You can make your own gauge out of carboard if you really like.

I'll bet big dollars that the dealer won't even use the SST, and I'll bet a quite few bucks that they don't even have the tool at all. Have them show it to you "so you can understand their processes better...", their response might surprise you.

Drew

drew said:
I'll bet big dollars that the dealer won't even use the SST, and I'll bet a quite few bucks that they don't even have the tool at all. Have them show it to you "so you can understand their processes better...", their response might surprise you.

Drew

I talked to an ex-NSX tech yesterday and he told me the same thing. Most have their own home-made tool or method. When I pick it up from the dealer, I'm going to ask the tech what his method was. Thanks for the info.

Since I am helping Sean out...

I went to the Acura Dealer in Naperville, IL and talked to "MOE"...go figure...

He and his "butt-buddy" both came out of the bay and said that if the part that is being replaced is a true OEM brake master cylinder from Acura, then you DON'T have to use the pushrod adjusting guage at all...in fact...you only use it if you are rebuilding the Brake Booster....although Honda no longer recommends this...

Does this make sense?

although Honda no longer recommends this...

I can't imagine Honda not recommending this step. What happens if the previous installation was botched or the replacement part is slightly out of spec? No, Honda MUST recommend it and I agree with them.

If you rebuild the brake booster correctly: the push rod shouldn't need adjusting either.

Too bad Sean didn't state his specific question, we could have saved him time and money. The dealer doesn't check because it is extremely unlikely that any adjustement is needed and any problems will manifest itself pretty quickly (sloppy or dragging brakes).

Drew

mystican and I did the master cylinder install yesterday, and everything seems to be fine. Wasn't too hard either, had the new one on in like half an hour. The old piston length and new piston length was identical, and no adjustment was necessary.

Back