• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DME Engine Torque Damper: 91-05 NSX

It tells us that since axis b is fixed, and as the engine moves along axis a, the damper, represented by axis c must compress.

I concede that having the damper mounted at anything less than parallel with the axis of rotation of the engine makes it less efficient but d0h, that is easily compensated for by the strength of the chosen damper.

What is so God Damned hard to understand about this?[/QUOTE]

well, thats the problem isn't it?
and here it is- it will not only compress but mostly rotate about the free ends , pushing on the block from the side and twisting itself. any compressive damping benefit will be in 15% range.
like i said, you are correct with the force-split explanation but it only applies to solid anchor points.

and here it is- it will not only compress but mostly rotate about the free ends , pushing on the block from the side and twisting itself. any compressive damping benefit will be in 15% range.
like i said, you are correct with the force-split explanation but it only applies to solid anchor points.

I don't understand what you mean by "solid anchor points". The engine functions as a shock absorber. Like a shock absorber the two mounting points must be able to pivot. When one side of a triangle changes length, the angles between the sides must also change. The sum of the angles in a triangle are always 180 degrees.

Shock absorbers in cars pivot this way at both ends. In the case of coilovers the top end is mounted in a pillow ball mount which is a spherical bearing which allows the top of the shock to pivot.

Shock absorbers in cars are set at an angle to the up and down movement of the wheel, just like the engine damper is at an angle to the fore and aft movement of the engine.

I continue to be baffled at the inability of some of you to comprehend this.

Last edited:
Hi,

Pretty interesting (all the controversy)...

Well, I'm fairly new to the NSX community but I thought I'd share this with you. This engine torque dampner, does it serve the same purpose as the "dogbone" that the 2.8 V6 Fiero engines have (factory, mind you)?

I'll admit it, I've owned Fiero's and the dogbone rubber bushings wear out and crack. There was significant engine movement (especially at shifting) that I broke an engine mount.

The part is to the right of the picture with (red) polyurethane bushings (replacing the black rubber OEM ones).

Tony A.

Attachments

• dog bone.jpg
    dog bone.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 201
Hi,

Pretty interesting (all the controversy)...

Well, I'm fairly new to the NSX community but I thought I'd share this with you. This engine torque dampner, does it serve the same purpose as the "dogbone" that the 2.8 V6 Fiero engines have (factory, mind you)?

No. It is just another engine mount; just uniquely named due to its shape.

Which I might add, the urethane one goes for about $55. Polished too. Almost better than JDM..... I said 'almost'. :wink:

dogbone_500.jpg

Last edited:
Back